Fair price for a blackface super reverb?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Phishy4, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Phishy4

Phishy4 Member

How much would you guys expect to pay for a '65 super reverb that was all original in pretty good shape?

2. Ron Thorn

Ron Thorn Gold Supporting Member

3. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

Yup.

You'll still see some listed at $2k and over, but they're just not fecthing that as far as I can see. Even clean ones. Some sellers still hold out though.

4. azwhofan

azwhofan Supporting Member

5. Cpt. Picard

Cpt. Picard Member

6. Phishy4

Phishy4 Member

The one i'm looking at is $1500, I'm still up in the air on it. There's a bandmaster much cheaper that I could convert into a combo, but I think there are some pitfalls with that too.

7. Travst

Travst Supporting Member

A couple of things to think about are caps and tubes. If those items need to be taken care of, you can run into some extra money. If it's original and you like the tone, I'd say it's worth it.

8. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

$1500 isn't bad, but offering $1400 might not hurt either depending on the things Travst mentioned.

If you're looking at a BF Bandmaster, those are cool and I have a '66 in a 1x15 combo which I really like. But any of that is totally different than a Super.

9. opdev

opdev Member

There was a local one exactly as you describe that just sold here locally for $1400.

10. Travst

Travst Supporting Member

I paid less for mine, but it had been professionally re-tolexed and had reissue Jensens, so it wasn't original. I also had to re-cap it myself. However, it came with NOS tubes throughout.

11. Cpt. Picard

Cpt. Picard Member

A bandmaster is gonna run less than half the cost of a super, age/condition/mods/all else being equal.

My neck of the woods/experience anyway...

12. ba614

ba614 Member

I paid $1500 for mine. It's a '66 with reissue Jensen speakers also new tubes. (not NOS) Overall in good condition and it sounds good. It didn't have the footswitch. I bought it in Nashville 5 or 6 months ago. Maybe not what would be called a good deal but I've got a Blackface Super Reverb and that's cool to me.

13. krisharmony

krisharmony Supporting Member

Nashville is an unbelievably expensive gear town. I lived there for a year and a half and never really felt compelled to buy anything at their prices. Craigslist is alright there though.