Facts about electrical shocks.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by teleamp, Oct 24, 2008.

1. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

In countless threads I have seen questions asked in one form or another about the consequences of electrical shock.

The amount or seriousness of an injury due to electrical shock depend on:
    The path of current flow through the body.
    The duration of the shock.
    Amount of current the body draws.

Death can occur with as little as .015 A!!!! (A 60 watt light bulb draws .5 A at 120 volts)

Injuries can range from burns, jerk reaction injuries, falls, to ventricular fibrillation.

First Sensation: (DC) 0.6 to 1.0 mA (AC) 0.003 to 0.4 mA
    Perception: (DC) 3.5 to 5 mA (AC) 0.5 to 1.1 mA
    Pain: (DC) 40 to 60 mA (AC) 6 to 9 mA
    Tetanus ("latched on"): (DC) 50 to 75 mA (AC)10 to 25 mA
    Ventricular Fibrillation: (DC) >500* mA (AC) >100* m

*if sustained for longer than 3 seconds.

I advise anyone wanting to learn how to service their own amps, build amps, or do mods to take a basic electricity class (in addition to doing some amp specific research), it's fun and you'll learn a lot.

The bottom line is that electricity has no prejudice and anybody can get shocked if they are not taking the proper precautions. Learn electrical safety and practice good work behaviors.

Electricity is to be respected, any shock should be unacceptable (by this I mean, if you get shocked, review what happened that caused you to get shocked and adjust your work behavior accordingly). Know what you are doing.

2. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

When around the big stuff and unsure, keep one hand (or preferably both) in your pocket. An old EE used to tell me to hang on to my d*** with both hands when in his lab.

I am curious and very tactile driven. I have gotten some nasty jolts from not thinking. Stupid stuff...

3. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

250ma can kill you.

4. NFB

NFB Senior Member

Ahhh.......nothing like strong coffee and I am not talking Dunkin Donuts for all the whimpy folks, I am talking nice black ground espresso, solder fumes and a touch of 450 volts from a plate resistor :eek: ........ early in the morning.

Folks try everything at home other than too many solder fumes and that 450 volt jolt.......

Rock on!:RoCkIn

5. Blue Fin

Blue Fin Member

Electric shocks are no fun!!