• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Faded/Worn Gibsons

benjammin420

Im planning my next guitar buy, definatly leaning towards gibsons, most likely used to keep costs down. Ive played SG specials and LP DC with the faded/worn finish, and didnt like the way the neck felt (too rough) but wonder if they smooth out from being broken in, or if theyre just that raw. besides the finish they seem like great guitars for the $$

Austinrocks

no they stay rough and cut up your hand when you try to play them,

yes the paint on the neck wears down to to a smooth neck, I don't polish guitars so my finish still rough on body, where I play on the neck has been smoothed out. Really prefer this over the nitro or laquered necks. guitar looks very cool after a while.

benjammin420

no they stay rough and cut up your hand when you try to play them,

yes the paint on the neck wears down to to a smooth neck, I don't polish guitars so my finish still rought on body, has been smoothed out.

sorry, is that a yes or a no in regards to the neck smoothing out over time/use?

afterburner

Silver Supporting Member
I have a faded LP and it's smooth from the get-go. I did polish it up a little though and it helps. You can really do some extensive buffing if you wish to get it really smooth.

benjammin420

Is it the faded LP standard? im not familiar with them (though id like to try one!), but the SGs and Lp specials ive played were too rough/uncomfortable. Im not against putting in work to get it to my liking, would you say its worth it for these guitars (as opposed to spending more on something this already what id like)? Ive heard i could get a used one thats already 'broken in' but maybe thats hearsay

AL30

I just picked up a LP Special (hasn't arrived yet). I was looking at the faded models but something about them had me worried. The unbound looks to me like it could be a problem area. I had a bad experience with LP Studio in the late '80's and these just remind me of them for some reason.

I ended up with a 1990 single cut. For a little more $$$ I feel I got a better guitar. Better finish, bound neck and a hard shell case. If it's anything like my 1990 LP Custom I should have a winner.

AL

eronson

Never noticed the roughness your talking about but have noticed the frets hanging over the edge of the fret board. That can get annoying.

Gibson 1964

im not trying to start something with you, you made contradicting statements, im just trying to get some info
The first bit he said was sarcasm it appears to me. Sarcasm does not always translate well over the internet.

Personally, just my experience with the faded series, YMMV, the finish smooths and wears down nicely. The bigger concern I would have is that some of the lower end models could use a little fret dressing after a few years because I live in a dry climate and the thin finish allows the wood to shrink a little faster. Any guitar will do this as the wood dries out, but with the faded finish, I have seen some that seem to need it faster. Its basically a 1 time thing though.

Gibson 1964

So, would you say other than the cosmetics, the quality is on par with a standard model?
I'd say I personally have seen a little more QC issues in SOME (definitely not all) of the fadeds, but interestingly, all the substandard ones I saw were in GC. So it may have been abuse.

Personally, I am a fan of old low end gibsons. However I have seen some damn fine faded LP's that have made it onto my bench for a setup. (and I along with most others am of the opinion that every guitar needs a setup as time goes by)

Now my LP standard, (which I sold, I am uncomfortable with pretty guitars, they make me nervous to ding them, personal neurosis) set a pretty high bar. It had burstbuckers which are lightyears better than the 490 498 set that comes in studios. Not knowing your exact model and pickup set that this guitar is using, that could be a difference, but I have seen some well played fadeds that could give pretty much anything on the market a run for the money in playability.

I am of the opinion that pickups need to be voiced based on an individual guitar, so YMMV with the stock ones.

echale3

The Faded Gibsons I own always got treated to a good rubdown with 0000 steel wool right after they got home.... That slicked them right up...

My personal preference is for the woody feel of the neck with barely any finish on it--that's why I like the Faded series so much. Other than binding and 40-11 coats of nitro, there's really not a whole hell of a lot of difference between the standard models and the faded ones.

The only one that has any real difference are the Faded SG, which has a pair of 490s in them rather than the 490R/498T that come in the standard ones.

The real gem of the bunch, IMO, is the Vintage Mahogany Les Paul Studio. While not advertised as a Faded LP (there is a Faded LP Studio which is just a LP Studio with the faded finish on it), they have the same ultra-thin finish as the rest of the Faded guitars, and have full mahogany (no maple cap) bodies with Burstbucker Pro pickups.

benjammin420

I was thinking of picking up a used one and swapping out the pickups anyways, I just wanted to get an idea from players with experience if theyre worth investing money into

shane8

Never noticed the roughness your talking about but have noticed the frets hanging over the edge of the fret board. That can get annoying.
it's annoying when u pay twice as much for a gibbo and it has worse frets than an epi..... this is my biggest issue with them as i quite like the finish or lack of :YinYang

Trending Topics