Facing Truth~When new pedals don't sound as good as what U already use!!

M

Member 995

That's why I'm in the 'try before I buy' camp. Too many flavor-of-the-week pedals either sound negligibly different or worse than things I've owned.

southpaw pete

That's why I'm in the 'try before I buy' camp. Too many flavor-of-the-week pedals either sound negligibly different or worse than things I've owned.
The hard part with many of the "boutique" companies is that one can't just go to the store and try them out. But, thankfully, many of them also retain a decent resale/trade value. Even with pedals available at local stores, it is hard to fully know how a pedal will sound until you use it in your own setup. I like buying from a store with a decent return policy so I can try it out and return it if it's not what I'm looking for.

After many years of buying/selling/trading I am quite happy with my sound and many of the pedals I've bought recently, while good and deserving the comments they receive on here, didn't sound any better than what I'm currently using as well. Interestingly, I often find myself just trying to dial them in to sound like what I'm already getting with my other pedals.

Ed Alvarado

That's cool if you have the opportunity but it's still hard to tell how the pedal will sit in the mix live. I have bought pedals that sound killer but disappear when playing with a band.

Heady Jam Fan

^^ 2x agreed, can't remember the last time I tried before buying.

But today was a good NPD: Tim and Lunar Module!

M

Member 995

The hard part with many of the "boutique" companies is that one can't just go to the store and try them out.
I'm spoiled since a lot of pedals are available to try in L.A. If they aren't, I just don't bother.

I have bought pedals that sound killer but disappear when playing with a band.
A fair point. Of course, if it sounds killer then I can probably find a use for it.

Improbable Joe

Double Platinum Member
Maybe it would help if people bought pedals because they actually need them, rather than because they're addicted to the hunt. I know it would help me... :bonk

Don't get me wrong here. I'm not criticizing people who collect pedals as a hobby separate but parallel to playing guitar. How you spend your money is your business and none of mine, and if it makes you happy to spend thousands of dollars every year on pedals then more power to you. I just feel sorry for the people who are just constantly unable to be satisfied with their tone and are chasing after some sort of impossible perfection. Those folks are probably pretty unhappy, and probably can't even tell when a new pedal is doing the same thing as the old one, give or take some tiny bit. Some people seem to be happy for a week or three during the honeymoon phase, and then start looking for yet another pedal.

DGTCrazy

Mod Squad
Staff member
The BEST pedal ever is my next one.............................well....maybe the one after that....LOL

voorhiessa

I think I may have finally settled down with dirt GAS via my DM4. Every time I think of a particular tone, I'm able to dial it in fairly quickly. Today was low-gain Rat day! Sometimes I think getting a new pedal just inspires us to play with a little excitement (that has worn down) and therefore, sound better. This creates the illusion that the pedal is doing all the magic. Just a thought!

Part of the disease is the love of seeing "Notifications" on the upper right! Gets the heart pumpin'!!

Blues Lyne

This is where I've been living for the last year or so. I'm content with what I have and they provide the tones I need for the music I'm playing. I try some pedals that I borrow from friends. Most sound good, but not better than what I have. Sometimes other pedals sound amazing and get tones that I can't get with mine, but they are just different tones, not better. There are endless variations of medium gain, low gain, mid humped, flat, etc dirt pedals. Most all are very usable and can be dialed in for great tones. But, I buy pedals to fit what I need, so at some point I just have to pick a tone and go with it. For instance I just tried out a friends Alpha Drive for a couple of weeks. Great pedal, awesome feel and tones, different than the tones I get with my pedals, but what I have works for me as good or better. I really had no urge to buy one. If I didn't have something already that fit that need, I'd have jumped on it.

niclake13

The amusing part is, no one else will ever hear the difference. It's just us gear nerds that know and care. Everyone else is just like "ooo, loud guitars".

Improbable Joe

Double Platinum Member
You have a good point Improbable Joe. But there is one tone I just can't get live.
Yeah, maybe... but is that going to destroy your enjoyment and lead you on a decades-long search for tone that will end up costing you tens of thousands of dollars and eventually every close relationship you ever have? Or can you just crank it up to 11 and move on? That is the question... :)

Ed Alvarado

Yeah, maybe... but is that going to destroy your enjoyment and lead you on a decades-long search for tone that will end up costing you tens of thousands of dollars and eventually every close relationship you ever have? Or can you just crank it up to 11 and move on? That is the question... :)
Very true and thankfully I'm at the end of that trip!

LSchefman

>>Yeah, maybe... but is that going to destroy your enjoyment and lead you on a decades-long search for tone that will end up costing you tens of thousands of dollars and eventually every close relationship you ever have? <<

Ha! It's the decades-long search for tone that will end up costing tens of thousands of dollars that's half the fun!

My quest (if I may be so bold) hasn't destroyed a single relationship. I do that other ways. ;)

Trending Topics