F1 2014----Part II

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by traviswalk, Oct 10, 2014.

1. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Well, they manage at Le Mans.

2. oldlefty

oldlefty Member

And some drivers refuse to drive there because of it.

3. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

That WAS interesting. I had no idea that certain incumbent teams got a fixed payment just for... being 'them'... I have nothing against Ferrari as a race team, but it just smacks of unfair play if they get MORE money for placing less in the constructors championships than other teams because of the 'prestige' they bring to the sport.

How about Bernie flip that idea on it's head... What if he viewed proposals from potential new teams, and selected two with the best prospectus and gave them each a 'new team starter' package of $50m each to kick start their R&D and infrastructure?

Get some new blood into the sport, spur innovation on.

4. andrekp

andrekp Member

Good race in Brazil. Something actually happened. I wish we'd see more on the broadcasts, but I suppose there's not much to be done about that - no matter what they showed, we'd STILL be missing something. I do remember when one of the promises made when the world was hyping the move to HDTV and why we'd all be thankful that it was being forced on us, was that we'd get all kinds of secondary information that we could turn on and off, like commentaries, films within films, etc. None of which, has arrived.

I do dread next year and it's possible three car teams. Imagine how boring this year would have been with THREE Mercedes taking up all the podium positions 90% of the time. That's great if you are a Merc fan, or like a particular Merc driver, but if you like someone else, it's just a lost year of frustration with no possible triumph in sight. I fear that for next year (and hope it won't be that way). I don't think it's good for F1, and it's only good for one team in dominant years.

5. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty

In the UK - on the SkyF1 channel - you can access TONS of extra info. You can ride along with just about anyone in the field, you can access technical info, cameras on the pitwall, etc etc etc.

I assumed in the US you had all the same access.

I think Lewis got lucky that his spin didn't cost him more. I get why he was peeved with the team as he likely would have either caught or passed Nico otherwise. But is it really only their call? Wouldn't he be able to say "my tires are shot, I need to come in"? And honestly, I don't get this cliff that they keep talking about with the tires.

ONE lap earlier he did a fastest lap of the race and then the next lap his tires are shot? How does that work?

As a Ferrari fan, I am seriously depressed about the concept of the engine freeze. Thank god I at least have Massa to cheer for.

6. D. Stewart

D. Stewart Member

Our feed is BBC here .... David Coultard & Ben what's his nane (won't shut up sometimes) .... generally it's pretty good. Sky's not available here, although I saw a Sky broadcast .... the race plus several hours of "stuff". Amazed at how much there was. (I'd watch Sky just for Martin Brundle!)

7. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

That broadcast is a work of genius in comparison with the NBC Sports broadcast we get here. I was in India for one race this year and Malaysia for another one (not live...watched them on TV). I've always heard the US broadcast is lame by comparison, but I was floored by the difference. Absolutely night and day.

8. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Now, I watch the feed on NBCSN but listen to the commentary from Sky. Sky's post race coverage is excellent where as we have David Barber, who is a total drunk commentating. He's changed some since moving from Speed (Fox Sports), where by the end of the broadcast, you can tell he's had quite a few.

9. TwoTubMan

TwoTubMan Member

It's best you hear this from a friend...

The Peratalda at the Mexico City citcuit is gone.

There was no choice, it literally butted up against a boulevard and then a neighborhood beyond. All of which would have to have been levelled for the FIA's runoff area requirements.

Too bad, one of my top 5 overtakes was when Mansell blew past Berger on the outside eons ago. I let out an expletive that likely offended the entire neighborhood that day.

10. Zeegler

Zeegler Member

Agreed. Up in Canada, we normally get the feed with David Coulthard (BBC), but for the USGP, we got NBC. David Hobbs is barely even coherent, and sounds like a confused old man most of the time. The Australian guy is just plain annoying 100% of the time. I don't mind the BBC feed at all, but I'd also rather have Sky with Martin Brundlefly.

11. tonyhay

tonyhay Member

Yes, that was a great overtake. Those were the days....

12. D. Stewart

D. Stewart Member

13. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

Keep it together Lewis, just bring home a 2nd, be careful out there....

Man I'm nervous for this weekend.....

14. soulohio

soulohio Member

.. watch which F1 car they sit when the music stops...

15. starjag

starjag Member

16. D. Stewart

D. Stewart Member

The guardian says Mclaren have signed him

17. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Supporting Member

I hear ya!
    If Nico outdrives him....it is what it is and I'm (sorta) ok with that but if he beats him due to driver error...I'll be really bummed.

Alonso is still being very coy...I really hope McLaren has a competitive car next year, along with Ferrari & Williams & Lotus.

18. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

Button seems a little peeved at the moment in the press. Talking about wanting to continue racing and perhaps looking at the Le Mans series for 2015... Maybe he is getting elbowed aside for Alonso?

Although I have heard other rumours that with the ceasing of Marussia and Caterham teams, and with Lotus & Sauber being close to the red, they may be looking at 3 car teams - if not next year, then the year after?? Perhaps there might be room for 3 drivers at McLaren yet ???

19. Zeegler

Zeegler Member

I would like to see Button go to Williams with Bottas for next year.

20. andrekp

andrekp Member

My feeling is that it's an open secret among the constructors that there will be three car teams next year (I HATE that idea), so I think some of the "mystery" surrounding some drivers is due to not being able to officially say and work toward that yet.

I thought for a while that Alonso would just stay with Seb and Kimi on their three-car team, but maybe that's clearly over now...or is it?