Fabric softner to break in speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by deeval, Mar 23, 2006.

1. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

I was reading in anothe Fourm That using fabric softner on your speaker can break it in sooner.
    Anyone try this and if so what where your results.
    PS
    Iam sure there will be someone saying it softens the tone.:rolleyes:

2. SecretAsianMan

SecretAsianMan Member

Never heard of that. I'd be afraid of using any method besides the tried and true method.

3. HEY!YOU!

HEY!YOU! Senior Member

I think they meant "break" it sooner.
    Don't do it.

4. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

So the stuff sits on the paper cone, and what stops the chemical softener from turning the speaker to mush eventually?

5. JLee

JLee Member

This is a method recommended by Ted Weber of Weber VST Speakers. You put a bit of liquid fabric softener in a spray bottle and LIGHTLY spray it on the paper cone, making sure to get a thin and even coat. Haven't tried it personally, but as I said, it's been recommended by Ted Weber himself.

6. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

This sounds like good recipe for paying for disaster.

7. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Yep, you guys should either buy really BEAT speakers, or actually play thru them . I'm shocked at all the 'breaking in ' speakers stuff I read. Play guitar thru them , it really works well!

Eric

8. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

>>Play guitar thru them , it really works well!<<

+1

9. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I have a new "incredible" story now. Up til now, I marvelled at, years ago but probably still, the rec.guitar.acoustics crowd that devoted just hours and hours to talking about how to "season" or break in their guitars...some sat them up in front of their stereo speakers, letting the sound waves bounce off the wood...then they would get into arguments about whether it mattered if they played the same style music into the idle guitars that they would be playing actually by their owners.

Many tried to point out, that if they spent that time actually playing their guitars they also would certainly hear a difference...as they got to be BETTER guitarists...

I mean, I know that a used guitar, a guitar that is played, does sound better than that same guitar when it was just new, but my god...the quick solution just gets too me sometimes. How about this, if you can "magically" (I'm saying, if Weber really does advise this...but keep in mind Weber SELLS SPEAKERS :) but okay, he's honest, it really does work. So what?) do this, look at what you miss out on. You miss out on actually playing in the speakers...in getting the best tone out of the amp, being happy with it and THEN...as the speakers work in, it GETS EVEN BETTER!!!

But you'll have misssed that little pleasure because you cheated.

I know there is a functional reasoning at least behind this, but it does smack of the the same things...like new black belts in Karate trying to "age" their belts so they would seem like they have been BB for ages, or guys sanding up, chain-whipping, etc. their strats to get the SRV look.

You can do whatever you want of course. I'm just sayin' I'd be embarrased doing these things and I would feel cheated out of working it in myself.

10. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

+1000

11. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

Though the cone has a slight effect on the sound, isn't it the voice coil that needs to be broken in????

12. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for the excellent read. .I'd feel cheated and embarassed too

ERIC

13. el34power

el34power Member

hhhhhhhhhmmmmmm "Country Fresh Drop D":p

14. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

I have two Eminence Big Ben speakers that were "broken in" through this mannner by Nate @ Bumbox amps. He saw it on Weber's site and figured he would try it out with the Big Ben. It made a huge difference in the tone, took some of the brightness out of it, which made it sound better for me. I don't know if I would do it with all kinds of speakers, but it definately worked for my case, you just have to make sure that you don't leave it on for too long, or spray too much. Nate also hooked the speaker up to a machine sending current, so this too has something to do w/ it. Sure I cheated, but oh well. :D

15. pyt

pyt Member

I recently bought some Weber speakers. One was kinda buzzy but it didn't sound like it was really broken. The dude's at Weber said to try Downey in a spray bottle. I did it and it works. No disaster. No chain reaction that lead to a mushy speaker cone. Just good tone now.

The downey has "fiber relaxers" in it. I'm guessing this what helped out my stiff, buzzy cone.

16. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

I like to play as much as I can, but I still don't have time to "break in speakers"

any kind or variac and or stereo playing through them I can do is good IMHO - then I can spend my time playing hearing good tone, rather than 10s of hours hearing a new speaker.

just my 2c

BTW I believe much of what happens during break in is a loosening of the surround and spider and in some cases addtional flexibility of the cone

This lowers the resonance of the driver and may soften the highs

17. OOG

OOG Member

ok
    so next time i get a new pair of jeans
    i'll hang them in front of my cranked stereo for a few days

18. Slygo

Slygo Member

Another method (I verified this with Ted) is to run one of the old toy train or slot car transformers through the speakers to break them in - as long as it is AC and not DC.

The old trains were all AC, but the HO and other smaller gauge train sets are DC as far as I know. I have never tried this myself, but I would bet it makes one hell of a racket (60 cycle hum).

19. Dirge

Dirge Member

I've done it to reduce the brightness of a speaker and it worked a little bit. It also smelled nice for a couple of weeks :)

I wouldn't call that breaking the speaker in though.

20. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, but make sure you spritz them with fabric softener first ;)