• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

External clock error - Pro Tools

WinstonN

Gold Supporting Member
I am getting this error message every 5 minutes on my Pro Tools LE/Digi003 (Black Lion moded) system:

"External clock choice is invalid. Reverting to internal."

Everything I've dug up about this is related to daisy chaining additional preamp units (like the octopre), which I don't have. This system is as follows:

Digi 003 / PT LE 7.4
Firewire connection to PC
A Designs pre and a pre-sonus headphone amp - these should make no diff.
Maxtor external HD (being replaced)

Black Lion modded the 003 and I began getting the error when I got the unit back. I sent it back to them and have it back now. Still have the issue and I am now wondering if has to do with something related to my setup, firewire connection...:huh, something other than the 003 itself.

The errors make recording almost impossible.

elambo

If you don't have an external clock, your clock should be set to Internal. Why is it trying to change to External? Or is that required after the Black Lion mod? I'm not familiar with them.

If so, it's a question for Black Lion. Something's not allowing a smooth transition from their new clock to the 003's clock input (even if it's all happening inside the same box).

Jan Folkson

It's no big deal, the last time the unit was used (probably at Black Lion) somebody set it to external clock and saved a session. Likely when they were testing it out.

Go to the session setup window (command + 2 on the numeric keypad) and set it to internal. It won't bother you again...

WinstonN

Gold Supporting Member
50 minutes and no error! I had checked that screen before and it was set to internal, so I never thought to choose internal clock. Same thing this time - the screen posted "internal" but when I (re)choose it, the error goes away.

Thanks Jan

elambo

Glad I could hel... oh... you were talking to Jan.

I'm happy it's working for you. I remember seeing that message for a week before whittling it down to a bad connector on an RG-59 cable. Frustrating. In our case, we couldn't switch to Internal since wordclock originate upstream and went everywhere.

How do you like the Black Lion mod?

WinstonN

Gold Supporting Member
Glad I could hel... oh... you were talking to Jan.

I'm happy it's working for you. I remember seeing that message for a week before whittling it down to a bad connector on an RG-59 cable. Frustrating. In our case, we couldn't switch to Internal since wordclock originate upstream and went everywhere.

How do you like the Black Lion mod?
I was heading in that direction, too - The only reason I didn't swap out the cable was because I did not have one lying around that was long enough.

I have not been able to record much yet - given the issue, but from what I have heard I am impressed.

Trending Topics