• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Extending string life..

astainback

I have tried wiping them down after playing.

This helps.

I have some of the Dunlop string cleaner.
That also helps some, but it is a pain. I usually don't use until the strings are starting to get dirty or discolored.

A friend suggested keeping them in their case instead of on the wall.
Does this help?

Thanks,
Adrian

Will-

I really like Fast Fret though some people arent that keen on it as it makes your strings slippy/greasy . Although i have not tried it theres a product called a Swipe i have heard great things about heres the links . www.the-swipe.com

blackba

Platinum Supporting Member
I just wipe my strings down after I am done playing. That and washing my hands before playing has nearly doubled the lift I can get out of strings.....

RGB

Silver Supporting Member
I use this stuff and it seems to work...nice feel after cleaning anyway. Not greasy or slippery and has never harmed any of the wood on my guitars. I only change them when I break one and they sound the same right to the end.

http://www.stringthis.com/drstringlife.html

clothwiring

Like another said, wash hands before, I use some lemon oil on an old sock and just wipe it down top and bottom of strings when I'm done playing.

rubbersoul

I wash hands before, wipe down strings after, and put the guitar back in its case when done. Works for me...my strings seem to last quite a while.

fyler

Silver Supporting Member
i use flatwounds, and i do absolutely zero string maintenance. they last for YEARS.

cber1517

Fast Fret only feels slick if you don't wipe the strings after application with the included cloth or clean rag. Otherwise, the strings feel great and keep their tone for quite a while. Gotta get a new one while I'm thinking about it!

plan-x

I use this stuff and it seems to work...nice feel after cleaning anyway. Not greasy or slippery and has never harmed any of the wood on my guitars. I only change them when I break one and they sound the same right to the end.

http://www.stringthis.com/drstringlife.html
Wow! That looks interesting. The problem with Elixer's is they break prematurely. And cost alot. I can get as much time on a standard string set by wiping down after playing and keeping the guitar in the gig bag when not in use.
I tried lighter fluid on dead strings, and I don't hear much of an improvement.

rawkguitarist

I can't stand gunky strings. Not much you can do about strings that are over a month old... Technically, for me strings sound *older* right after a couple of days. But they slowly get lifeless over about a month. After then, not much can be done but keep the rust off.

But, to keep them sounding and feeling new(er) as long as possible, with a rag I coat my strings with Keyser Dr. Stringfellow *immediately* after installing new strings. (before I even tune them) This helps to insure they don't corrode quickly. Then ever few days I clean them again with the same solution.

GA20T

I spray Finger-ease on before and during playing, wipe down when I'm done for the evening, and give the strings another shot before I tuck the guitar away. Since adopting this regimen, I've not needed to replace a single set of strings due to gunk or oxidization. Flat spots and breaks are another thing entirely.

JGonzalez

Another vote for GHS Frest Fast here...

1. wipe strings/neck off with dry micro-fiber towel after playing
2. coat strings with fret fast
3. shut case (very important)
4. enjoy opening your case to rust free strings next session. Works EVERY time!

Top Bottom