External preamp

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by RomanS, Apr 18, 2008.

1. RomanS

RomanS Member

I've got a Guild GAD-30E that comes stock with a Fishman Matrix Natural pickup. I think that pickup is connected to one of those preamp thingies that sits inside the jack/strap-button at the heel of the guitar. It does not have any onboard controls for volume or tone.
    Now, I'm not much of an acoustic player (I mostly play my Tele or lap steel with my band), but I'd like to use this Guild for a couple of songs live with my band.
    We often play small clubs where we have to set the sound ourselves before the gig, no soundman.
    For that reason I'd like to have something to control the loudness (so I can turn it down when it's not used), and maybe, tone of the guitar - some kind of external preamp, maybe something that can be attached to the guitar strap, or a pedal; preferably on the lower range of the price scale.
    Any recommendations?

2. Latif

Latif Member

K&K makes a small preamp to go with their passive pure western pups that is the size of a deck of cards and has a clip for attaching to a strap or belt. It has treble, mid, bass and volume trimmers. Nice little unit for around $100.

Latif

3. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Check out the Carl Martin 3-band parametric EQ preamp pedal. It's a DI, too. That or a Baggs Paracousitc DI. If you need a mute, you could grab a tuner with a mute feature, or an AB and dead end the B output.

4. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

+1 on the Carl Matin unit, use mine for all kinds of stuff, including acoustic guitar.

If you already have an active pickup and like the tone, a practical solution might be a simple volume pedal. We can start a long flail about stuff in the signal chain, but being able to control your volume at you feet is pretty darned useful in a gig setting.

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

sure, and since it's an active, low impedance signal, get a 25k volume pedal and it'll have a nice sweep and sound fine.

6. RomanS

RomanS Member

Thanks, guys. Hmm, actually I do have an extra Morley vol. pedal that I could use for muting, and the A/B pedal idea sounds good, too!

Does anybody here have any idea with those external preamps from Shadow, the PM1, ACP1 and SHEC1? Those look interesting because they are barely bigger than a 9V battery...

7. paddywhack

paddywhack Silver Supporting Member

...a boss 7 band eq pedal works well...doesn't have a lot of gain but is very effective in shaping an acoustics tone and can be used for electrics too...

8. in a little row

in a little row Member

alot of people use this unit, and it works well for EQ ing, but many folks have noise issues with the boss, and the is often an impedance matching issue there that can be as big a problem in regard to sound quality

There is another thread on the acoustic forum involving the use of tube pre amps in live settings...I do this with my martin and chet sst rigs, it works wonders for warmth and volume control at the expense of EQing...i use the EQ on the PA for this and have no real issues

j