Faceplate Warping (Mojotone Plastic Fender Style) -Anyone Seen This?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hardys, Apr 8, 2015.

1. hardys

hardys Member

I recently purchased a used, pristine 4 month old, Fender clone made by a highly respected boutique amp builder. I don't want bring any bad PR to him, so I'm reluctant to divulge his name.

When the amp is cool, the control panel lays flat against the chassis. However, when the tubes heat up, the panel bows out away from the chassis. I looked closely on Mojotone's website and it appears this is one of their acrylic panels that can be custom engraved.

The area circled in red below is where the bowing occurs. Has anyone seen this before? If so, what is the fix, if any? Thanks for any help in advance.

[​IMG]

BTW...I posted this in the amp tech forum as well. Hope I'm not breaking any rules.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  2. reaiken

reaiken Member

Go to an arts and crafts store, or maybe a Lowe's or Home Depot, and get a roll of the thin, transparent pink double-sided tape, cut a piece to size and stick it to a thin blade, like an X-Acto knife, and slide it down between the plastic panel and the chassis, and push the panel tight. It will fix the problem.

3. NewDr.P

NewDr.P Member

ive had a pickguard on a tele copy do that once, it was horrifying. i pulled up at a meeting place to sell it (craigslist xaction) and the guitar looked like itd melted...

guy said he didnt care and had seen it happen before and that itd be fine once it cooled off a little bit.