EZ Drummer vs Superior Drummer (full version)

Skullbros

Anyone have experience with both of these programs that can speak to the ease of use and features of one versus the other? Obviously, EZ Drummer is the entry level product but does the expanded feature set and ease of use of Superior Drummer warrant my dropping another $100 on the full-featured version? What about the learning curve when upgrading? I've also read in a couple of places that the install for SD is a real bitch.

dingdongditch

I use EZ. It gets the job done.
I trigger it with a usb drum kit. Alexis Dm6
Mostly use the vintage rock expansion.
The Jazz kit is fun sometimes.
How are you going to trigger the samples?

Skullbros

I use EZ. It gets the job done.
I trigger it with a usb drum kit. Alexis Dm6
Mostly use the vintage rock expansion.
The Jazz kit is fun sometimes.
How are you going to trigger the samples?
Thanks—I trigger the samples using an M-Audio Axiom keyboard or I use the pre-created grooves and then edit them.

mattball826

sd2.0 imo sounds better and has far more options than ezd. it was not hard to install either. just time consuming like most daw and sampled based software.

Both are excellent. I had no installation problems. As you'd expect, SD2 is many times more powerful and with more options and possibilities comes more to learn. I was raised on the Boss Dr. Rhythm machines, so I would have been happy with EZD on its own. There are always sales on the expansion packs at places like Audiodeluxe.com so you can add one or two new kits for $39 a pop. Americana, Nashville and Vintage have all been very useful for me.

BFD eco is also well worth a look, especially if you can find it for the $29 it regularly seems to be on sale for.

Der JD

I used EZ for a couple of years before purchasing SD a couple of months ago.

To me, SD sounds far better, primarily because you have complete control of bleeds for each mic. I never realized to what extent the drums influence the quality of the whole mix until I got SD. Basically, sub-par drums in the mix = crappy sounding mix regardless of how good the guitars, bass, etc. sound.

SD is way more advanced but it's really not all that necessary to understand every element forward and backward. There are a lot of presets available that offer a great starting point. My drum presets are just tweaked versions of Toontrack presets.

kev324

Silver Supporting Member
I've used EZD and almost all of the expansion packs for a few years. It works really well, some of the snares could be better. I'm still planning on picking up Addictive Drums at some point.

Monotremata

BFD2 before either one.

Add to it the BFD Deluxe Expansion pack (engineered by Steve Albini at Electrical Audio even) and you are set. Play em yourself instead of programming it and nobody will even know theyre not real drums.. Closest Im ever gonna come to owning a real Ludwig Vistalite (or Black Oyster) kit!

Just be warned.. The 'full' install of the Deluxe pack with all 128 velocity layers installed takes up ~55GB of space so get a spare drive if you wanna use it to its fullest potential... That said, Ive used both the medium and small installs and gotten just as awesome results..

Oh and if youre used to the 'standard' General MIDI drumkit mapping be prepared to throw that out the window.. Aside from just the 'regular' drum hits, BFD's got multiple types of snare hits/drags/flams and each cymbal has multiple spots as well (like the edges/bells/open, half-open, choked hi-hats, etc..). Took me awhile to figure out where everything was on the keyboard after just using the GM drum mapping for 20 years. Each kit also has individual direct mics along with overheads, a stereo room pair, and an ambient stereo pair (placed even farther back from the room set). Controls for damping, bleed on the snare and kick mics, humanizing, loops, yada yada yada.. Im not even gonna get into the options in the built in mixer..

Never used the ECO version but if its half as good as the full version, its a no brainer for 'real' drum sounds..
I still wanna pick up the Andy Johns Rock expansion one day..