1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

    Dismiss Notice

Facts about electrical shocks.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by teleamp, Oct 24, 2008.

  1. teleamp

    teleamp Senior Member

    Aug 22, 2006
    Central Texas
    In countless threads I have seen questions asked in one form or another about the consequences of electrical shock.

    The amount or seriousness of an injury due to electrical shock depend on:
    The path of current flow through the body.
    The duration of the shock.
    Amount of current the body draws.

    Death can occur with as little as .015 A!!!! (A 60 watt light bulb draws .5 A at 120 volts)

    Injuries can range from burns, jerk reaction injuries, falls, to ventricular fibrillation.

    First Sensation: (DC) 0.6 to 1.0 mA (AC) 0.003 to 0.4 mA
    Perception: (DC) 3.5 to 5 mA (AC) 0.5 to 1.1 mA
    Pain: (DC) 40 to 60 mA (AC) 6 to 9 mA
    Tetanus ("latched on"): (DC) 50 to 75 mA (AC)10 to 25 mA
    Ventricular Fibrillation: (DC) >500* mA (AC) >100* m

    *if sustained for longer than 3 seconds.

    I advise anyone wanting to learn how to service their own amps, build amps, or do mods to take a basic electricity class (in addition to doing some amp specific research), it's fun and you'll learn a lot.

    The bottom line is that electricity has no prejudice and anybody can get shocked if they are not taking the proper precautions. Learn electrical safety and practice good work behaviors.

    Electricity is to be respected, any shock should be unacceptable (by this I mean, if you get shocked, review what happened that caused you to get shocked and adjust your work behavior accordingly). Know what you are doing.
  2. gixxerrock

    gixxerrock Member

    Apr 25, 2005
    Parksville, B.C.
    When around the big stuff and unsure, keep one hand (or preferably both) in your pocket. An old EE used to tell me to hang on to my d*** with both hands when in his lab.

    I am curious and very tactile driven. I have gotten some nasty jolts from not thinking. Stupid stuff...
  3. Roccaforte Amps

    Roccaforte Amps Member

    May 23, 2002

    250ma can kill you.
  4. NFB

    NFB Senior Member

    Mar 29, 2007
    Ahhh.......nothing like strong coffee and I am not talking Dunkin Donuts for all the whimpy folks, I am talking nice black ground espresso, solder fumes and a touch of 450 volts from a plate resistor :eek: ........ early in the morning.

    Folks try everything at home other than too many solder fumes and that 450 volt jolt.......

    Rock on!:RoCkIn
  5. Blue Fin

    Blue Fin Member

    Oct 3, 2007
    Cherry Hill NJ
    Electric shocks are no fun!!

Share This Page