Extra P-bass near the neck?

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by Whats4dessert, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Whats4dessert

Whats4dessert Member

Got a friend who's a great bassist & just got a Squier 5-string Jag bass that he wants to mod. It's currently got a single J-bass p/u at the bridge and a P-bass set up above. He's wondering what it would sound like if he added ANOTHER 5-string P-bass set closer to the neck. Anybody ever tried this? How'd it sound?

2. DCFanatic

DCFanatic Member

Might get something closer to a Gibson EB-O. I've owned one of those and I was not a fan, too muddy.

Likely not worth the modification IMHO.

3. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

Sometimes you just gotta do something to figure out why nobody else does it.

4. Whats4dessert

Whats4dessert Member

Yep, we's doin' it, so stay tuned!

5. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

I find humbuckers too muddy at the neck. I have a Squier that is a copy of a 72 Tele bass with the mudbucker. That particular pickup is awfully dark and loud in series mode, but putting a push/pull to give the option of parallel really makes it more usable. A split coil P pickup in series kinda has a similar fate at the base of the neck. Run it in parallel and it still sounds big, but much more full range.
    I prefer a single coil J, Peavey Super Ferrite or Rickenbacker Hi Gain at the base of the neck, they get that low and dark harmonic tone, but keep clarity.

free_jazz and Sam Hill like this.
  6. Whats4dessert

Whats4dessert Member

….and as it happens, the owner has requested a series/parallel switch for each of the P-bass sets on this axe. Did the pickguard cutouts and almost got the routs done today; project should be finished in a couple of days from now & maybe I'll be able to get him to post some sound clips. Me, I'm a guitar player, don't play bass.

7. Whats4dessert

Whats4dessert Member

Well, here ya go...…The toggles on the upper bout change the P-bass sets from series to parallel. Now we'll see what he thinks about it…….
    [​IMG]

EDIT: The top and middle sets each have their own independent volume controls via a stacked concentric pot where the original P-bass volume control used to be.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    msteeln likes this.
  8. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

my guess will be that the stock P pickup in series will end up being the go-to sound.

extreme neck pickups and parallel P pickups are not popular for a reason, they just don't sound that good.

9. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

That thing needs a 10 position rotary switch for all the combinations, like the bass coil of the middle pickup with the treble coil of the neck pickup, or the bridge and neck in parallel. Maybe a phase switch on the bridge pickup with a pot to blend in just a little, which might tame the woof in the neck pickup. The mind fevers!

10. PartoftheDark

PartoftheDark Member

I played around with parallel on a p bass before. I'm sure someone would find a use for it, but the slight signal loss didn't please me and the sound only changed slightly.

11. NashSG

NashSG Member

I'd think emulating a Strat with a reversed wound middle Jazz pickup (or Pbass pickup) and a Five way could be neat. Don't know if it would sound all that interesting, but it would be unique.

12. Whats4dessert

Whats4dessert Member

Here's what the owner wrote to me today:

"I finally got to play the custom mod you did on the Jaguar Bass for a gig today. It was amazing! A very happy bass player right here.

The P pickup being close to the neck gives a nod back to the Humbucking pickup on a Gibson EBO/EB3 right at the neck. It is like a Mack truck coming at you with a fresh delivery of low end goodness. Thick and full sounding, mix in some of the traditional P position and it gets more defined and articulate.

Gracias for all that you have done for me. Keep in touch. See you soon at the theater."

Sam Hill and sprag like this.