Fairfield Circuitry 2020 Pedal Prediction?

ctgp

The Long Life and Hors d'Oeuvre fit perfectly into the Fairfield line-up.They're more complimentary pedals this time than they are standalone things.
I only have the Long Life of the two new pedals, but it's definitely got that "Fairfield" thing going on.
If you need a Filter pedal that can oscillate with a Tilt EQ that has expression and CV Control... you don't really have any other options out there :)
Thanks!
I am really interested mostly in trying Long Life as I think I may very well have a use for it. Maybe( as suggested in an earlier post) as a corrective tool on a gig or in the studio or maybe as Pre DAW EQ? It does look good, which is a start.

I also want to hear more of that oscillation thing you mention :)

Empros

Thanks!
I am really interested mostly in trying Long Life as I think I may very well have a use for it. Maybe( as suggested in an earlier post) as a corrective tool on a gig or in the studio or maybe as Pre DAW EQ? It does look good, which is a start.

I also want to hear more of that oscillation thing you mention :)

I posted a few clips of the oscillating Q knob a couple pages back.

I'm using Long Life for 2 things primarily as an EQ for a dirty amp. Tightens up the lows a bit and adds some tightness into a really dirty amp. Great for riffing. Can also do the clocked wah thing on top of it, which is cool. The filter effects using an expression pedal or CV are fun, too.

Phineas Ball

Fuzz
Gold Supporting Member
Long Life sounds killer. I love Andy's demos - he always makes it clear what a pedal will do. Love your demos, Andy!

and @Empros - your clips are great. You just can't help but make cool music, man.

The LL reminds me a bit of the Stone Deaf PDF-1, but as usual, FC makes superlative tone-shaping/making devices.

ctgp

I posted a few clips of the oscillating Q knob a couple pages back.

I'm using Long Life for 2 things primarily as an EQ for a dirty amp. Tightens up the lows a bit and adds some tightness into a really dirty amp. Great for riffing. Can also do the clocked wah thing on top of it, which is cool. The filter effects using an expression pedal or CV are fun, too.
I get that wah wah thing from 4 eyes, but see how this may very well be a useful tool. Will check out the clips. Thanks!

cyberprimate

I don't think you can damage a pedal by giving it less amperage. Just wouldn't work as expected.

The pedal will turn on and work but not well and since it tries to draw more current than what the power supply is able to give, it may make the power supply overheat, melt or even catch fire. Is your Fairfield pedal safe if your house isn't ?

aaronjcurtis

The pedal will turn on and work but not well and since it tries to draw more current than what the power supply is able to give, it may make the power supply overheat, melt or even catch fire. Is your Fairfield pedal safe if your house isn't ?

heard back from FC, and they said the pedal is fine with less amperage and will just act differently. The 95mA in the manual is an average, but should be getting 150mA to work correctly.

cyberprimate

heard back from FC, and they said the pedal is fine with less amperage and will just act differently. The 95mA in the manual is an average, but should be getting 150mA to work correctly.

The FC pedal will be fine, it just depends whether you care about your power unit or not. And your safety in the long run.

ctgp

Something just occurred to me...

I'd really like a super clean DI from fairfieldcircuitry...that'd be a nice curveball from them.

soundxplorer

Silver Supporting Member
To those who are asking for more options added to the Long Life such as an onboard LFO or an envelope filter, I’d suggest looking into WMD’s Protostar. It has it all (except presets, unfortunately...) and sounds great.

I've had the Protostar for a while and I love it. You are correct, it sounds great and has all the features anyone could ever ask for and more (even a compressor).

I just got a Long Life to try it out though, and I'll say the filters sound different. Being a synth guy, I would describe the Protostar as sounding like a Roland synth (sort of clean and shiny, in a good way). It's excellent as a standard wah sound with many variations. The Long Life sounds closer to a Korg MS-20 (dirtier and gritty), not quite exactly like a Korg though, but in that direction when you turn the Gain up. It just has a little something 'extra' in the sound quality, like I have come to expect as a fan of Fairfield's stuff.

I thought after trying it out I would only keep one. But then I realized with both, I can set up a stereo filter path, and use the control voltage outputs from the WMD Protostar to get some envelope and LFO action on the Long Life. It's truly a win/win combo.

jondom22

Silver Supporting Member
I've had the Protostar for a while and I love it. You are correct, it sounds great and has all the features anyone could ever ask for and more (even a compressor).

I just got a Long Life to try it out though, and I'll say the filters sound different. Being a synth guy, I would describe the Protostar as sounding like a Roland synth (sort of clean and shiny, in a good way). It's excellent as a standard wah sound with many variations. The Long Life sounds closer to a Korg MS-20 (dirtier and gritty), not quite exactly like a Korg though, but in that direction when you turn the Gain up. It just has a little something 'extra' in the sound quality, like I have come to expect as a fan of Fairfield's stuff.

I thought after trying it out I would only keep one. But then I realized with both, I can set up a stereo filter path, and use the control voltage outputs from the WMD Protostar to get some envelope and LFO action on the Long Life. It's truly a win/win combo.
I found the protostar to also be a bit sterile, if you will, when comparing to other LPFs. Haven't tried the Long Life, but the Moof MF-101 to me had the most pleasing harmonics and overtones. The only downside of the moog is that the cv input for the filter cutoff is bi-polar, so you can't sweep the full range of the filter with a standard expression via TRS, or even standard 0-5v CV.

Haloskater24

I wonder if the Long Life filter shares any DNA with the one in the Four Eyes. That thing is SUPER powerful. I don’t really get EQ pedals that aren’t really comprehensive but maybe I’ve just yet to wrap my brain around what this thing is capable of. It seems to me like Fairfield’s version of the CBA Condor. I wonder how the pros/cons of each of these pedals stack against each other.
I talked to him and he said it was the inspiration behind it.

Haloskater24

Been looking at some comments of posts on their Instagram and apparently there's a reverb coming? Don't know how that's gonna work out, maybe a sperate pedal with springs?

aaronjcurtis

Been looking at some comments of posts on their Instagram and apparently there's a reverb coming? Don't know how that's gonna work out, maybe a sperate pedal with springs?

That was likely started by me. Fairfield had stated at one point that a reverb pedal he was working on wasn’t ready yet. Whether we’ll see it or not is unknown. There are a couple companies already doing reverbs with bucket brigade chips, so no need for springs.

Top Bottom