Extend Your WallWart

Chimuelo

I’m waiting for a Korg WaveState.
I’m hacking off the worthless keybed and setting this on a stand behind my MIDI Controller/88 Noter, I will automate everything so no need to be twisting knobs, etc.
I use a Strymon PSU and have few Pedals I automate and love the idea of NO WallWarts. Unfortunately I’ll need one with the WaveState.

‘Is there a place I could buy a cable to extend the reach of the WallWart, like a WallWart Xtender, or better yet another cable like my pedals use, but 10/12 feet long?

Thanks

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
Platinum Supporting Member
At 10-12 feet of length, I'd advocate you get a 10-12 foot wall-cord and have it plug into your pedalboard then keep the wart tied up underneath the board.
The reason is voltage loss.
Invariably, you will have more voltage loss over a lower-voltage/high-current cable than you will have over a higher-voltage/lower current one.
Also, the connectors for 120 V are an order of magnitude more robust than those flimsy barrel connectors.

Since I don't know the current draw on your device on the low-voltage side, I can't calculate it for you.
But it might be noteworthy.
Also, you have more of a chance of noise problem with the long low-voltage cable.
And there will be much less likelihood of you power connection getting kicked loose.

ymmv

Chimuelo

That makes sense since insertion loss in audio is similar.
I’ll know once the synth gets here. I have a 10 foot extension coming from the SurgeX if need be.

The custom WalWart from Jameco arrived so the Korg PSU is my spare. Custom ones are small and designed for 1U distribution units.

The WaveState synth will have the keybed hacked off and sit on the Manhassett Stand shown below. This is a practice rig and the monitor I use for the PC attaches to a mic stand and is smaller and USB Powered.

Thanks for your reply, I’m ready for both scenarios. I get three days to incorporate the new synth which is why I prep early for everything.

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member
OP, what Strymon PSU are you using? If it is the Ojai or Ojai R30, that can be easily done. I've made power cords that connect from the OJAI to the power transformer as long as 20' for musicians. I just incorporated them with a snake from their pedalboard to their back line.

Riffa

Invariably, you will have more voltage loss over a lower-voltage/high-current cable than you will have over a higher-voltage/lower current one.
Do you reckon 8ft. would be safe, though? The cord on the wall wart that came with my old Whammy II is a bit short and I was thinking of getting a short extension.

Last edited:

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
Do you reckon 8ft. Would be safe, though? The cord on wall wart that came with my old Whammy II is a bit short and I was thinking of getting a short extension.
Safe? Probably - it depends on the amount of current you are drawing.

More prone to problems? Absolutely!

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
You may see some voltage drop across that extension.
And probably a notable increase in noise on the power/ground.

I would seriously consider just getting a 3 meter/10-ft 120V cord with the proper fm-termination (not an IEC-type). By doing this, you are keeping the distance that 1300 mA needs to travel as SHORT as possible, AND you are 'moving the wart's noise filtering CLOSER' to the load.

... and when the bass-player stumbles by and kicks you cords on stage, they're much less likely to give your pedalboard a major power glitch, if not kick the whole thing loose/disconnect it.

Don't take my persistence personal... I used to do QA engineering.. I always look for possible failure modes FIRST, THEN wax poetic about how wonderful a pedal/guitar/amp/wiring-solution may be.

Last edited:

Riffa

You may see some voltage drop across that extension.
And probably a notable increase in noise on the power/ground.

I would seriously consider just getting a 3 meter/10-ft 120V cord with the proper fm-termination (not an IEC-type). By doing this, you are keeping the distance that 1300 mA needs to travel as SHORT as possible, AND you are 'moving the wart's noise filtering CLOSER' to the load.

... and when the bass-player stumbles by and kicks you cords on stage, they're much less likely to give your pedalboard a major power glitch, if not kick the whole thing loose/disconnect it.

Don't take my persistence personal... I used to do QA engineering.. I always look for possible failure modes FIRST, THEN wax poetic about how wonder a pedal/guitar/amp/wiring-solution may be.
No, man, this is very helpful. Thanks!

Chimuelo

OP, what Strymon PSU are you using? If it is the Ojai or Ojai R30, that can be easily done. I've made power cords that connect from the OJAI to the power transformer as long as 20' for musicians. I just incorporated them with a snake from their pedalboard to their back line.
Hello and thanks for replying.

I’m using the Zuma.
I’d love to run a long custom made cable to the Zuma from the Korg WaveState.
Still haven’t received the unit as it’s pre ordered and due before the 24th.
Only running the Hedra + DisasterArea MIDI, and Timeline.

Last edited:

Trending Topics