EZDrummer/Superior Drummer?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Teleking, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Teleking

Teleking Supporting Member

I was using Acid Loops for awhile for writing and recording demos, but I changed to a Mac and now all my loops won't work as they're PC.

I've read/heard about EZDrummer/Superior Drummer and wanted to know if it's the same type of concept as Acid is? Seems like you get a lot for the money. Anyone used this? Do you like it? Easy to use? Are there better programs?

Thanks for any input.

2. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I have it, came to it from Acid and it's so much more EVERYTHING than Acid was for doing drums that I'll sound like I'm hyping if I keep typing.

Get EZDrummer Pro and get your feet wet. They have crossgrade/upgrade and the interface is fast and easy to understand.

If you are anything like me, I guarantee within the first 15 minutes you'll be blown away.

3. Calaban

Calaban Member

I have EZ Drummer and I love it. I am new to drum sequencing or whatever you call it, but it has been pretty simple. The sounds are actually quite amazing. Get it. Worth it.

4. Rhynobyte

Rhynobyte Member

I used drum machines/loops. Then I got EZdrummer. I love it. Makes it very simple to creat great drum tracks. They usually have some sort of sale going on as well. The expansions can be on sale a lot as well. Very cheap. Lots and lots of midi. You can usuall find the fills you need for a tune and also easily mod them and add your own hits. A little compression on the kick alittle less on the toms and slight touch of verb on the snare and you've got a decent workable drum track. Do the easy and if you like it and get used to the program you can upgrade to superior.

Good luck

5. JCM 800

JCM 800 Member

I really like EZ Drummer. Great program, and it's pretty affordable for what it is. I've often created songs and ran each drum/mic from EZD to a separate track in Pro Tools. I then mix just like I would with real drum tracks. I get some really good results this way.

6. DaveNJ

DaveNJ Supporting Member

Add me to the list - LOVE EZD! I picked up a few of the expansion packs as well - Vintage Rock and the off the wall one with things like hatboxes and pots and pans - a lot of fun...

7. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

The Vintage Rock is my next purchase from them.

8. Rhynobyte

Rhynobyte Member

You'll love it. I have all but nashville,latin and twisted. Love that fat sounding ludwig kit.

9. Elmer

Elmer hell is chrome

OK, I'm convinced. I've been looking for easy to use drum software that sounds good, and this looks like the ticket. I just ordered it from musiciansfriend.com - it's $99 through 12/31. It may be the same price elsewhere, but it was $179 at Toontrack's website...

10. Rhynobyte

Rhynobyte Member

Congrats Elmer!

There are lots of midi loops with it and they also sell the midi monster packs for $19 which are filled with things like odd meters. If you're like me and you want a decent drum track but find the tedium of constructing it a bummer. You're gonna love this. Adding fills is a breeze there is also the humanization knob which when increased varies the attack of the sticks and throws an odd hit in there evry now and then so it doesnt sound like a machine. I never paid more than $39 for an expansion which is essentially like getting a whole new drum kit. Plus the expansions come with a ton of midi loops as well.

11. Amp360

Amp360 Senior Member

I have it. I have one major issue and that is if you're triggering from electronic drums the sounds don't line up and there is no way to remap what MIDI note you're playing.

I solved this by placing a MIDI transpose insert on my drum track, but it's kind of a drag.

Other then that it's good. There is an Ocean Way version out now for $200 that has much better sounds, but you would have to program your parts.

I do believe if you buy EZ right now you get the Akai pad thing for free (from GC anyway). Every month or two they do half price on the expansion kits.

12. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

so if I want to use ez drummer with my korg d1600 (its a standalone unit, not pc) and that uses .wav files for tracks.. can it be done with EZ?

13. The Whale

The Whale Supporting Member

as a sidenote: I found an EZDrummer sale at Sweetwater that you may like:

EZdrummer + Vintage Rock Expansion pack + 12 pad controller interface = $99.00

My local guitar center couldn't match it. they said "sweetwater wins this round!"

14. BadMelonFarmer

BadMelonFarmer Member

WOW, that is a great deal!!!

in fact is looks like you can get that price with any of the Expansion packs not just vintage rock

HMMM now I wonder is they ship to the UK?:dunno

thanks for the tip off!

Cheers

BMF

15. BadMelonFarmer

BadMelonFarmer Member

out of stock, I have asked them when they are due in and if they will ship to the UK.

16. Elmer

Elmer hell is chrome

That's an incredible deal! Yeah, as BMF said, they're out of stock. Might be worth canceling my MF deal and waiting a bit. Hmmmm.....

17. BadMelonFarmer

BadMelonFarmer Member

I got a reply and they had 1 nanopad left! so I got the deal!!!

picked up the twisted kit bundle and the software is downloadable so I get to play with it while I wait for the nanopod to swim the ocean!

they said it will be a few weeks until anymore nanopads come in.

Thanks "The Whale" for the tip off!!!

18. Elmer

Elmer hell is chrome

I talked to my sales guy at Sweetwater, and he said they expect the nanopad to be in next week (we'll see... but I'm in no hurry). I canceled my MF order and went with Sweetwater instead - got the Twisted Kit bundle as well.

Heck of a good deal!

19. BadMelonFarmer

BadMelonFarmer Member

it's a great deal!

Just playing around with the software now.

20. BadMelonFarmer

BadMelonFarmer Member

Elmer,

will they do part shipping? the reason I ask is that in this deal the software is downloadable and then they send you the nanopad in the post, but the licence keys are sent via email.

So I wonder if they would send you the keys and links for the software so you could get started with that and then just wait for the nanapad.

just a thought.

Cheers

BMF