Factory installed vs aftermarket pickup

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by crumjack, Jan 13, 2018 at 1:32 PM.

1. crumjack

crumjack Member

I’m thinking of spending some of my annual bonus on a Martin. D, 000, 18, 28, OM I’m not sure at this time but I’ll want a pickup for open mics and songwriter showcases.

What are the pros and cons of getting something installed by Martin vs adding it after purchase?

2. Billy Moss

Billy Moss Member

I like the LR Baggs Anthem.

Martin, Gibson, Breedlove and others like the Baggs so much they offer some of their guitars with it installed.

What's good about the Baggs is the sound of course, but if they ever update and improve it you can remove the one in your guitar and install the new one with out any or much modification to your guitar.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018 at 8:40 PM
  3. feet

feet Supporting Member

pros- you get a pickup system
    cons- you don't. but you could pick whatever you want when you're ready. you just have to pay for it, and possibly for the installation, as well.

i'm not sure what they use, but it isn't always "the best" system, or what you'd have chosen, what's best for your needs or even what suits the guitar best. you get what they give you. but at least it is included in the price, and probably installed correctly. buy maybe several years down the line, you don't like it, and maybe it influences the (perceived) resale value in someone's mind later if you want to sell it. some people want all the original stuff, some people are freaked out by barn doors or usts or feel pickups adulterate the guitar in a negative way. never know.

the only factory system i've had installed is the lr baggs element, which took a very long time to come to terms with, but i think i finally did. would still change it if i thought i could improve upon it, but i'm at the point where i could let it ride, i guess. but that's another risk, too- you may just flat out hate the pickup they gave you, as i did. or things may change down the line and you may one day wish you had the cool new thing in there instead of now "dated" technology.

if you are going to marry the pickup system as well, do your homework on it and see how it suits your intended use. try it out first, if you can. decide based on experience, and not speculation.

4. 71strat

71strat Member

Only pickup I would want is the Trance Audio Acoustic Lens:drool:drool:drool :bitch:bitch:bitch:fisticuffs:fisticuffs.:argue:love::love::love::love::bitch:bitch:bitch:fisticuffs

Id get the guitar with no pickup, and have the Trance Audio put in.:waiting:waiting:waiting:love::love::love::love::hide2:hide2

They also habe the Amulet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] NEW! Amulet M Phantom™ The Phantom-Powered version of the Amulet M Systems

[​IMG] Amulet M ™ The Dual Mono System for Guitar

[​IMG] Amulet ™ The True Stereo System for Guitar

[​IMG] Acoustic Lens ™ Simply the world's finest contact pickup, and the heart of the Amulet and Amulet M Systems - this is the transducer other manufacturers aspire to duplicate!

[​IMG] Product Manuals Our operation manuals contain a wealth of valuable information and are available in PDF format for you to download.

[​IMG] Price List

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 10:35 PM
    GGinMP likes this.
  5. royd

royd Member

Every pickup system is a series of compromises. If you choose an aftermarket system, you get to decide which compromises you make and which fit your situation best. If you purchase a guitar with a pickup already installed, the manufacturer makes the decision. Their criteria for what is best may be very different than yours. Theirs will almost certainly include questions regarding their bottom line. So... if the system they install is the one you would choose... then it makes sense to have them install it. If it is not, then purchase an aftermarket rig and either install it yourself or pay someone to do so

6. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Member

Depends on the Martin you're buying. The new "Retro" series have a VERY capable Fishman Aura F1+ system designed specifically for Martin, really good. If you're wanting a cutaway, you'll get a pickup and preamp nearly all the time. There are many fine systems, pickups, preamps on the market. A lot depends on what you NEED ... acoustic fidelity, gain before feedback, modeling, parametric EQ .. etc, etc. Most players don't know what they need/want/like until they experience something they didn't need/want/like. And I pretty much ignore anyone who claims their pickup/preamp is "the best".

7. crumjack

crumjack Member

Thanks for the feedback. I know they have a 000-18 retro fitted with a Fishman Aura series pickup that is proprietary to Martin so I will plug that in. But I’ll checkout some of the Baggs offerings.

I’m currently on Taylor with the ES2 system which works fine for the most part. I can get some feedback with a capo but I’ve learned where to stand on that stage to avoid it. If I can find something that behaves like it minus the feedback I’ll be happy.

8. GGinMP

GGinMP Supporting Member

I love the Amulet Mv. It sounds super close to "my acoustic, but amplified." That being said, it may not be the best in a loud band situation.

9. 71strat

71strat Member

It probably comes down to the PA. There are bands/players I would consider to be in loud bands that use/have used these, but you do need a good PA for the most benefit, but I think if 1 can do that, the Acoustic Lens is 1 nice sounding pickup.

James Hetfield/Metallica

Brad Whitford/Aerosmith

Ronnie Montrose