Extremely Rare Gibson LP Deluxe!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by RedLizard, Jan 12, 2006.

1. RedLizard

RedLizard Member

2. matte

matte Senior Member

"64 Les Paul? That is rare. So rare, that even Gibson isn't aware of having made it.

3. Lesterman123

Lesterman123 Member

Heheh man you guys just dont know what your talking about ;) all the greats played those 1964 gibsons, I have 3 of them, right next to my 1903 PRS flame burst and my Fender 335.

4. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Silver Supporting Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    He has 100% positive feedback so it must not be a mistake.

5. Luke V

Luke V Member

Man, that is rare, it even has full size humbuckers.:NUTS

6. RedLizard

RedLizard Member

I asked the seller about it and here's the reply I got:

Yes it is a rare Late 1964, if you want to know more about it or find out about the year for sure you can call Elderly Instruments and they should/can tell you more about it. This guitar isn't mine it was my brothers that passed away on Feb. 7th, 2005. Thank you very much for your interest.

blueangel124

7. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

I also asked the seller..................

Question from oveme
    Item: Late 1964 Green Sunburst Gibson Les Paul Deluxe (7381561924)
    This message was sent while the listing was active.
    oveme is a potential buyer.

"You do realize that Gibson was not making these Les Pauls in 1964,
    don't you."

To which she answered.............

"Call Elderly Instruments and they can give you the facts on the guitar and everything.

Thank you for your interest,
    blueangel124"

But hey, check this out...........

"eBay sent this message to MICHELE ARMSTRONG (blueangel124)."

I wonder if she's like, hot or somethin..........M.E.

8. AlexF

AlexF Member

Awww, and guess what? Her only 2 visible purchases amount to under $2.50!! I just love that Electric Green sunburst colour they did. And that new neck too, I bet it just bolts right on!:jo
    Al

9. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Obviously incorrect info on the year anyhow.

My not always perfect recollection is that Gibson stopped making the single cut "Les Paul" shape in late 1960 - early 1961. Then they made SG shaped Les Pauls until like '63, and re-started w/ the single cut shape in '68.

In '68, an LP Deluxe definitely would have had mini-humbuckers.

Replaced the neck? Why on earth would somebody do that? It must've been broken ..... Green sunburst? I've seen a couple sunbursts that faded to green, but that's pretty rare too .....

Anyhow, it ain't a '64 - no way. If so, it's the rarest LP in the world.

Or it was, until they replaced the neck (GRIN) There is definitely some missing information here.

Dana

10. Michael E: Funeral Crasher... :)

11. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

It seem that E-bay anymore is a source of sadness. It is more and more like some virtual stinking pawnshop, with a slimy proprietor who thinks everything they have is "special". It's really nearly all, just used junk. Is it wierd that I pity the seller? I almost would prefer that it's an out and out fraud, rather than some naive person who's brother really died. I prefer the lie or the liar. Creepy.

I'm not buying that guitar, there are a dozen problems with the deal.
    Whoever the toga dude who coined "Caveat Emptor" was, he must of had a vision of Ebay and then just said wwwwwoooowwwww!

12. mbratch

mbratch Member

Just a tad OT... :)

A lot of people seem to dis eBay, and think it is somehow intrinsically evil, because of there being sellers who either don't know what they're talking about or are purposely deceptive. But really that sort of thing occurs in just about any person-to-person market, even newspaper ads and so on, and has been around since people started buying and selling stuff. It's not unique to eBay.

So at eBay there truly are some good deals to be had. If you are a shrewd buyer (and it appears the posters on this thread are since you easily identified this guitar as not the "real McCoy"), then eBay works in your favor. If you don't educate yourself, then yes you can get hosed pretty good. But there are lots of places, in addition to eBay, for that to happen in that case.

In this particular deal, I think it's a fraud. If the seller truly was ignorant, they wouldn't reply with "just ask Elderly Instruments". They also seem to know that Elderly Instruments is known in the guitar community as dealing in vintage guitars, so it's an obvious thing to say to weakly convince a skeptical buyer. The dead brother part is probably thrown in there for the pity appeal.

13. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

So I called Elderley, y'know, just to see...............

Well it turns out that she has never been in the store! Cuz none of the staff could tell me if she was hot! Generally, you would remember a hot chick r sumthin.....

So, yeah, I now think it is a fraud. M.E.

Funeral Crasher......LOL!!

14. Izy

Izy Member

1964 Gibson LP deluxe and only starting at $2500? Pics are not well taken. ebayer is not forthcoming with information.

Sounds fishy to me.

i'll definitely pass on this!

15. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

No, it definitely wouldn't have.

16. Luke V

Luke V Member

Deluxe = small humbuckers

17. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

There was no such beast as a LP Deluxe in '68. It was called a LP standard in '68, and had a pair of P90's. The standard continued into early-mid '69 and then became the Deluxe with a pair of mini's, pancake construction, and other changes. My first good guitar was a new '69 deluxe goldtop! Still have it. Wish I had gotten a '68 though.....;)

As for this auction, of course it's a ridiculous claim but I agree completely with mbratch about ebay. It's no different than it's ever been buying used stuff via ads, flea markets, or used gear stores. Know a little bit about what you are buying. Ebay is not evil, but there are people that are, and if not evil, at least misinformed. Does anybody really expect Ebay to have a resident expect on hand to review every auction for accuracy and honesty?

18. hemlock

hemlock Guest

I just put my bid in with esnipe!

19. loveanddag

loveanddag Member

On the other hand, Ive always wanted a green sunburst LP that was a warmoth or something.