Extension Cab for a Princeton Reverb?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sykofiddle, Apr 30, 2008.

1. sykofiddle

sykofiddle Member

I recently went on the search for a new speaker for my silverface PR. I bought both the Eminence Ragin Cajun and the Copperhead. I've settled on the Coppherhead, but I also really liked the RC and now I'm sitting here with it. I know nothing about ohms and related issues, but is it possible to use the extension cab jack on the back of the PR, put the RC in a cabinet, and drive both speakers at once? I'm guessing not or else it would be more common, but thought I'd ask. Thanks! Michael

2. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

I don't think so. I think the ohms will be incorrect at that point.

3. dB

dB Member

I would assume that you could. Those two Emi's in parallel will be 4ohms. I'm not sure what the ohm output for a PR is, but it's probably 8. Usually with Fender amps you can use 4 or 16 if the stock output is 8.

4. PRNDL

PRNDL Member

You could also try disconnecting the internal speaker and using only the external cab, which would keep the impedance correct, which usually results in better tone. You'll have three options.

5. tonemandan

tonemandan Member

You can do it. That's why Leo put the jack there. PR's stock tranny runs at 8 ohms but as long as you have two 8 ohm speakers you will be running at 4 which should be fine. There will be little or no different in tone but the amp may feel a little different in terms of headroom and compression. The two speakers together will give you a bigger sound obviously.

Go for it.

Dan

6. sykofiddle

sykofiddle Member

Thanks folks. This is helpful. Any suggestions for where to find a 1X10" cabinet??? Michael