external hardrives---Formatting

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by spoken wheel, Jul 21, 2008.

1. spoken wheel

spoken wheel Member

Hello, I am currently seeking an external hardrive to backup my audio files, I'm using a PC windowsXP SP2/Sonar 6 Prod. all files are 24/96 some of which are larger than 10Gb. Until now I have been backing up most files to DVD, however the larger files won't even fit onto a dual-layer. Also I am going to need an external hardrive for Sept./School and these studios use mainly Mac OS and some PC, now i've tried to get info from the course head on how i should format my drive but still have no replies(summer).
    I know I need something larger than 250Gb and it must have firewire 400/1394a minimum, my computer has 1394a and USB 2.0. Now if I format the drive as NTFS, I can store my large audio files however it cannot read or write from a Mac, if I format as FAT32/MS-DOS I can read and write from both systems however there are limitations of around 4Gb per read/write. I've also seen software like Mac Drive 7 for windows and I've heard there is a version for Mac for NTFS files. Anyways I would like to have one hardrive that can read and write from both systems as large of files as I want, does anyone have any experience with this, what would you recommend.

thanks

2. straticus

straticus Member

My band just finished recording a CD at a local studio. I recorded my lead guitar tracks at my studio at home on a pc. I would then load them on an external HD or a flash drive and take them to the studio. The studio is running a Mac.

There were no issues in loading the wave files into Pro Tools on the Mac. Pro Tools automatically converted the wave file into AIFF files.

I'm not sure what brand of external drive you're using but I never had to format mine. I have a couple of external drives. A Seagate and a Maxtor. I've read the manuals and neither of them say anything about formating the drive prior to using it.

I hope this helps.