1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

FAB50 (COT50) compared to SHO or SCP

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bluesrules, Jan 21, 2008.

1. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

Well after buying 10 Overdrive pedals in the last 2 years I finally found what I was looking for. A Lovepedal FAB 50, my strat and reissue Bassman never sounded so good. I can't believe this thing only has 1 knob, voiced perfectly IMO, very open and full sounding! First pedal I had that works awesome for both chords and single notes. The strat sizzle I longed for. I hear the (pre-COT50) FAB50 has a little more gain and top end to the COT. I can see also getting the COT50 and have 1 pedal for low-gain and have the other at mid-heavey gain. Not good?

My question is a Zvek Super Hard On and a Catalinbread Super Chili Picoso kinda like a very low gain COT50? Some people describe the SHO and SCP have great clean sizzle and some slight gain. Me like sizzle! Looking for different shades of sizzle.

2. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

Bump for some useful information please.

Am I :horse here or just :NUTS!?

3. erksin

erksin Member

I can't speak to the SHO, but I have a CoT50 Red and IIRC its not at all similar to the SCP - IMNSHO.

Srsly - the SCP only imparts gain at the very end of the boost range, up until then its all clean volume boost. My CoT50 has grit pretty much all the way throughout it's sweep.

4. bluntage

bluntage Member

I was about to post a similar topic!

I'm in need of a "leave it on all the time" boost. I've had a SHO (and wish I hadn't sold it) and found it added not only "sizzle" but a certain "oomph" to my overall sound, both clean and dirty. I have been considering buying another, but am wondering if the COT50 would serve the same purpose?

Will the COT50 give me more "oomph" even on my clean channel without adding too much hair at lower settings?

:confused:

5. amz-fx

amz-fx Supporting Member

I have a FAB50 and a SCP. One difference is in input impedance which gives the FAB a darker sound (some say warmer) and the SCP has more clear top end. The SCP will be clean up until you get it to max gain and it runs out of headroom, i.e. it will have to be cranked to get any grit out of it.

The COT50 is more of a distortion. Different pedal sounding entirely from the SCP, which has plenty of gain, but more to the clean side.

regards, Jack

6. The Gainster

The Gainster Member

I have been using the Fab 50 for years now...I also have a Super Duper...Not the same at all! Two differant effects.

Run a 50 into the Eternity... Yummy...

7. The Gainster

The Gainster Member

The 50 is more like adding amp overdrive...ala Plexi... It cleans up with the guitars volume... leave it on all the time and use the guitar to control the drive...add hair with the volume control...the guitar will control the 50. :)

8. bluntage

bluntage Member

Thanks! That's what I suspected, but I have no way of trying a COT50 without purchase.

:dude