EZ drummer 2 question

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by jamminoutloud1, Jul 12, 2019.

1. jamminoutloud1

jamminoutloud1 Supporting Member

I just bought EZ drummer 2. I wanted to replace sounds in Logic Drummer (thinking they would be better and more real).

They do sound quite good, but the snare drums they offer have this ringing to them that seems too much.

Any recommendations on how to approach this? Do I need to get an expansion pack for good sounds?

2. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

Have you dug into the mixer inside EZD2? There are some settings in there you can change.

You can also change the MIDI velocity on the snare hits. Maybe what you're hearing is a full stick, full velocity hit that is supposed to be ringy, but if you reduce the MIDI velocity in the piano roll on your track, you may hear more of what you want.

Personally I like the sounds of the Logic drums better, as long as I'm using the Producer Kits. YMMV.

jamminoutloud1 likes this.
  3. Billinder33

Billinder33 Member

You can also EQ the ring out. Boost a low Q (notch) frequency band about +10db, sweep the EQ across the frequency spectrum until you identify the frequency of the ring, then notch cut that frequency... Works like a charm!

I upgraded EZ Drummer to Superior Drummer a few years ago and was shocked at how much better it sounded. If you have the funds, I'd recommend the upgrade.

If you stick with EZD, I recommend the Progressive Rock EZX. IMO it's the best sounding kit they have for EZD, and sounds good on most styles of music, not just Prog/Metal.

Good luck!

jamminoutloud1 likes this.
  4. jamminoutloud1

Thanks for this! I will investigate more. Can you tell me what you mean by “producer kits” for logic drummer?

5. jamminoutloud1

Cool! I’ll check them out. Have you compared it to the Nashville kits? I’ve been reading about those.

6. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Silver Supporting Member

I have several and imo the Custom Shop kit is by far the most natural sounding kit I've heard in any of Toontracks products.

Dig into the EZ drum mixer screen and the drum envelope editor. You can probably use the adsr envelope to tame that ringing, maybe add a gate, or choose a different snare drum.

7. Lele

Lele Member

Thanks for this information!
    Could you tell me what other EZX Expansion packs you have and compared with it?

I have the following EZX Expansions:
    Americana
    Jazz
    Metal Machine
    Pop/Rock
    UK Pop

and even if each pack has interesting sounds, imho the best is the UK Pop pack. I like also the Americana pack, that is more useful for "vintage" sounds.

8. Lele

Lele Member

I hate you! ;)
    I thought that after spending my money for 5 Expansion sets (that I listed in my previous post) I could have enough choices (that I haven't even explored a lot!) and now you and @Billinder33 come out with additional essential suggestions...

soundchaser59 likes this.
  9. Billinder33

Billinder33 Member

Unfortunately I have not tried the Nashville's, but have heard good things as well.

Honestly, if you're considering upgrading EZX with kits, I'd just go to Superior instead. The reason SD sounds much better is because it has cross-bleed between the mics, like a real kit would have. You can adjust that as well, for instance, how much kick drum bleeds into the snare. Which isn't to say that you'll spend all day tweaking, it sounds great out of the box, but there may be an occasion where you want, for instance, less high hat in the overhead mics. It also has a really nice FX section with some decent verbs, which I have been choosing on the snare occasionally over my many other plugins.

I had a full album with mostly Progressive and the dry/funk EZX, and after spending a few minutes demoing SD, it was such a significant improvement on every track that I ended up replacing the whole album with SD. There are enough drums/kits in SD, that I've never wanted to buy another SD expansion. Plus if you already own some EZX's you can use those drums in SD as well. There are times where I'll import something from the Electronic EZX into SD, like to layer an 808 with a real kick drum to create a modern-pop/hip-hip kick.

Another useful feature (to me) - you can tap a beat into SD and it will search your midi library for the most likely matches... Super handy if you have a riff you're trying to match a beat to.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    soundchaser59 and Crowder like this.
  10. Crowder

11. Crowder

12. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Silver Supporting Member

I should add that may be one reason why I like the Custom Shop EZX so much, because I'm running it in SD with (almost) all the additional options SD brings to the kit.