F1 2014

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by SGNick, Dec 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

This is shallow, but I can't stand the look of modern Indycars. With the giant side pods and width out of proportion to length, they look like kids' bathtub toys. It really puts me off watching the races...I can't take it seriously when I'm waiting for Spongebob to make an appearance. Not that F1 doesn't have its own appearance issues, what with the dildo noses. Thank heaven they're fixing that for next year.

2. D. Stewart

D. Stewart Member

When I see them, what immediately comes to mind for me is Peter Seller's melting nose/makeup prosthesis in one of his later films!

3. andrekp

andrekp Member

I agree. Indycars look more like some form of racing boat than a car.

For me, the bigger issue is that they are all the SAME basic car. I realize they did this so Indy would not wind up being the money-pit entry barrier that F1 has become, but a little variation would be nice. Qualifying on oval tracks is almost a joke in Indycar: One car at a time, flat out the entire time. Providing the driver doesn't do something stupid, it's just a race for minute variations in speed in nearly identical cars with a setup that has little to do with actual racing. You might as well just put them on the grid according to color.

Not saying F1 is perfect (I'd like to see the rules allow for a lot more variance between cars - like in the old days), but I love how F1 does qualifying.

4. Boobala

Boobala Member

IndyCar's Oval track qualifying is as you described, but the Road & Street courses are done in a way very similar to F1.

I agree about all the cars being the same. I sorely miss the days of teams building/buying their own. I hate the look of the news cars as well, they look like a lesser feeder series car (i.e. Indy Lights). I also dislike Oval racing, it's very boring. BUT, you take what you can get... at least IndyCar is not as boring as NASCAR.

5. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

I think the potential for these 18 inch tires is great, I personally LOVE the look of these on the current cars. Makes me forget the ugly noses... What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. soulohio

soulohio Member

what size were last year tyres

7. SGNick

SGNick Member

13" now

8. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Member

Smaller sidewall = less flex on the tyre while turning, correct?

9. Boobala

Boobala Member

Correct, but the entire suspension is designed around the current tire & wheel size. Changing side wall size, and therefore the amount flex, changes the handling characteristic of the car. In the Lotus testing of the proposed 18" wheel the car was 5 to 6 seconds slower per lap at Silverstone.

Anyway, Pirelli said the tires won't be available until 2016, the teams will certainly have plenty of time to change the suspension to accommodate the proposed wheel size if they choose to go that direction.

10. andrekp

andrekp Member

This is a just wheel size change right? (not a change in tire width or height?)

certainly draws your attention to the wheels...

11. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

Correct, same tire width and height but the rims are larger with less sidewall. They also want to highlight the brakes and the glowing discs when they stop, that would look great through those.

12. andrekp

andrekp Member

The engineers at Pirelli: "OK, now let's make it so our logo is even smaller..."

13. Soul Man

Soul Man Local 83 Silver Supporting Member

I wish Michelin or Bridgestone would get back in the game.

14. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Member

That would look so hot!
    Also, I imagine the larger rims would facilitate better cooling.

15. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

The 18" wheels look great. Interestingly, Pirelli has proposed going even larger, to 19 or 20. Guess they're not too concerned about logo size. It would require reworking of suspension, brakes, and even aerodynamics, but in theory it would ultimately result in better handling. Also more commonality with road cars, FWIW. And the glowing discs are REALLY cool.

There was a shot of flames coming from either Hamilton or Rosberg's front brakes at one of the races earlier this year...Matchett explained that at low speeds, there's not enough air cooling so the brake dust catches fire as it comes off the pads. Undesirable for the teams, but super cool.

16. TwoTubMan

TwoTubMan Member

According to a spreadsheet I designed, it's Jean-Éric Vergne's turn to wreck Massa this weekend.

17. Zeegler

Zeegler Member

I'm gonna go with Gutierrez. :)

18. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

:spit

19. andrekp

andrekp Member

I continue to wonder of the ERS system is the Achilles heal of the mercs. All of the problems that they've had have involved the braking system and may in fact be the result of oddness in the rear brakes, where the ERS is connected. Today's failure, while being a front brake, might have just been a cascade from a problem in the rear brakes (weight goes forward when the car brakes, so if the rear were sub-optimal, the front would get more stress...) Remember there HAVE been some stated problems with the ERS that caused brake problems already.

I mean it COULD just be a series of brake problems, but...

20. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Member

Bummer for Lewis, not what I was hoping for and I'm so sick of hearing "it's so difficult to pass here..."

Great to see Williams running a strong 2nd and 3rd in Quali.

ALSO...reset your DVR, the race is broadcast on CNBC (channel 355 on DirecTV) tomorrow morning due to some lame bike race.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.