Fair price for a Vox silver alnico that needs recone

jdandry

I have a buddy that is selling a 70' Vox silver alnico speaker but it need a recone. He had 2 and he gave me one for free, so I got it reconed by A Brown Sound with a hemp cone. It was very expensive ($200 for the recone) but sounds fantastic!! My question is what would be a fair price to offer him for the 2nd speaker (not free this time!) and what other good options for recone are around? I either want it as close to an original cone (vox Blue kit?) or I guess I could save up a little and do the hemp recone again. What do you guys think? Thanks- John

SkipTracer

If it's completely shot and really in need of a recone, I wouldn't pay more than, say $100. The recone and shipping will run you maybe another 100, so you'll be in the ballpark of a new speaker. (Which is essentially what you'll have after the recone.)

Aside A Brown Soun (who never responded to my emails btw) Ted Weber is good option. He'll do the pre-rola treatment in order to age the speaker and to get it as close to the vintage ones as possible. I asked him about all this, and his prices are great. The only reason I didn't send him my '67 silver was the shipping costs. (I'm in Germany.)

What I did instead was to have my speaker reconed over here, with a regular Celestion kit and no special treatment whatsoever. To my suprise, it sounded very good right out of the box. I was also pretty sure that it would sound more like a Blue now, but it doesn't.

Scumback Speakers

Platinum Supporting Member
As Skip Tracer has said, $100 is all I'd pay for it, considering it needs a recone. I'd also recommend the Weber recone. The real Cele Blue kits are a whopping $200 from an authorized Celestion reconer.

Scumback Speakers

Seriously...check this recone page at OCSR. Whoops, I was wrong. It's $175.00 but after you ship it there and back it will be over $200. Nuts, huh?

http://www.speakerrepair.com/ocsrepairprice.html

Their aftermarket kit, using a 1777 cone, American made voice coil, and including their labor is $75. I've used their kits in the past and they're pretty decent. They don't sound like 60's cones, though, so there will be a tone change.

dbeeman

I will add a dissenting opinion. I say 25 to 50 bucks max. The frame and mag structure are nothing special. You can get a new Bluefor the cost of the frame and a celestion recone, and very close to that if you have weber recone it. Either way you still have a new cone and suspension - the main parts the break in and give the "vintage" sound

**** I will go put my nomex suit on now ****

SkipTracer

Seriously...check this recone page at OCSR. Whoops, I was wrong. It's $175.00 but after you ship it there and back it will be over $200. Nuts, huh?

Weird, in the UK the Celestion Blue recone kit is a lot less expensive. I checked lean-business.co.uk . They're selling it for 37 pounds.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom