Expression Pedals - what would you recommend?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by alex_toney, Feb 23, 2008.

1. alex_toney

alex_toney Member

So... I have a Line 6 Expression Pedal... and like most seem to at some point, it is on the fritz. I need to get a new expression pedal that is more reliable and hopefully just as compact. What would you guys recommend? (This will currently be used with a Line 6 DL4, but later with an Eventide Timefactor once I can afford it). Thanks!

2. Galapogos17

Galapogos17 Gold Supporting Member

I asked this same question about my RE-20 and got zero response.

I tried the boss ev-5, that is terrible, basically the same thing as the line 6.

I also tried a volume pedal with insert cables and that did not give me a good range for the effect. It uses a liner taper pot and I believe you need a logarithmic taper for expression.

I wanted to try an alesis f2, but I can't find any one that sells one.

A sales person at Sweet water recommended the tc electronics x1( a bit pricey), it comes out in a few weeks.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/X1/

I would be interested in any other solutions. The boss fv-500 is too big for my board.

3. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

Anything good quality and metal is going to cost some money but the reliability will pay off. Toneczar makes an EB VP Jr mod for expression or you sould get a pot and do your own EB mod which wouldn't be too hard.

4. Galapogos17

Galapogos17 Gold Supporting Member

The Toneczar will not work with digital effects.

5. anxiousmofo

anxiousmofo Member

6. Super Locrian

Super Locrian Member

I have a Boss FV-500L on the way. It seems to be about the most indestructible expression pedal out there, and you can also use it as a volume pedal (get the FV-500H if you don't have a buffer between your guitar and the pedal). It has adjustable torque as well.

7. Creamy

Creamy Member

Foxrox and Moog might be good choices. I have a Foxrox and really appreciate the adjustable external pot. It helps define the ceiling or floor of your effect. Moog recently came out with an adjustable pedal that looks decent too. I am sure there are others available. Expect the price point to go up with sturdier exteriors. I've used the Foxrox in a variety of analog or voltage controlled apps and have been very satisfied. The external pot acts as a taper to lower the value of the pedal's main pot, which is usually 50 or 100 ohms.

8. playon

playon Supporting Member

[size=-1]bespeco Vm18-l[/size]