F1 2014----Part II

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by traviswalk, Oct 10, 2014.

1. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

A continuation of the first 2014 thread...

This will be a fascinating end of the season, who will win, what other driver changes will be made, etc.

And because I love Fittipaldi, here is him working a Lotus 72...

[​IMG]

2. Soul Man

Soul Man Local 83 Supporting Member

Great photo. Loved Emo but can't stand Christian, LOL.

3. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

In.

I've had a cool couple of F1 related days. Currently sitting in Kuala Lumpur International Airport, about half a mile from Sepang Circuit where the Malaysian Grand Prix is run. Took the tour of the Petronas Towers earlier this week - that was cool, though I think the Mercedes Silver Arrows they have in the lobby are fake. And last night we had a former Red Bull engineer and aerodynamic designer come speak to our team about precision and teamwork...he spoke for an hour about all this inside stuff including the way they use simulators and wind tunnels to design the car. He spent probably 15 minutes on the anatomy of a pit stop and the thousands of man-hours of practice it takes to perform a tire change in 2.6 seconds.

During races there's a team of 40 or so people, including a team back in Milton Keynes, who monitor telemetry and contribute to the decision making process about race strategy. They also monitor competitor cars and use geometric analysis software on the TV feeds to measure the camber angles and other suspension settings on competitor cars. By measuring angle change on competitor cars as they roll into turns, they can infer what suspension settings the competitors are using. Quite amazing. This morning I'm flying Malaysian Airlines to Hong Kong...wish me luck!!!! :eeks:eeks:eeks

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  4. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Supporting Member

I had a big huge die-cast metal one of those when I was a 9 or so...I was an F1 fan and didn't even realize it!!

Of course I'm rooting for Lewis but I really hope Williams has a strong weekend.

5. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Actually, the Mercs in the lobby are real. They are previous cars from a season or test cars.

6. jnepo1

The Sochi track has a lot of character, I just wish new tracks would have some elevation to them. COTA has the Spa look at the first turn, but that is the only elevation. Sochi is totally flat and understandable because of the venue's previous existence. I just hope any future considerations would have elevation considerations like the old school circuits.

7. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

Happy to See LH44 on P1 for the race tomorrow.

Got to feel sorry for Bo77as... If he didn't blow those final 2 corners, he would have pulled off the upset of the year in F1 by grabbing pole off the Mercs with zero time on the clock...

8. andrekp

andrekp Member

No offense, but why do we need a part II thread? What was wrong with continuing the perfectly good one we had? All you had to do was go straight to the last page.

9. D. Stewart

D. Stewart Member

As predicted, changes coming after Japan. Charlie/FIA will move toward imposed speed limits during yellows ....
    “One of the most important things for us to learn here is that it is probably better to take the decision to slow down away from the drivers. It’s better to put in place a system where it’s much clearer to everybody how much we think cars should slow down under similar circumstances.
    “That’s what we’re working on,...."
    http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/oct/10/fia-speed-limit-f1-drivers-jules-bianchi-crash

10. bluesjunior

bluesjunior Member

There was the max of 1000 posts on the old thread. Traviswalk has just moved it before the mods did.

11. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Supporting Member

Torro Rosso out qualified Ferrari???
    I agree with the others ... Beautiful track but needs elevation changes, good job Lewis and so close for Bottas, major bummer about Massa.

The sprint to the first corner should be interesting....

12. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

Cool, I stand corrected. Maybe I'm just not used to seeing them that clean!

13. PaganBeef

PaganBeef Member

Teams have been told keep the chatter down during the Russian National Anthem.

[​IMG]

14. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty

What a snoozer of a race. Probably the most boring of the year.

What a pity Rosberg had that issue in turn 1, otherwise this might have been a decent race btwn at least the front two. It is a sensational drive from him but purely damage limitation at this point.

15. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

Agreed. This was probably the most boring race/procession I've seen all year. Kudos to Rosberg for fighting back like he did, but overall there was no serious duking behind drivers, and they were all strung out at the end so pretty much everyone was driving in clear air...

16. tonyhay

tonyhay Member

Well, I missed the 2nd half of the race due to Tropical Storm Fay. No power, no cable at the moment ( but the generator came on). Looks like I didn't miss too much. Good to see Jenson in 4th.

17. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty

You didn't miss anything at all. Seriously I feel like I want my 2 hours back.

Good luck with the storm.

18. sysexguy

sysexguy Member

seems like Nascar has the edge on the duking, what an embarrassment to the sport that was.

+1 on the boring race, hope the blond damsel who waved to the camera when Putin greeted the still helmeted winners doesn't get sent to labour camp...

Andy

19. jnepo1

Sochi needs the soft/super soft tires for the next races. No tire degradation caused for a boring race. Having the race at night will also be an upgrade for the viewer.

20. Raymond Lin

Raymond Lin Member

Let's hope they don't race again there at all !