• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Fair price for a Vox silver alnico that needs recone

jdandry

I have a buddy that is selling a 70' Vox silver alnico speaker but it need a recone. He had 2 and he gave me one for free, so I got it reconed by A Brown Sound with a hemp cone. It was very expensive ($200 for the recone) but sounds fantastic!! My question is what would be a fair price to offer him for the 2nd speaker (not free this time!) and what other good options for recone are around? I either want it as close to an original cone (vox Blue kit?) or I guess I could save up a little and do the hemp recone again. What do you guys think? Thanks- John

SkipTracer

If it's completely shot and really in need of a recone, I wouldn't pay more than, say $100. The recone and shipping will run you maybe another 100, so you'll be in the ballpark of a new speaker. (Which is essentially what you'll have after the recone.)

Aside A Brown Soun (who never responded to my emails btw) Ted Weber is good option. He'll do the pre-rola treatment in order to age the speaker and to get it as close to the vintage ones as possible. I asked him about all this, and his prices are great. The only reason I didn't send him my '67 silver was the shipping costs. (I'm in Germany.)

What I did instead was to have my speaker reconed over here, with a regular Celestion kit and no special treatment whatsoever. To my suprise, it sounded very good right out of the box. I was also pretty sure that it would sound more like a Blue now, but it doesn't.

Scumback Speakers

Platinum Supporting Member
As Skip Tracer has said, $100 is all I'd pay for it, considering it needs a recone. I'd also recommend the Weber recone. The real Cele Blue kits are a whopping $200 from an authorized Celestion reconer.

Scumback Speakers

Seriously...check this recone page at OCSR. Whoops, I was wrong. It's $175.00 but after you ship it there and back it will be over $200. Nuts, huh?

http://www.speakerrepair.com/ocsrepairprice.html

Their aftermarket kit, using a 1777 cone, American made voice coil, and including their labor is $75. I've used their kits in the past and they're pretty decent. They don't sound like 60's cones, though, so there will be a tone change.

dbeeman

I will add a dissenting opinion. I say 25 to 50 bucks max. The frame and mag structure are nothing special. You can get a new Bluefor the cost of the frame and a celestion recone, and very close to that if you have weber recone it. Either way you still have a new cone and suspension - the main parts the break in and give the "vintage" sound

**** I will go put my nomex suit on now ****

SkipTracer

Seriously...check this recone page at OCSR. Whoops, I was wrong. It's $175.00 but after you ship it there and back it will be over $200. Nuts, huh?
Weird, in the UK the Celestion Blue recone kit is a lot less expensive. I checked lean-business.co.uk . They're selling it for 37 pounds.

Trending Topics