EZ Drummer problems

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Powerpopfan, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Powerpopfan

Powerpopfan Member

Ok, I just loaded EZ drummer twice and...nothing. No icon on the desk, nothing found when searching exept for the sample sets. Isnt there supposed to be a program here? Am I missing something?

2. delichef

delichef Member

It's a plug-in....not a stand alone app. You have to put it on a track in your DAW.

3. Powerpopfan

Powerpopfan Member

umm right... but what about the interface for sound auditioning?

4. delichef

delichef Member

That's the plug-in. What DAW are you using? It supports RTAS, AU and VST. I use Logic which supports AU. In Logic, I create an instrument track, and insert EZ drummer on the track. When I open the plug-in for EZ drummer, it has the UI for mixing, loops, etc.

If you install EZdrummer, there isn't an EZdrummer app anywhere that you launch and create drum tracks....it's all done within the plug-in (which is loaded within a recording application). Maybe i'm not understanding your question?

5. delichef

delichef Member

6. wouldbeirish

wouldbeirish Member

Not sure if this will help or not. Here's how I got it to work in Garageband (if I remember correctly). First thing to do would be to create a new software instrument. Under instrument Generator you have to scroll down and should see EZ Drummer under Audio Unit Models. Then you click on the pencil icon on the right and it should bring up the EZ Drummer plugin. You should be able to then save and rename the whole thing as a new software instrument.

Hope this is right. I'm not sure if you are using Garageband or not. I'm going on memory as my iMac is in the shop being repaired and I haven't loaded EZ Drummer on my Macbook.

Ron

7. Powerpopfan

Powerpopfan Member

Thanks guys. Ive been recording for years at home with my Yamaha AW2816 but slow incorporate the computer. Sorry if I have come off too NOOB! You would think one would know a little more before plunking down $100... I use ACID 6 now. That should work, no?

I use ACID strictly to write drum tracks. Up until now, I have been cutting up 4 and 8 bar samples of live acoustic drums like BetaMonkey and Drums on Demand and I think they sound great (see linked demos for examples). But I was hoping EZ drummer would shorten the process for me.

8. wouldbeirish

wouldbeirish Member

Yeah, I bought EZ Drummer thinking it would make things easier as well. I don't really see that much of a difference between that and the loops that are included with Garageband and the Jam Packs. Maybe I just haven't figured it out yet.

Ron

PS Did you see that Superdrag is recording a new record with the original lineup?

9. Powerpopfan

Powerpopfan Member

Yes, Yes! and I am, once again, totally stoked. Actually, the wife and I have tickets for the April New York show with (another fave) Nada Surf.

10. wouldbeirish

wouldbeirish Member

Cool, saw that as well. Wish I was close, but Florida is a bit too far away. I love Nada Surf as well. Didn't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm always up for showing some love for Superdrag.

Ron

11. Powerpopfan

Powerpopfan Member

Well, I hope they make it down closer to you!

12. Powerpopfan

Powerpopfan Member

I wanted to bump this, because Im still at a loss. In what appears to be the final step of loading this on my computer, I hit "finish" and the window disappears. No acknowledgement that it has been successfully loaded or anything. I use ACID 6, would I find it by going in through there?

I understand its a plugin, not a software, but where do i find the view seen here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cpw8rNZ2xVA

frustrated ez drummer noob.

13. wstsidela

wstsidela Knottsferatu

What drive are you installing it on?

I had plug-ins that didn't work unless I installed them on the C: drive.

14. Powerpopfan

Powerpopfan Member

I was just letting it put it wherever by hitting "next" everytime. I will have to check and see...

15. wouldbeirish

wouldbeirish Member

When I installed it on my iMac I had to authorize the software. I think you have to do that before you can do anything with it. Just go to
    www.toontrack.com

They also have user forums there. Maybe someone there has used it with Acid and can help?

Hope this helps,
    Ron

16. Brion

Brion Supporting Member

Are you sure you bought the whole program and not just an expansion pack? I thought EZ drummer was more like $170 ??

17. wouldbeirish

wouldbeirish Member

I didn't notice that. I paid around $180 for mine and $100 for an expansion pack.

Ron

18. Zero Point

Zero Point Member

I think the OP is confused about how to load a softsynth plugin.

You have to have Sonar, Logic, Tracktion, Ableton Live... Some lomd of recording software.

Then you load ezd up as a software instrument and control in via a midi track..

-ZP

19. Powerpopfan

Powerpopfan Member

cool. thanks, man. I bet thats it.

20. Powerpopfan

Powerpopfan Member

ACID 6 is a recording software. no? this version of ez drummer is supposed to come with an interface that allows you to audition drums samples via a picture of a drumset, and also is supposed to include midi tracks of various patterns...unless other posters are correct and its not the full version, although nothing on the package says "expansion".