Expression pedal with multiple pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Laimon, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Laimon

Laimon Member

Hi people,

I am (most likely) going to buy an expression pedal to use with some effects, namely a Strymon Lex, Orbit and Timeline.
    What I would like to do, to avoid continuously swapping jacks around the board, would be building a cable that starts from the expression pedal and then splits into 3 ends, each going to one of the above effects.
    I wonder if that would work. Consider also that I plan to use one effects at a time...
    Opinions, anybody?

2. New_Guy

New_Guy Member

Doesn't work. You can use 2 effects at once with a stereo expression pedal but not 3 of them. You could however make a bx to select between the effects or put in a toeswitch for switching between 2 effects. Using a stereo pedal would give you 2 expression pedals in one, with the abilitiy to switch on of them between to effects.

3. Laimon

Laimon Member

Two wouldn't be so bad either, if that's the best that can be done without complicated mods. May I ask what is a "bx", though?

4. New_Guy

New_Guy Member

It's "box"... I just got my ipad and the keyboard is still a little hard to handle for me ;)

Basicly an a/b/c box with stereo switching could route your expression pedal to each box.

Simplest solution would be a stereo volume and just using 2 effects with it.

5. Laimon

Laimon Member

Ahahhaa, beautiful :D

It is stereo...to be more precise, it is the following:http://www.ebay.it/itm/Saturnworks-...Accessories&hash=item2a19f0377c#ht_500wt_1413

Just to get this straight, are you telling me that it would work by using a stereo jack in the exp pedal and then splitting in two mono jacks going each to a different pedal?

6. New_Guy

New_Guy Member

I'm sorry you'll need all 3 wires for one expression function. A normal volume pedal also has 3 connections (in/out/gnd).

A stereo volume pedal however has each of these connections twice and therefor could run two pedals

7. New_Guy

New_Guy Member

I could make you a unit like that with 3 pots on it, no problem...

8. Laimon

Laimon Member

9. New_Guy

New_Guy Member

No sorry, this is the same thing than the previous just with 2 mono connectors rather than a stereo one.

Are you located in Italy?

10. Laimon

Laimon Member

Close enough, Switzerland. I am from Italy, though ;-)
    Are you?

11. New_Guy

New_Guy Member

Ah ein Schweitzer :D Ich komme aus Deutschland.

For the folks around here I'm gonna stick with english...
    I could make you the unit you look for (3x expression in one box) for 60€ + shipping, which shouldn't break the bank;) I accept pay pal ;)

12. Laimon

Laimon Member

Eheh, I guess English would be best for me as well, as I understand some German but I am far from fluent yet ;-)
    In any case, thanks for the heads up, I'll think about it and let you know. Could you make the enclousure about the same size as that one I've shown you earlier? Cause I don't have much more room in my board...

13. New_Guy

New_Guy Member

I could make it the way you want it. It would easily fit into an hammond A size enclosure which is the one on ebay. Of course with 3 pots it would be kinda hard to control by foot but if you plan on setting it by hand I could make it even smaller.

51x51mm is the smallest enclosure that I'd use for it

14. BadMelonFarmer

BadMelonFarmer Member

You can have a splitter box that takes a single TRS input and splits into 3 outputs. I had one of these made for me when I used to run 3 Eventide boxes.

Never tried it with Strymon boxes, but would have thought it should work fine.

The biggest issue is when you want to run more than one box at a time.... Then it gets all crazy.

Mission engineering make a 2 channel expression pedal that controls 2 boxes and you switch channels with a toe switch.... Like turning a wah on and off.

Another option would be one of the mini-expression pedals that mission or this1smyne make, they are small enough to have a few on your board... If that is practical for you.....is another question.

15. New_Guy

New_Guy Member

The splitter box thing CAN work, but doesn't have to. It could also harm your pedals.

16. BadMelonFarmer

BadMelonFarmer Member

why would it harm you pedals?

Edit - ahh is it if the pedals use different methods ie CV etc? if they are all the same make it should be ok though...the Eventides worked fine.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  17. elevenstrings

elevenstrings Member

I've been working with a DSP engineer since last April to develop a solution for pedalboards as I was up to three expression pedals and I was still switching cables around... and there was nothing available that did this.

[​IMG]

You plug in one expression pedal and you can send this off to 3 different expression-capable effect pedals. You can run them simultaneously or switch between them (it will remember your last position). There are five tapers and you can limit the lower and upper span. There's a couple of vids and more info on this page. Works great with Strymon and Eventide stuff. Box is the same size as the small mxr boxes (Hammond 1590B) and can be oriented landscape or portrait.

Info here: http://www.jeanbaudin.com/expressionator

18. wrightdude

wrightdude Supporting Member

I saw this in one of the NAMM vids... very cool device!

19. BadMelonFarmer

BadMelonFarmer Member

Looks like a really neat solution

20. chops612

chops612 Member

Have been in touch with Jean during development of the Expressionator while I was in dev with the EX line. It's def the bomb solution for multiple units. The Thru-Tone EX-ULT allows you to switch between two fx in an anolog sense while the Expressionator does 3 in a digital manner. Combine the two and you can control 6 control voltage devices total with one EB. Gonna be a sweet combo for those that rely heavily on setting accuracy of multiple pedals.