Fab Amps ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Robert1950, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

Anyone familiar with Fab Amps out of Vancouver B.C.? I'm interested a low watt tube amp and this guy offers about three models that can have 2 to 8 watts depending on tubes and a power cut option. The idea of a 2.5/5 watt for use at home is very appealing.

http://fab.stuff.home.comcast.net/models.htm

2. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Member

Oh boy. Here we go...

3. bob-i

bob-i Member

You'd be amazed at how loud 2 watts really is. I have a Gilmore Jr, that I built then modded. It's 1/2 watt and I still need an attenuator to crank it.

Look at the Gilmore Jr. kit http://www.guytronix.com/pages/1/index.htm amazing sound and easy to build. Compete step by step instructions. If you can solder you can build it.

4. bikerdude2

bikerdude2 Member

and do a search on Fab amps in the amp forum. I have to warn you, it's not pretty..;)

5. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

It's seems like most of the reviews are very positive, but there are some that were "not pretty" as you said.

I did email him and he got back to me the next day. He's got orders up to his eye balls right now and wouldn't be able to take an new one until the new year.

As I don't intend to purchase for another six months, I've got time to look, listen and learn.

6. p.snail

p.snail Supporting Member

How in the heck are these not $1000 or more? Point to point for $500?!? I'm gonna have to look into these a little more. Very cool. I had never heard of these guys before.

7. kannibul

kannibul Member

Double check your insurance before you buy one.

8. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Supporting Member

Hey Bro...
    Don't even think about a Fab amp.
    It's just tooooo far gone to even start to explain. Just trust me and look past it to other amps!!

Keith

9. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

I'm confused... everyone is saying stuff like, "Trust me, just walk away" and not saying why...

10. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

Do you know of any small amp builders aroung Toronto that make low watt amps or retailers for this type of amp? I know of Trinity, but a 15 to 22 watt is not what I am after at this time.

11. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Supporting Member

Well ...
    Rob Fowler's a great guy who'll build whatever you need!!!
    His company is called Classic Amps...

12. guitarboy_02451

guitarboy_02451 Member

Why not go for a DRZ Mini Z ? Or if a Carmen Ghia?

5 - 22 watts of pure tone, well made and sounds awesome.

13. kannibul

kannibul Member

How about features like snap-in-style fuse holders that carry B+ voltage within easy reach outside the chassis...nothing covering them either - and when asked, he said (paraphrase) no one would ever need to put there hands there, and if they do, they deserve to get shocked.

And that's just the beginning....

14. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

$$$$$$$$$$$.

I'm looking for something that is under $800 Cdn shipping tax and customs included. A combo, 5 watts and under. With effects loop TMB controls, Gain. A low watt version of this with a power cut switch would be nice

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=32&cat=18&id=251

15. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Try Martin Newall at Total-Tone in Markham: http://total-tone.com/

16. 8nthatK

8nthatK Supporting Member

Do yourself a favor, and I speak from experience here, stay far away from Fab amps...

17. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

I just read some H-C reviews... All I can say is - let that be a lesson to you! H-C reviewers can't be trusted. People get an amp and then immediately post a rave review in an attempt to make his choice look wise. Funny that the bad reviews I read were mostly people who posted glowing reviews, and then a few months later posted blistering reviews.

18. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

Thanks. I noticed he'll add a Hi Lo switch. If I can find the right amp that will allow a 25% cut in power like some current Fenders then that will be great. No need to buy additional amps. I'd love to do everything locally without having to go to California or Utah or whatever.

I've found two shops to do guitar work where I can talk with the luthiers. Twelth Fret on the Danforth and Capsule Music ion Queen West in Toronto. 12th did a wonderful set up and fret dress on my 1970s Epiphone Riviera.

Now it's time to find a good amp tech. I've already sent an inquiry to Maritn Newell.

19. kannibul

kannibul Member

Actually, it was revealed that "Fab" would throw in "free" things as long as the buyer promised to post a good review.

Stratotone (not sure if he posts here, but he's on Harmony Central) has one - a friend of mine near me. I haven't yet caught up with him to take a look at the "fabortion" - but from what he's told me, I'm sure I'll get a good laugh.

20. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

Wait... what? He'd give you free things if you would post a nice review?