Eye-opening tonal upgrades -- things that surprised you

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by LordThurisaz, Jun 24, 2019.

1. KramerPacerCarreraGuy

KramerPacerCarreraGuy Member

changed my pickups from Seymour Duncan JB's to Antiquities, Seth Lover and SH1.

They are all nice, but different, but still similar.

Mincer and LordThurisaz like this.
  2. MrSoftV

MrSoftV Member

Is it a cliche to say... technique? Probably, but it's true. Going to spend thousands on gear then I want to make sure the tone going into the pickups in the first place is the best I can do. So first and foremost I try my best to make sure I consider the music at all times and make good choices in what I play. Next you have to bring it to life. One won't get good tone from just fretting/picking strings, even when it's all the right notes because there is no such thing. You have to play the entire guitar. So dynamics, speed, considerate phrasing, back and forth variance between pick and fingers in parallel with the the volume knob. Good vibrato. Now with all of this you will get good tone from pretty much any pedal that isn't a novelty joke pedal like a miku etc. How? Because all of this makes a listener feel like what they are hearing is "just happening" and that you are some kind of guitar master just sparking excitement left right and centre. Your tone is awesome and inspiring. Congratulations!

Moody Tuner and LordThurisaz like this.
  3. metr01d

metr01d Member

Learning to not always scoop my mids!

4. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

After 10+ years of using Tortex green .88’s I switched to Clayton Acetal rounded triangle .80’s and they seem much brighter, more articulate, they wear better plus you get three picking points instead of one.

Highly recommended.

(Periodically, I do switch back just for comparison and, nope ...the Tortex sound dead).

-bEn r.

LordThurisaz likes this.
  5. LordThurisaz

LordThurisaz Member

Only need the one picking point, but glad you found something even better.

6. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

Three last longer.

Bonus.

-bEn r.

LordThurisaz likes this.
  7. Kevy_Metal

Kevy_Metal Member

When I switched to using Dava Delrin picks a few years ago, that was it for me. They're just perfect and using anything else feels weird.

LordThurisaz likes this.
  8. sxcustom

sxcustom Member

Same here with picks. But not before buying a quality amp that made the difference between picks stark.

Dave B likes this.
  9. Kevsonic

Kevsonic Supporting Member

50s wiring really opened up my MIM Tele, and combined with a treble bleed circuit it has made a volume knob player out of me for life.

Speakers I definitely agree with as well. Nothing great or esoteric here, but putting a Vintage 30 into my HRD made it so much better.

10. guff

guff Member

Running amp on a variac/voltage regulator+line conditioner

11. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

me too lol. Never touched either knob. They were just decorations nobody used.

JackfromAK likes this.
  12. Spider Mark

Spider Mark Member

Phases of my Hobby Playing and Tone Quest so far (no one else may recognise anything here, just my own opinion and experience):

Day 1: Clueless but keen, Strat into a Fender Mustang and Boss ME-80 Multi-effects board. I’ll never need to buy a stinking pedal, ever. I can’t play a note, so Drop D, crank the Metal tones, annoy the neighbours and flub a two-string scale. But the tones! So many tones I’ll never need any more gear, ever.

6 Months later, join TGP: Oh. I need a tube amp (if not a Suhr, Morgan or Friedman) a Custom Shop Strat or LP and 20 exotic pedals each worth more than the gear I have. People actually buy this Klon thing?!? I’ll get a Squier Tele, a Bugera 5 watt Infinium and a Tube Screamer.

18 months in: Vox AC10, Marshall DSL5C in stereo and floor covered with Black Arts Toneworks and EQD pedals, a G&L and a PRS … What is this “Tone is in the Fingers” malarkey? Vibe, Phaser, Delays, Octave, Chorus aren’t in my fingers, but when I noodle about tones are sparkling, shifting speakers, and while hardly music for anyone else is great fun.

Yesterday: Blew up the DSL5C (fuse I think) last week, so Egnater Tweaker mono with Strymon Volante in the FX Loop … and turning off my Spaceman, Basic Audio, Timmy etc. Ordered a Reverend Airsonic W and an Orange Dark Terror, and intend to have the Volante in the Loop and nothing else, at least for the moment.

It turns out my fingers have grown some tone, and playing is more fun (for the moment anyway) than noodling loops and effects. Didn’t care about picks and strings – now I’m trying various kinds of pick, Cobalt and M-Steel Strings, new pickups for my first Strat because I never liked the Humbucker in it …

Seriously, the Volante made a huge difference in my “playing” and enjoyment and the tones …

ThinPaperWings and Vaibhav Joshi like this.
  13. LordThurisaz

LordThurisaz Member

I've gotten really into it the past two years or so. I set up my tone with the volume at 8 and tone on full. That way I can get it as bright as I want, but also make it darker. Also, I can turn up a little for more harmonics, for solos, etc, or turn down for more of an OD sound.

jimijimmyjeffy likes this.
  14. scopa

scopa Member

What attenuator are you using on the SR? Thanks

15. PianoMan

PianoMan Supporting Member

Moving where I pick/strum the strings closer to the fretboard. Instantly makes my tone thicker and beefier.

Thumpalumpacus and LordThurisaz like this.
  16. woof*

woof* Member

1988, the year I switched to Stratocasters.

17. JimHalinda

JimHalinda Member

The first big realization was:

Less gain = more tone

... I couldn’t tell my guitars apart, and then one day I backed off on the gain until my strat sounded like a strat, LP like an LP, etc... then I could start hearing tonal nuances and playing dynamics.

It was the start of a long journey (for about 9 years) of figuring out what I wanted from a guitar, tone-wise.

Now I can turn the gain back up, but not as far, and with a better basic guitar tone to begin with.

MeisterD and LordThurisaz like this.
  18. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

19. aaronjcurtis

aaronjcurtis Member

Picks. I started using Dunlop Jazz III, 1.14mm’s and will never look back.

And rolling back my volume and tone. Huge change for me.

LordThurisaz likes this.
  20. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

Tube Amp Doctor Silencer (2 Ohm)

scopa likes this.