• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Extra Tim switches?

Kurzman

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Tim pedal coming in and it has the two optional mini-toggle switches. I can't seem to find any info on these and what they do and what they're for. Can someone help or point me at a web page with info?
Thanks in advance.
(Explain it as if I was a pedal know-nothing!)

molokaio

i didn't know about this as well, but I read in a thread over at the buy/sell forum that the 2 switches are for choosing different clipping modes, like Asymmetrical and so on... and a more drive kinda thing.
The search function is acting funny on me atm, so Can't find you the thread...

EDIT: here it is: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/525165

Last edited:

Kurzman

Silver Supporting Member
I appreciate the link but that doesn't really explain much.
What does each position do?
Does it still have the pull pot?
Does the pull-pot now do anything?

todd richman

I think Realfi who posts a lot in the alt country thread just got a copper colored Tim witht he extra switches-why don't you PM him. He is a great source of info, especially on the Paul Cochrane pedals.

gtrguy17

The push/pull pot is gone - this was to go to a 'compressed' mode. The 2 switches provide the same functionality as the DIP switches on the Timmy - both 'off' is ''uncompressed'. Either one on and the other off (doesn't matter which is on) is asymmetrical clipping mode. Both on is the same as the compressed mode that the push/pull pot previously enabled.

Isaiah4Autumn

The push/pull pot is gone - this was to go to a 'compressed' mode. The 2 switches provide the same functionality as the DIP switches on the Timmy - both 'off' is ''uncompressed'. Either one on and the other off (doesn't matter which is on) is asymmetrical clipping mode. Both on is the same as the compressed mode that the push/pull pot previously enabled.
correct...i just got my tim from paul and called him about this very thing

both toggles up = normal mode (pull pot in) yeilds highest gain volume
both toggles down = compressed (pull pot out) compressed tone
toggles 1 up 1 down = asymmetrical clipping (timmy dipswitches) clips eith the top or the bottom of the wave...

Kurzman

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks Isaiah4.
I did ask the seller..no reply.
I've never seen a Timmy. I'm kind of new to high end stomp boxes.
I had a Fulltone Fulldrive II and a Hip Kitty Oxblood but I sold them.
I'm hoping the Tim will be the one.

Grant Ferstat

Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place...
I had the first of these TIMs built the blue one pictured below with one of my Timmys, and recently got another, the copper one pictured on the matching relic tele.

I think Paul's cursed me ever since I got the first seeing as a bunch of guys order this way now and it's extra work for him which as usual he doesn't charge enough for but I really think it's a worthwhile addtion to an already awesome pedal!

As others have said the idea was to access Timmy style clipping options since I had fallen in love with a Timmy configuration of asymmetrical clipping which you can't do with a standard TIM. We originally went with two push-pull post on the back but I don't really like push-pulls. The mini-toggles on top are really convenient and replace any pull-pots. It's great being able to access the different clipping options to suit different amps, playing conditions etc.

todd richman

I want one of those BTW with the extra switches. In fact, I think I want to build a 2nd board dedicated to Realfi with the same pedals as his signature including the volume pedal and tuner. It really is the perfect alt.country board.

58lespaulman

I have one with the two switches and love it. I basically wanted this because of the asymetrical clipping option that the timmy gets. The Normal Tim cannot get asymetrical clipping unless you get the two switches put in by Paul. My Tim works like this. Both switches down is uncomressed normal tim, both up is compressed tim like pulling out on the push pull, and one down and one up is asymetrical. Here is a picture of mine painted by DonnerR.

sandman

yeah, I've got one with 'Realfi/Grant' mod...it's a mighty cool fine-tuning extra thingie to have easily accesible....

but, as 'default' Tim owners know it's an incredibly versatile pedal with two stock clippings 'only'...don't sweat it. plug in and rawk'n'roll

skyn

Would it be possible to do the asymmetrical clipping mod without having to send it back to Paul? As in based on the level of difficulty of modding it as such, would a local small time pedal modder be able to do it?

Thanks!

dmczern

Would it be possible to do the asymmetrical clipping mod without having to send it back to Paul? As in based on the level of difficulty of modding it as such, would a local small time pedal modder be able to do it?

Thanks!
Ditto, I've got "some" skills.....wondering if I could do this easily...mmmm.

LL1

Silver Supporting Member
Anyone remember the old TIMs having a Saturation and Resonance toggle?...if so then would there be possiblity for a Tim with 4 toggles?

Trending Topics