Extra noise with my Boss RC-3, is it my amp??

Badfrog

Okay, I have a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue. It's a 2004 with stock pre amp tubes and good aftermarket 6L6s that are recent. It does make some hiss when turned on. Can't really tell at or below 2 and just shy of 3 on volume knob you start to notice it (I assumed it's normal being a tube amp an all).

My problem is that when I put on my Boss RC-3 Looper pedal, it gets real noisey. The noise probably gets multiplied by 3. All of my other pedals (dirt and whatnot) seem to work fine with the amp, they don't add any noise when I turn them on. Using the looper (by itself, or with it and just the guitar, no extra pedals) is pretty much pointless because of the added noise. I got a second one and I get the same noise with it.

It doesn't matter if I use batteries or a good power adapter or if I move things to another room in the house, it's all the same (too much noise). Doesn't matter what cables I use or if I clean them or the jacks on the pedal/amp. Noise.

What should I try next? Are loopers simply bad with tube amps? Would changing the preamp tubes help at all? I can't possibly have two "bad" Boss loopers. I need help, thanks.

Badfrog

Unfortunately I tried the pedal out with my Vox VT-50 and while it's not as noisey at the tube amp, but the pedal definately adds noise to the signal.

What in the heck am I supposed to do. I just want to be able to play along to some tracks without having to add a bunch more equipment. I'm at a loss right now on what to do/try.

Last edited:

Badfrog

Well, I swapped some preamp tubes and still have the same noise. I think I've identified to my ears the hum of the amp while the volume is down and nothing is plugged it. Nothing wrong with that. As soon as I turn up the volume (with nothing plugged in) I get more and more hiss as I turn it up.

I'm assuming the looper comes in and probably kicks the hiss up even more. I think I need to take my amp and get it checked. Could be an issue with the ground in the amp or some of the solder joints.

Badfrog

Maybe you got a dud? Exchange it and see if you still have the same problem.
I've tried two different Boss RC-3s now. The amp is already putting off hiss on it's own, the looper seems to take the same hiss noise and make it louder when plugged in.

LuckyBlackCat

Is this happening when the looper is plugged in always, regardless of whether you are looping or playing back with it? Just plugging it in causes extra noise?

If it's just when you're looping, keep in mind that it records everything going into it, even normal guitar hum, and then plays back, so it can seem noisier sometimes because you're hearing both the original noise and the recorded noise at the same time.

Badfrog

Is this happening when the looper is plugged in always, regardless of whether you are looping or playing back with it? Just plugging it in causes extra noise?

If it's just when you're looping, keep in mind that it records everything going into it, even normal guitar hum, and then plays back, so it can seem noisier sometimes because you're hearing both the original noise and the recorded noise at the same time.
The amp always has a hissing noise. If the looper is plugged in AND powered up, then the hissing noise is even louder. Take the looper out of the chain and the hiss returns to it's usual self.

If the looper is recording or playing, the louder hiss is present. When the looper goes into it's writing moding (where it records to memory the loop I've created) the lights on the looper flash and the hissing noise sounds like it's on tremolo and in sync with the blinking lights on the looper. Of course during this operation the looper isn't supposed to be making any noise.

Dirt pedals will kick up the hiss a little bit two but nothing like the looper does. Should tube amps be hissing at all??? I understand them making the hum noise but should they hiss too?

TenneyThe2nd

Silver Supporting Member
Try powering it with a dedicated power supply. The RC-2 did the hiss thing when it didn't have enough mA.

sleejay80

Yeah, try a dedicated power supply.

Also, sounds like it's your guitar that's hissing,
and the RC is recording that hiss.

Badfrog

Try powering it with a dedicated power supply. The RC-2 did the hiss thing when it didn't have enough mA.
I've tried it. Batteries, adapters, even the Voodoo Lab Power Supply...... nothing but extra hiss/static with both of the Boss RC-3 pedals. Nothing has phased it, nothing has improved it in anyway. I just keep getting the same results.

sleejay80

I've tried it. Batteries, adapters, even the Voodoo Lab Power Supply...... nothing but extra hiss/static with both of the Boss RC-3 pedals. Nothing has phased it, nothing has improved it in anyway. I just keep getting the same results.
try different guitar?

Badfrog

try different guitar?
I only have one electric. It's a Fender MIA strat (2010). As I've mentioned Just the amp by itself, with nothing plugged in, it will make a hiss/static noise (don't know if that's normal, nothing is plugged into the amp at all). Adding the guitar to the "chain" makes pretty much no difference in terms of hiss or static (no added noise when the guitar is in the neck/middle position, very little noise added if the selector is positioned for one single coil).

Could the outlets in my house be causing problems with my amp? Other than to take my setup to a tech, I'm at a loss as to what to do. It's obvious that I'm getting way more noise than I should be.

crazynightowl

Hiss is a normal consequence in any audio system when enough gain is applied and tubes are as guilty as anything else when it comes to generating and amplifying noise. The front end of a guitar amp has high gain and (usually) high-frequency boosting so some noise is to be expected. Some products produce more noise than others of course so it becomes a game of how much you can tolerate. If your amp has an effects loop you should try your looper there. It's generally the best place for a looper anyway and will usually yield the lowest noise contribution. Also be sure you are using the hottest possible levels so your signal-to-noise ratio is maximized.

CNO

Badfrog

Hiss is a normal consequence in any audio system when enough gain is applied and tubes are as guilty as anything else when it comes to generating and amplifying noise. The front end of a guitar amp has high gain and (usually) high-frequency boosting so some noise is to be expected. Some products produce more noise than others of course so it becomes a game of how much you can tolerate. If your amp has an effects loop you should try your looper there. It's generally the best place for a looper anyway and will usually yield the lowest noise contribution. Also be sure you are using the hottest possible levels so your signal-to-noise ratio is maximized.

CNO
Yeah, I've tried the looper in my FX loop and still get a lot of static and white noise.

I've searched the internet about Blues Deluxe hiss/static problems and I think I'm just going to take my setup to a good amp tech and have them look it over. It could be any number of things. I think the first place to start is the cheap plastic jacks on the amp. Right now, if I plug in my wampler I get a popping noise when I stomp on the pedal and that shouldn't be happening. I think there is either an issue in the ground on the amp or in the jacks. The amp has a problem on it's own and as soon as you plug something in that problem gets even worse.

niclake13

What's the rest of your chain?
How much cable do you have running in your entire chain?
How are you powering everything?
Have you tried plugging your rig in at different locations? Same results?

Badfrog

What's the rest of your chain?
How much cable do you have running in your entire chain?
How are you powering everything?
Have you tried plugging your rig in at different locations? Same results?
It's just guitar -> looper -> amp

That's it, nothing else is in the chain. With just the amp and looper and nothing else, I get a lot of static. Even with nothing at all plugged into the amp, I hear white noise/static coming out of the speaker when I turn the amp up to about 2 or 3 (nothing but the amp plugged into the wall, no other chords or cables).

I'm taking it to a shop tomorrow.

I've got an RC-3, a vintage-style fender clone, and only use single coils. If I use the same power-supply as my other pedals, the hiss is pretty bad. But for me, running it from the battery reduced it dramatically, but was not gone. Not sure what would be going on, but loopers do add some noise to the chain. Sorry, guess I'm not helping, other than to say it can operate without much noise.

I've wondered about a noise suppressor, but haven't owned one.

Trending Topics