Explosions in the Sky?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by markom89, Feb 8, 2008.

1. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Anyone here into EITS?
    I think they're a brilliant band, and have been a fan of theirs for some time now.

I was also wondering if you guys know what the boys from EITS are using gear-wise, effects-wise, in specific. Are they basically running just loopers and delays? If so, what models?

Hope that there are some other EITS fans out there, besides me!

P.S. If you're into them, and that style of music in general, feel free to list some other bands similar to them.

:)

2. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change! Supporting Member

Listen to a Silver Mt. Zion but really, none of those bands are using much in the way of effects. Every one of the ambient bands out there is about an organic sound without spacy or modulated parts so buying a lot of fancy pedals will only take you farther from the stock fender reverb and simple overdrive sounds that make up their music. Its about the notes they play and hhow they play them. Very little depends on what they are playing through.

dani3l likes this.
  3. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

ah, thanks! I'll check those guys out:)
    Don't EITS use loopers and delays, though? I swear I can hear them using delay on a few tracks... and despite them having 3 guitarists, I'm pretty sure loopers are involved in some parts.
    Any idea what they're using in this video (one of my fav.EITS pieces)?:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbe8RKfaIjU

4. yellowecho

yellowecho Member

I saw them not too long ago and each guitarist was running two DL-4s (expression pedals), RV-3s, Big Muffs, and Fender amps. I remember seeing a toronado and a strat as well.

Bands that are similar? Stars of the Lid, Mogwai, Godspeed! you Black Emperor, Do Make Say Think....

5. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

While Mogwai are still my favorite in the genre (got into them 1st years ago and you always love your 1st best), Russian Circles are pretty impressive...
    Here's some of them live... give it a couple minutes to kick in:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3lXP0COgR4

They use a lot of looping to get more parts in with the 3 piece arrangement.
    Their album, "Enter" is damn good.

6. yellowecho

yellowecho Member

My favorite is A Silver Mt. Zion by far, but I don't necessarily think they really sound much like Explosions...

7. sharkminusbear

sharkminusbear Member

+1 Russian Circles. They are the coolest new band I've found lately.

8. nic

nic Member

I have some pics in my old phone of their setup. I climbed up on stage after the show. :)

dl4
    rv3
    os2

that I can remember for sure, I'll look later and post back up.

9. puddinstone

puddinstone Supporting Member

there are some shots of their pedals in pedalboard of the stars...they are fairly recent so maybe in the last 3-4 pages of the thread.

10. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]GUITARS:[/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mark plays a black Fender Toronado with standard Atomic Humbucker pickups. This model is sometimes confused with a Jaguar or Jazzmaster. Even though this "low budget" guitar is manufactured in Ensenada (Mexico), it is highly praised by musicians and critics alike.[/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Michael is the only one in the band who plays two different instruments onstage. He was using a tobacco sunburst Washburn XB-100 with standard pickups. Now his bass is a black OLP MM2. His guitar is a beautiful blue and white Ibanez Talman (unsure of the exact model), with standard "lipstick" pickups.[/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Munaf is the owner of a Lake Placid blue Fender Stratocaster (unspecified model). The pickups appear to be the standard single coil type. More recently he has been playing a Fender Telecaster that appears to be Sherwood green. Both instruments have been heavily decorated with a collage of cartoon strips, miscellaneous images and graffiti.[/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]AMPLIFIERS:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mark plays through a Fender '65 Twin Reverb Reissue.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    Michael uses a Peavy T-Max bass head, along with an Ampeg SVT-410AV (4x10 cabinet).
    [/FONT]​
    Munaf plugs into a Fender Dual Showman head with a Fender 2x12 cabinet.
    [/FONT]​
    EFFECTS:
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mark sheds tears with an Electro-Harmonix Russian Big Muff, along with a Tech21 Sansamp GT-2. He also employs a Line 6 DL-4, an Arion Stage Tuner, and finally a Boss FV-50L volume pedal.[/FONT]​
    Michael rocks with an Ibanez Tube King, as well as a Boss DD-5 and an Arion Stage Tuner. It also appears that he is now using a MXR Distortion Plus, along with a Tech21 Sansamp GT-2 and a Boss RV-3.
    [/FONT]​
    Munaf makes magic with an Ibanez DE-7 and a Vox V830 Distortion Booster. He also uses an Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner in addition to a Tech21 Sansamp GT-2. Recently, the guitarist has been spotted using a Boss RV-3 Digital Reverb/Delay. An E-Bow and a small metal tube (he taps on the guitar strings) are some of the special tools he uses at key moments.
    [/FONT]​

11. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

yup i saw them a while back last year and it was similar to always, the delay magic has been de7's, dl4's, and rv3's for several years now... they're pretty consistent on the road. at the shows ive seen anyways.

looooooove them. so good.

12. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

13. utterhack

utterhack Gold Supporting Member

LOL Munaf is the corksniffer :)

14. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I LOL'D at that, too :eek::(
    :)

15. Stravinsky

Stravinsky Member

Going to see them in about a month - they put on a killer show!

16. Merelington

Merelington Member

Here are some pictures of their pedals I took last year at one of their shows:

Munaf's pedals:

[​IMG]

& Here are Michael's with Mark's further back:

[​IMG]

I've been listening to them forever and they finally started coming to the toronto area more frequently than they used to which is great as they put on THE BEST performances. Mono; who also on their label, put on quite a show as well. Other great instrumental bands to check out:

-Explosions in the sky
    -Mono
    -Pele
    -The Mercury Program
    -A Silver Mt.Zion
    -Godspeed You Black Emperor
    -Mogwai
    -The Album Leaf
    -Fridge
    -The Advantage

& while i'm at it...my favourite non instrumental bands (with instrumental/experimental influences) that I would recommend:

-Broken Social Scene
    -Minus The Bear
    -The Most Serene Republic
    -Radiohead
    -A Northern Chorus
    -The Cape May

P.S here's a Munaf action shot from the same show....they were playing the beginning of Greet Death

[​IMG]

17. gold_soundz

gold_soundz Member

You might be interested in checking out the gear of Silver Mt Zion. Last time I saw them they had gone boutique if I recall correctly. Zvex fuzz factorys, fuzz probe, super duper, diamond memory lane, maxon delays and some fulltone pedals among others.

Not to mention brilliant music, of course.

18. The Sun King

The Sun King Member

I'm going to see them March, so I'll try and see what kinda effects they're using, but as some other pointed out it's usually fairly consistent. Can't wait for the show though, their new album rocks! :)

19. jcoggins7

jcoggins7 Member

I like them a lot but I rarely listen to them. I may join a band in the future that does a similar thing.

20. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Thanks for the info on them, guys! Much appreciated. Appears that they're all using RC-20's, yo!