Failure - Fantastic Planet

Braunzo

One of my all-time favorite albums. Criminally underrated band. Them and HUM were just amazing 90's bands that should have been a lot bigger than what they were. And I guess now they are. They're both making bit of a comeback.

tabb74

Get this, I had Fantastic Planet when it first came out, I became obsessed with it after stumbling onto it by accident at a Tower listening bar. I heard zero about Failure in any publications, except a tiny blurb in one of the guitar mags where they mentioned some of the gear used on the album. They always remained this mysterious thing to me, occasionally I would hear another musician talk about their love for this album. It has always been my yardstick for huge, massive, distorted guitar tones (that and Kyuss).

About twenty years later I got to see them reunited on my 40th birthday and they played a majority of this album. Best birthday present ever! A year after that they went on tour again for the new album with Troy Van Leeuwen and I got to see that as well, but that first time with just the three of them sounded MASSIVE. They are phenomenal live and blew away any expectations.

Last edited:

bobbyatomic

Never heard of these before, trying to find this on CD for a reasonable price is harder than I expected.

9fingers

Silver Supporting Member
Fabulous album! Great songs, really well arranged and killer SOUND!
Fantastic Planet is the whole package.

Polvo

Silver Supporting Member

This was also decent IMO.

and along the same lines, this as well...

Saw shiner last April, but saw em a 100 times back in the day. I like the 2nd album the most. Life and times is pretty good, I used to play in a band with their bassist. Giants chair was my favorite KC band though super tight great guitar tones and only a three piece.

Bradmeister

Yep, amazing band. I didn't know about them back in the day, but found them a few years ago. I've seen them several times now while reformed. It's amazing what they can do as a trio with very little backing tracks. They only used a few for re-creating this album live on the recent tour. (The other two times, they played everything.)

headpond

Best album ever, seriously. It has a sonic landscape thats borderline perfection.

Beautifully dark. Shows what can come out of a dismal period of ones life.

gem

Cool I have been made aware of this great album on this site before. Thanks for posting.

I would strongly suggest people into it check out Papa Vegas "Hello Vertigo" an album dark and thick with killer guitars yet really fresh and pop sounding with great vocals and simple, powerful songs. Probably a top contender for most underrated album evar.

headpond

So why wasn't this song left on the album? The solo is just so damn good, right up there with dirty blue balloons.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom