Exposed Speakers / Peavey FC412

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ajfrye, Jan 29, 2015.

1. ajfrye

ajfrye Member

First post here!

I ran into a few old Peavey FC412 cabs for super cheap. They are incredibly sturdy cabs built into road cases. However, when the front cover is removed, nothing stands between the speakers and the outside world. Is it worth installing some sort of grill to protect the speakers when using? I'm somewhat worried about something flying into them and ripping them.

Also, any information on these cabs would be appreciated. I could never really get a definite answer from searching online about the ohmage of these cabs, or the individual Scorpion speakers (I believe they are the 4 ohm version and not the 8, but I don't know enough about wiring to look inside and determine the total load. Nothing is written on the back of the cab). [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Borrow an ohm-meter and check the rating. It should read about 3/4 of the actual impedance (so an 8 ohm speaker will read 5-6 ohms...). Then plug all the speakers into the cab and check the impedance for the whole cab. If it's the same, your wiring is parallel/series like a Marhsall amp. If it's 1/4, it's all parallel, and if it's 4X, it's all series. Those are the only choices.

I'd want some kind of grill cloth over those speakers, even if I just glued some thin wood to the facing of the cab and glued/stapled some burlap to that.