Extension Cab for Vox AC15C1?

Medgeking

I'm looking to get some heavier sounds out of my AC15C1 and several people here suggested that I change out my speaker or add an extension cabinet. Frankly, I'm a total novice when it comes to cabinets in terms of wattage, ohms, etc. Looking at the back panel of my amp, I see there is a output labeled "External SP" and one labeled "Extension SP". What is the difference?

I'm inclined towards getting a separate cabinet because I really do like the sound of the combo as is for some things, but want some flexibility. I'm looking to get some heavy/sludgy sounds like Baroness, Kylesa, The Sword, etc. However, I also do love 60's sounds for things like surf, garage rock and psychedelia.

I spoke briefly with Andrew @ Mojotone who suggested a 210 loaded with their "Watchtower" speakers.

Any suggestions for me in terms of cabinet and speaker choice?

WhoJamFan

Silver Supporting Member
Just guessing, but I'd imagine Extension=with the amps speaker connected-both at same time
External=without the amps speaker connected-just what you plug into it-no amp speaker

Absolutely NEVER turn your amp on without a speaker-external and/or internal-connected!
You can quickly kill your amp that way.
Or
If you have a dummy load plugged in, but that's a whole other thread.

For your sludgy needs, try an eq pedal first-easy to return it if it doesn't work out-before dropping big dough on a new cab and speakers that may or may not work for you. Even with a return policy, soeakers are like $25 to ship and you may get nailed with a "restocking fee."

Medgeking

Medgeking

PS: what about the Rock pedals from amptweaker? I like heavy music, but I usually like lower levels of gain and distortion? I like the grit and articulation of less compression.

MmcGrouty

http://www.amptweaker.com/page/FatMetal-Distortion-by-Amptweaker-97.aspx

This thing kills for that sound, and they have a "Pro" version as well. Feature set on both is sick, and you can go from Sludge to Shadows with a click of the footswitch with no mods to your amp or additional cab/speakers.
Your amp came with a Greenback speaker, great all around rock speaker that should scream doom with this pedal.
Heavy distortions pedals are not a good match with the ac15. I've tried everything with my ac15, and boost pedals are your best option. As for extension cabs, get a 4x12 with V30s.

WhoJamFan

Silver Supporting Member
Heavy distortions pedals are not a good match with the ac15. I've tried everything with my ac15, and boost pedals are your best option. As for extension cabs, get a 4x12 with V30s.

Completely depends on the pedal and amp setting. Try turning the amp halfway up with the bass, treble, and cut at noon to start, and set the volume of the pedal at zero. Slowly bring the pedal volume up and you'll see where it starts turning into tar. Back the volume down a hair and then adjust the bass and treble-starting with backing the bass down a hair to get a little of the boom out if it. Then raise the treble up a hair to balance it out and then adjust the cut for fine tuning the high end.
Ac15s run out of headroom quick, it's all a balancing act to be sure. It's so easy to overload the input to where it goes into mud before the power tubes really get working, that it's easy to plug about anything highish gain into it and have it sound like crap no matter how you set the pedal.
Snip that crap treble cap as well, it's not your friend!
I just spent the last hour blasting my AC15 with the Tightfuzz Pro, and was getting everything from Yardbirds to Sabbath and beyond with no clarity or tone issues.
Yes, the "Rock" and "Drive"pedals Amptweaker has work great for what you're wanting for lower gain stuff.
Your greenback should be fine, no need to drop big bucks on a 4x12 with V30s, as the cab will be pretty underpowered and have a midrange spike that if you don't like you'll never dial out. But, if you run your AC15 into a Badcat Unleash or Freyette Power Station, then by all means, crank that baby up through a 4x12 and have the speakers and cab do what they do best, ear splitting walls of sonic fury.
This has been my experience, and I should have a PHD in "learning stuff the hard way." Working in music stores, I've wasted tons of money over the years buying stuff I didn't need that didn't work how I thought it would.
I try to help others not make the same mistakes.

doghouseman

I have had good luck running at Tech21 Liverpool in front of my AC15. Lots of distortion there. Get an Emi Private jack speaker. They are green back clones for a lot less money. What speaker does your AC15 already have?

I tend to agree though that an AC15 is prolly not the best choice for death metal. AC15 is a great blues/classic rock amp.

I have two extension cabinets for my AC amps, one loaded with Greenbacks and one loaded with a Vintage 30/H30 combo, which sounds great for more overdriven sounds and fuzz. I'm familiar with Baroness and Kylesa, even played some shows with Kylesa, and honestly I think you have the wrong amp for that sound. However, toss a Rat or similar pedal in front and get a good aggressive speaker in a closed-back cabinet, and you may be able to get by.

JBassTeleGit

I think this depends on what sound levels you need.
For reasonably loud rehearsals the Greenback will do heavy.
With my AC15c1 into my closed back 2x12 (V30's) it definitely gets louder and keeps it tighter. More of the metals. :)
But then again, I'm a bit sound sensitive and my ears crap out before the Ac15/Greenback alone does if I'm anywhere near it.
Edit: As other have mentioned, a distortion/fuzz pedal and a bit of headroom left in the amp helps.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom