F-50 v.s. zinky blue velvet v.s. traynor blue 50....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fancynapkin, Dec 29, 2005.

1. fancynapkin

fancynapkin Member

I need a grab and go 1x12 combo that is loud enough for gigging, that will have enough headroom for jazz, and that will be very verstaile, without breaking the bank.

mesa F-50 - good cleans, plenty of gain, loud, but the OD might not be the greatest

zinky blue velvet - very good OD, decent cleans, only 25 watts, questionable headroom

traynor blue 50 - good cleans, good OD, not too expensive, but overall quality of sound maybe not as good as the other two. Maybe not enough gain too.

peavey valveking - very cheap, widely available, but the sound might not be close to the others.

rivera ____ - great cleans, bad OD.

I probally will be buying some OD pedals to help with any tones I can't grasp.

Anyone with expirience with any of these, please chime in. Its the headroom and cleans that Im really concerned about.

2. fancynapkin

fancynapkin Member

bump.

Also, Im taking a close look at the rivera R55. anyone want to comment on that one?

3. *zr*

*zr* Member

Another option would be a Zinky Blue Velvet but in the newer 50 watt version. More headroom, bigger sound. Yes, you may have seen that I'm selling one but I am giving you good advice here. I have a Zinky MOFO head which is the only reason I'm selling the BV50! Zinky amps are great!

4. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Sure is loud enough for gigging, and has enough headroom for jazz. It's versatile, and used will be as affordable as anything decent.

As to the "bad OD". To some extent that is a matter of taste. Rivera has a few other combos which are in that neighborhood; Jake, Fandango, Quiana, Suprema, Chubster '40 or '55, R30, M60, old Knucklehead 55. All of them more or less answer the description you gave, and used they are all about the same price. The main difference between them is the flavor of the drive channel, so you might find one you like better than the ones you've come across so far. I have several different amps, and one of my favorite OD channels of all is on the Jake.

5. fancynapkin

fancynapkin Member

bump.
    Right now the zinky blue velvet and traynor 50 are looking to be my main choices because they are the cheaper compared to the f-50 and rivera. The Zinky looks like its a really killer amp, but is the 25 watts going to be sufficent?

6. bspears

bspears Member

The Zinky is pure gold. I have the 25W BV and it has plenty of headroom but I don't gig.

7. j37nm

j37nm Member

The mesa F50 is plenty loud for any gigs. It is just as loud as 100 watt amplifiers. In fact, it has similar bottom to a 100 watt amplifier when cranked.

The non-contour (vintage) distortion is very smooth. It is a great lead sound. If you back off on the distortion, it cleans up real nice.

The contour (modern) distortion sounds like a MB rectifier, though much warmer.

The cleans are exceptional, definitely enough head room. They are very warm, 3d. It will be loud enough. Unless you are gigging in very large rooms, the cleans won't break up. I installed a texas heat in mine, and the cleans are wonderful! Overall, it gave the amp a nice bluesy sound.

j

8. davetcan

davetcan Supporting Member

I have the 25W Blue Velvet and have owned a Traynor YCV40. The Blue Velvet kills it in every department, and I did like the Traynor. I don't gig but I do jam with a few bands quite a bit. Lots of clean headroom to get over a pretty loud drummer so I'm sure the Zinky would be fine for small clubs. The dirty channel is amazing, I'm always getting compliments on tone from the other band members (my playing sucks but that's another story). If the Zinky sounds good with me playing it then it must be really good. :)

edit: and no I'm not selling it.

9. fancynapkin

fancynapkin Member

The traynor custom 50 blue is supposed to be quite different than the other traynors (due to the El34s). For 600$ it looks like a real good deal, I could use the extra money on pedals or a podxt.

10. kselbee

kselbee Member

Another vote for the Zinky. I've had my 25 watt BV for just a couple weeks but love it. I initially got it for a bedroom amp, but actually gigged with it last night. That being said, I'm now planning to get the 50 watter for a little more low end and punch in a band setting.

11. fancynapkin

fancynapkin Member

Do they make a 50 watt combo? If so, how much can I get one for??

12. sage97

sage97 Member

Let me know if you should ever decide to sell the 25 watter.

13. davetcan

davetcan Supporting Member

I have a 1 x 12 ext cab loaded with an Eminence Gov'nor that does the trick very nicely.

14. *zr*

*zr* Member

I have a 50 watt combo on ebay right now. Price starts at only $799. Just a few months old. Lists for $1,560! A lucky bidder could save hundreds on a fantastic amp. I just prefer my Zinky MOFO head and cab is the only reason I'm selling. Just do a search on ebay for zinky (or, I could post a link but I'm not sure if that's appropriate on this board). Good luck.

15. UconnJack

UconnJack Member

I had an F-50 and Traynor YCV50. Hands down the F-50 is a better amp on all fronts. Can't speak for the Zinky. I didn't like the "Blue", thought it sounded very thin and one dimensional. Cleans were less than stellar. The F-50 is very versitle and has a grainy to modern OD. The Blue has a more open and Marshally OD. Didn't like the build quality of the Traynor. Owned both the YCV40WR and the YCV50. Not my thing. The cleans on these amps are not warm All IMO of course.

I've heard the Zinky clips and they sound great. I ended up with a VHT Pittbull 45 as my 1x12 combo of choice. Maybe check that one out as well.

Good Luck.
    YMMV

16. fancynapkin

fancynapkin Member

hmm, do you think the f-50 is worth the extra $400?? If I went with the traynor, that could be money for a new speaker and tubes... Also how much is the pittbull running for and how do you like it?

17. kselbee

kselbee Member

Definately want to hang on to it for a bedroom amp... just may get the 50 watter as well.

18. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

19. Plan9FOS

Plan9FOS Member

You will not get 50 watts with the Traynor unless you add the extension cab. It is 50 watts at minimum impedance, which is 4ohms. The combo speaker is 8 ohms. Don't you hate when the rating is stated in terms other than what the amp itslef is set for? Almost like false advertising. So the combo by itself is not pushing enough power for clean headroom at gig levels. Add the cab and it is good enough, but I recommend you stay away from the Traynor. The tubes cook as you play a gig, and the sound compresses more and more.

20. TK LP

TK LP Member

The Traynor really doesn't need a new speaker, unless you don't like Vintage 30's. The Traynor does however benefit nicely with new tubes. I replaced the stock Sovtek power and preamptubes in mine with a pair of Winged C's EL34's, and the reissue GT Mullards 12ax7's. Really warmed things up. Gain is now much more fluid, think hot-rodded Marshall, with enough on tap to get my Strat easily into crunch. Cleans aren't Fender, but I think they would be well suited to jazz, more so after the tube change. Ample headroom. Reverb ain't bad either. I also pair it with a Mesa 1x12 3/4 cabinet with a V30, and the pairing sounds huge, it seems to really like running at 4 ohms. It's my portable Marshall.

I've owned a Mesa F50. Well built, very large sounding for it's size, plenty of gain on tap, will fatten up any single coil guitar, and has loads of clean headroom. Fenderish cleans. I really wanted to like this amp, but just couldn't bond with it. I guess I liked my Fenders better for their cleans, and couldn't get comfortable with the more modern gain. I wound up letting it go.

Tom