• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

“Factory sealed and we won’t open it”

Magnets And Melodies

Silver Supporting Member
Depends on the retailer but generally larger chains will ship it to you without ever opening it up.

With shops like CME, Wildwood, Eddie's etc.. you generally get a chance to see the actual guitar, get some measurements or specs like weight etc, and maybe a good tonal description from the sales rep you're working with.

Here in Canada we have the dreaded Long & McQuade chains. They have stock in stores but also online stock. If you're buying online stock, it doesn't matter if it's a $5000+ guitar, they aren't opening it and won't show you a picture of it. I know, I've asked before, and they laughed and said "oh if we did that for everybody we'd never get anything done" etc.

I get it.. but friends don't let friends buy $5K guitars from chains unseen. Buy from a shop that wants you to be happy with your purchase.

Brian N

Lazy maybe? I get if it's a big chain...like if you called MF and asked that, I doubt the sales rep is even in the same state as the guitar. But a small shop selling online, cmon, they cant even be bothered to take the thing out of the box to look at it? What the heck even is "factory sealed" for a guitar? They don't exactly shrink wrap them, they're in a box closed with generic packing tape. You just want it weighed, it's not like you wanted them to take the cling film off the pickguard.

Jayyj

Silver Supporting Member
I think the problem here is we've also seen multiple TGP threads where people have been incensed that they ordered a new guitar and got one where the box wasn't factory sealed so shouldn't be regarded as new. Remember the multi page thread the other week about someone who was really upset someone in the shop played his guitar before he did? If you don't buy this guitar because the weight is more than you were looking for then the next guy who asks about it kicks off with 'so it is factory sealed, right?' they're in a predicament.

It pushes dealers into a position where they can't please everyone - open the box and you piss off the people who wanted it sealed, keep it sealed and you piss off the guy who wanted to know the weight or see the figure/grain in the wood.

Fortunately in the UK the sealed in box crowd is a fairly small one so the dealer I work for takes everything out, tweaks the set up as needed and photographs it - that makes more sense to me in terms of what I'd prefer as a customer and it seems to work fine.

Maguchi

Asked a dealer on reverb for the weight of a guitar, and they told me it’s factory sealed and they don’t open them. Wtf??? Is. This. A. Thing?
I always ask the same thing. If they say they won't open it, tell them you won't open your wallet. Guitars may be slightly scarce right now, but if weight is important to you, you are the customer, so you call the shots. There's plenty of dealers, some as far away as Germany or Italy that have responded to me with weights of guitars. Hang in there and be patient, you'll find something to your liking.

Last edited:

Maguchi

Lazy maybe? I get if it's a big chain...like if you called MF and asked that, I doubt the sales rep is even in the same state as the guitar. But a small shop selling online, cmon, they cant even be bothered to take the thing out of the box to look at it? What the heck even is "factory sealed" for a guitar? They don't exactly shrink wrap them, they're in a box closed with generic packing tape. You just want it weighed, it's not like you wanted them to take the cling film off the pickguard.
I've asked MF and they wouldn't do it. However Sweetwater lists the weights and I ask them to double check because the listed weights, at least on the lighter ones I've asked about, were only about 70% accurate. After buying and keeping a dozen guitars and returning two in a year, they will reluctantly weigh them again for me with some prodding. I guess after a dozen guitars my sales rep knows they are going to make money off me if they keep me happy.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom