Fake Chinese Gibson LP Custom?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Led Sabblin, Jan 29, 2012.

1. iluvfender

iluvfender Member

thats the first fake I seen with the correct 2 screw truss rod cover. usually they have 3 ...dead givaway, first thing most folks look at..hmmm

2. hikingbear

hikingbear Member

wow, Just looking at the headstock I wouldn't have guessed it was a fake.
    I do have a gibson SG and my Gibson hardshell case looks much better than that.

3. Drew68

Drew68 Supporting Member

Actually, the 3-screw TRC is pretty rare these days. Most of the fakes I see have two screws. For me, the most obvious giveaway is an Asian Tune-O-Matic bridge where the posts have screw slots in the top. Every Asian guitar it seems has these --as well as every fake Gibson I've seen.

[​IMG]

Gibson Tune-O-Matic:

[​IMG]

(pics found on the 'net and the top guitar is quite likely an Epiphone)

If you see a 'Gibson' with the Asian-style bridge, run away!

4. iluvfender

iluvfender Member

No it is not rare to see a 3 hole truss rod cover on the fake Gibsons. Google it. It's one of the first things they tell you to look for.

5. Drew68

Drew68 Supporting Member

Yes and it's horrible misinformation. It leads buyers into a false sense of security thinking that if they found a Gibson with a 2 screw TRC, that it's real. Chinese counterfeiters haven't been using 3 screws TRCs for years.

In addition to a generally "off" appearance (cutaways look strange, knobs are in the wrong place or not lined up, etc.) the most telltale signs are, as I mentioned before, the Asian TOM. I've never seen a fake Gibson with an American TOM. Additionally, look for a lack of fret-end binding on the fretboard, a scarf joint neck/headstock construction, a waterslide 'Gibson' logo and creme control covers.

You can see fake Gibsons all day long that have 2 screw TRCs over at http://fibsons.com/

6. gtraddict

gtraddict Member

There was one on my local craiglist, guy called him out on it. He took it off