Expression Pedal for 2 Effects (but not simultaneously)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mikoo69, Apr 25, 2016.

1. mikoo69

mikoo69 Supporting Member

My Whammy V is rackmounted and will be controlled via an RJM Mastermind GT22 Midi Controller. i'll be using an expression pedal to control the sweep.

I also need an expression pedal to control my chop tremolo rate and I'm trying to determine a way to use a single expression pedal for both effects.

The Mastermind allows me to program any expression pedal to control 2 different effects (so I don't require a special expression pedal that has 2 outputs neccesarily).

The one thing I'm not sure about is how to program it for situations when both the whammy and trem are on at the same time and I only want expression on one of the effects.

For example, I often like to have the whammy set to octave down, and use chop trem with expression without the expression pedal changing the whammy position (octave down would be toe down).

Any ideas?

2. elevenstrings

elevenstrings Member

A few years ago I had the very same problem (with different pedals) - couldn't find a solution, so with a talented engineer friend of mine I designed one.

It's called Expressionator and it's now licensed to Mission Engineering.

You would plug your expression pedal into Expressionator and then have your MIDI controller into one channel and your Trem into a 2nd Channel (you could have a third pedal too).

The stomp alternates channels and will leave the previous channel in it's exact position. (also, with the "on" you could use them simultaneously if you wanted to).

[​IMG]

3. kriko71

kriko71 Member

Didn't know you were the designer of the expressionator. Great product!

elevenstrings likes this.
  4. JMMP1

JMMP1 Member

For each preset you make on the mastermind, you choose which effect the MIDI CC data will control. Most MIDI floor switches with expression pedal ports act in this manner. Your tremolo is MIDI controllable as well, right?

If you're looking to physically disconnect the expression pedal from the MMGT, and route it to the tremolo, a 3PDT footswitch would work (4PDT if you want an LED to let you know where you are). One input for the expression pedal, and one output each for the MMGT and your tremolo.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  5. mikoo69

mikoo69 Supporting Member

The Trem is also midi controllable - chase bliss gravitas