Faded Finishes

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Chicago Slim, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

How do you guys maintain your faded finishes?

So far, I've been using Old English Red Oil. The neck is wearing very nicely. Will it age evenly? Should I try to sand or polish with a 600 grit paper? Has anyone tried a satin urethane, to protect the finish?

[​IMG]

2. magicaxeman

magicaxeman Member

I've always thought the idea of a faded finish was so that the guitar aged faster.
    I've just pulled the trigger on a les paul 60's tribute in worn goldtop.. so wont be doing a thing to it apart from a dry cloth over it now and again to get rid of any dust, if the finish starts to wear I'll just let it..

3. shane88

shane88 Member

+1 the faded finish is supposed to keep fading - the idea of protecting it is contradictory

if it was mine i'd leave it alone

4. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

It's 10 years old, and wearing nicely. Except that there is no wear under the strings, and a wear spot under the strings. If it had a pickguard, I wouldn't have a problem. I would at least like to even it out.

5. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

A gibson Faded Finish is different from a Fender Faded Finish. The gibson ones are done to keep the price low but the fender ones are made to look like it yellowed and faded like an old guitar.