Fairfield Circuitry Barbershop Overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tatoi, Feb 17, 2009.

1. tatoi

tatoi Member

Hi folks.

I received my Barbershop yesterday, just before I was leaving my house for band practice. So basically, I was able to use it in a band situation on the day I got it:)

[​IMG]

Here's my first impression(s) for any of you who are interested:

It is great. Really great. Very touch responsive and clean. I don't know whether if it's a KLON killer since I've never owned a KLON, but the way the Barbershop adds sparkle and grit is just amazing.

I've been using a Fulltone OCD for about 2-3 years and while the OCD is also a great pedal, I sometimes find myself being bugged by the amount of low-end it adds. The Barbershop on the other hand, is very transparent. There's no unnecessary low-end like the OCD. There's no mid-range hump like TS variants...It's clean. I think the guy from Fairfield said that it opens up your tone. That's what I thought about it. I'm not sure what it's adding to the signal, but it just makes the original tone sound better IMO.

It can get pretty dirty if you want it to, depending on the Dirt and Sag knob combination.

Anyways, that's my opinion. If your looking for a clean OD, definitely give it a try. This pedal needs more attention.

2. iggs

iggs Member

LOL'D! ... I see what you did there ... :AOK

3. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

I need to try this. A warm but gritty transparent OD that would also fit in the "Pedal of the Week" spot on my board. I wonder if Mr. Fairfield could mount the 9 volt jack on the top edge of the pedal like my Crazy Horse which is currently in that spot on the board and has its 9 volt jack in that spot.

4. tatoi

tatoi Member

Try asking him. He was I nice guy to deal with:AOK

5. mcdonaldkd

mcdonaldkd Member

I own this pedal also. It is a GREAT pedal. I have never owned a Klon, so I cannot say if it is a Klon killer or not. I can say, however, that it is extremely versatile and very clean. It covers a lot of ground very well, and I cannot imagine it coming off my board any time in the near future. They are great folks to deal with, as well. Highly recommended! http://www.fairfieldcircuitry.com/

6. leodiditright

leodiditright Member

Putting the input and the output on the same side of the pedal is a really:bong design.

7. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

Yep, this pretty much kills it for me before I even play it. A stupid move since it goes against the layout of EVERY other pedal on the market.

I guess you could mount the pedal vertically so that the jacks are on the top. The knobs would be hard to read but since there are only three of them it won't be that big of a deal. I would need a custom version with a more functional layout.

TG

8. gfairfield

gfairfield Member

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=481202&page=2

Yep, that's how it was meant to be positionned. It's really quite easy to use so the writing on the pedal is almost purely esthetics. I'll try to get it in some shops in Edmonton so you can give it a whirl. Once you try it, nothing else really matters.

Todd and TG, if you guys are serious about custom jobs, give me a call or send me an e-mail and we'll talk.

9. Zero G

Zero G Member

How would your pedal be for boosting the gain channel of an amp into high gain territory?

10. Jschoi

Jschoi Supporting Member

looks like a klon...

does it sound like a klon too?

11. iggs

iggs Member

:huh ... because it's square and has 3 knobs + switch?!?!?!?

Seriously ... people should just stop with this Klon nonsense, the guy's got a great OD pedal and now it's all gonna go up in flames because of association with Teh Horsey-Man pedal.

12. Jschoi

Jschoi Supporting Member

Just a question... since there are a lot of TS clones out there i thought it could be a possibility. Not in any way, shape or form, trying to belittle the product. it looks great and maybe purchase one myself

13. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

This one seems closer to an SHO than to a TS based pedal. Not calling it a copy of that either, just letting you know which camp it is closer to. It may duplicate the Klon in purpose (low gain OD, clean boost, tone sweetener) but I don't believe it is supposed to have any similarity whatsoever in terms of design or tone.

14. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

Cool, but why not have it silk screened so that the labels are easy to read once mounted vertically?

I would love to try it out. Let me know if you get it into a place in Edmonton and if I like it, we can talk custom shop!

TG

15. gill

gill Member

Just visited his site--check out this pedal:

The Unpleasant Surprise
    Experimental Fuzz/Gate

Reminisce about the time you got your shoulder caught in the reciprocating saw while this unit destroys your slick jazz lines.

This is for the part of you that is tired of hearing about tone, responsiveness, sustain, tightness, chunkiness, balance and focus.

Currently in early development.

16. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Supporting Member

How's the wiring look? Can we get a couple gut shots?

17. gfairfield

gfairfield Member

If you're looking for a clean boost, there are definitely pedals out there that are better suited for the job. That said, it's great for boosting with a little or a lot of dirt. Sometimes, I feel sorry for my preamp tubes.

LowWatt is right. It almost sounds like he's tried one.

Here you go cj

[​IMG]

18. marsos52

marsos52 Member

let me bud in here .... i have a barbershop, and i have had a klon ... yes it looks like a mini klon.. but tone wise is another story. before the barbershop i was using a roger mayer voodoo blues once the barber shop came the voodoo is on a shelf and my zendrive is resting with the voodoo too

the klon is more 808/ts-9 and the barbershop doesnt add any mids or uneven boost
    it doesnt change the sound of my blackface or my germino. and works with singles and hums equally well. this pedals gives a great boost and if you turn the sag counterclock wise adds the most natural breakup i have ever heard and still doesnt effect your amp tone. with the sag turned up you smooth and clean things up

the drive works like most other drive controls this is plain and simple the pedal of pedals. no honeymoon effect either from day one till now it just fit right in

get one while the getting is still good and i have no problem using the pedal mounted sideways or normally

marc

19. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

Just going by what I've heard you and Scott from axeandyoushallreceive.com say about it. Planning to pick one up when cash is a little more fluid in March/April.

20. gfairfield

gfairfield Member

I was just kidding around. Thanks for your support LowWatt. I'll be going down to Toronto in the next few weeks. Working on getting some shops to carry the OD. I'll let you know.