Faceless FX, any fans?

DonaldDemon

One of my favorite pedals on my board is my Faceless FX custom treble booster, basically a clone of the Red Rooster/Rangemaster with volume, gain, and range controls. I've owned a few treble boosters and still have the Naga Viper, Montgomery VFOD, and HBE Ge44, but the Faceless FX is still my first and favorite. It's just fat and warm sounding without losing too much low mids like some TB circuits do. I love kicking that thing on and making my amp go into doomy melt down!

Here is is w/o knobs and a gut shot, using GE NPN, I believe OC71

I've heard good things about his Marquis Fuzz and Jasmine Boosts but haven't had a chance to try them yet. I have another empty enclosure that I may eventually have him build another fuzz of some sort when money allows. Anyway, I dig his stuff and he does great custom work, would love to hear from other users especially about the Marquis Fuzz.

This is his site for those interested: http://facelessfx.com/

blindeddy

I love the tone of my Marquis Mk1! Open and raw with a bit unpredictable but imo oddly musical grainy decay. That said, I have a hard time getting along with the gating on it and I sometimes wish I could make it a little less gated. Although I suspect that gating might go hand in hand with some of the tone I dig.... at least the grainy decay. Dunno. Its my first and only mk1 so i've got nothing to compare it to :).

DonaldDemon

I love the tone of my Marquis Mk1! Open and raw with a bit unpredictable but imo oddly musical grainy decay. That said, I have a hard time getting along with the gating on it and I sometimes wish I could make it a little less gated. Although I suspect that gating might go hand in hand with some of the tone I dig.... at least the grainy decay. Dunno. Its my first and only mk1 so i've got nothing to compare it to :).
I admit I don't know much about mk1 or mk2 pedals and have only tried a few myself. Have you thought about sending it to faceless to modify the gating?

tubekingsley

I admit I don't know much about mk1 or mk2 pedals and have only tried a few myself. Have you thought about sending it to faceless to modify the gating?
The Marquis isnt heavily gated, in the traditional sense. It has external "soar" knobs to set the bias for the transistors in Q2 and Q3- so you can, to certain extent, control the gate. It's one of very best MKl's available, I only like DAM and Pigdog Mkl better, but that's pretty much just splitting hairs, cause the Faceless is just a little different flavor. I've never played a Castledine MKl, Skinpimp, or Jimmy Behan Super Electric- all three are highly touted by fuzz conosuirs I know. Marquis loves wah/cocked wah, and stacks really well. I own a custom etched, OC81 Marquis

Last edited:

blindeddy

The thought has crossed my mind... but I never rallied to send Faceless an email on it.

The Marquis isnt heavily gated, in the traditional sense. It has external "soar" knobs to set the bias for the transistors in Q2 and Q3- so you can, to certain extent, control the gate. It's one of very best MKl's available, I only like DAM and Pigdog Mkl better, but that's pretty much just splitting hairs, cause the Faceless is just a little different flavor. I've never played a Castledine MKl, Skinpimp, or Jimmy Behan Super Electric- all three are highly touted by fuzz conosuirs I know. Marquis loves wah/cocked wah, and stacks really well. I own a custom etched, OC81 Marquis
Thats good to hear, thanks for the input. I tend to be a little light handed so maybe its more a case of me adjusting to the pedal :). Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but have you by chance tried the Acid Fuzz mk1 and if so could you compare to the Marquis?

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
@blindeddy :

maybe take a clear pic of one of your favorite Marquis settings & post it, and say which guitar/pickups you're playing into the Marquis?
i might be able to offer some pointers on how to get a bit of control over the gating, maybe.

blindeddy

@blindeddy :

maybe take a clear pic of one of your favorite Marquis settings & post it, and say which guitar/pickups you're playing into the Marquis?
i might be able to offer some pointers on how to get a bit of control over the gating, maybe.
Great clips Splatt! I don't have a pic for you but it's easy to explain. I usually have both the "soar" and "sore" dimed. Mostly this is because it seems to me that this setting has the least gating.

Phineas Ball

Fuzz
Gold Supporting Member
Love my Marquis - one of my top three favorite fuzzes. Take a Mk1 and add a super crispy layer to its central chewiness, and voila.

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
Great clips Splatt! I don't have a pic for you but it's easy to explain. I usually have both the "soar" and "sore" dimed. Mostly this is because it seems to me that this setting has the least gating.
the guitar and pickups are..... which ones?
and, are you generally playing the Marquis w/the guitar's volume- and tone-controls turned down?
and, is it the very first pedal following the guitar?

blindeddy

the guitar and pickups are..... which ones?
and, are you generally playing the Marquis w/the guitar's volume- and tone-controls turned down?
and, is it the very first pedal following the guitar?
Sorry man, my response painted a rather dim picture. Mostly I'm playing a Grosh retro classic tele with Fralins. It has a split humbucker in the neck position and a single in the bridge. With the Marquis I'm playing with the volume full up on the guitar and generally the tone rolled back just a bit. Its second in line pedal-wise and sits after a chase tone gypsy wah.

Trending Topics