Fake Guitar copies sites, Ok I am curious

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by edwarddavis, Aug 10, 2008.

1. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

Anybody have a list a links to sites that sell copies Like Gibsons , fenders etc,
    Just curious to see what s out their so i know not to buy a fake .
    I never bought a fake but would like to be a bit educated as to whats out there.
    I would hate to buy a $2000 guitar that sells and plays like a $200 guitar .

2. Drew68

Drew68 Supporting Member

Hundreds of counterfeit guitars over here:

http://www.paylessguitar.com.cn/index3.asp

While they are getting more and more convincing, all these fake Gibsons have frets over the binding. Real Gibsons have binding nubs. Sure, a refret might not have binding nubs as well but any Gibson that has been played enough to need a refret is probably going to have a lot of wear.

3. rallygsc

rallygsc Member

there is a lot of fake sites on the net, most of them are in China, a lot of the fakes can be easily spotted, all you have to do is know what to look for in a fake.

as what Drew mentioned about the frets is one, but another good tell tale sign is the hardware, look at the bridge, Gibson does not use tune a matics with a screw slot on them, Epiphones do, but not Gibsons,

look at the tuning keys, most of these chinese knockoffs use copies that look like the Gotoh Kluson, and there is no stamping on them, while gibson has Gibson Deluxe stamped on them.

the truss rod covers is another dead give away, there is a lot of ways to spot a fake, sadly there's jerk offs who pass them off as the real deal to someone who wants an affordable gibson, there is even fake Fenders, Tokai's, Gretsch's, ESP, Ibanez to name a few.

here is a link to one of the more notorious sites online
    http://www.musoland.com.cn/

always be aware of what you are buying, the sad part is the fact that a lot of the USA and other Guitar makers who rely on these Chinese companies to produce their imports, are the same companies making the fakes.

take care
    George

4. michaelvincent

michaelvincent Member

is it just me or do the toggle switches on all those les paul knockoffs appear to be in the wrong place?

5. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

[​IMG]
    wow
    seriel #'s and made in USA and everything....

that's brash
    anyone ever play one of these?

6. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

That's the irony. Anyone here who bought one, or knows someone who did, has nothing they'd like to share here to say.

7. Caretaker

Caretaker Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

An Ibanez Jem was BOUGHT at the Guitar Center down the street from my friend`s shop and brought to him for a setup. It was a POS. I checked and it is the one from payless. Each payless model has a specific serial # , but they ALL have the same #. See the Pawn shop thread froma few days ago. The serial the OP states is the same one on the guitar in the pic on the website.

8. Structo

Structo Member

Yes but they bring much luck joy.

9. Veritas

Veritas Silver Supporting Member

I was in China last year and got to play some of these knock-offs first hand. I can tell you that the average observer would have a difficult time telling the difference between the fake ones and the real thing. However, they mostly play like poop.

10. otaypanky

otaypanky Gold Supporting Member

I saw one a guy I know bought from http://www.samin.cn/
    It was a copy of a L.P. Supreme. I have a few LP's but have never seen a Supreme, so I don't know how close to accurate it is. I played it unamplified in a somewhat noisey bar and it didn't feel bad. The guy who owns it never gets great tone no matter what he plays, but it didn't sound terrible when he played it. For the price he paid, you sure could do a lot worse. Lots of the Gibsons I have seen out there have some obvious shortcomings of fit and finish, but this thing was pretty tidy ~

11. cyberpunk409

cyberpunk409 Member

12. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

A lot of those sites are using pictures of real guitars now. There was a thread a while back where you could see the Sweetwater logo on some Chinese site's pictures. What you see isn't likely what you get.

13. elgalad

elgalad Senior Member

What I don't understand is why they go to all the trouble of faking an expensive Gibson, then sell them for $250 each?

Why not just start your own brand making cheap LP copies. I'm sure if they were even halfway decent they could sell them for that price.

14. halorealm7

halorealm7 Member

so if these "things" are made in the same factory as the "legit" knock offs, what kind of wood are they made of and such. One site said the electronics are Korean so that makes sense as to being like the "legit knock off" ones. I guess my question is: are or will they be good enough to be classified as "lawsuit guitars" like the Ibanez and others? Would they be good enough if you're a basement hacker like me!? All I own are Fenders but wouldn't mind having some cheap LP tones. Seems they would be the same as the Agile, low end Tokai's and others.

15. otaypanky

otaypanky Gold Supporting Member

The one I saw from Samin wasn't half bad. I'm just now cruising the Zxc site that was mentioned here. You gotta laugh at the wording on the site, but that's what my friend told me also about Samin. I did email Samin and ask if the photos are of the actual guitar I would receive if I ordered one, or just a representational photo. They said it was the one I would receive. I haven't gone back to look at serial #'s, as I think someone here said they use the same # for all the guitars. I did see some horrific and obvious blunders in some of the Samin photos, like using a truss rod cover with the name of a different guitar from the model shown, some had misaligned tuners, you had to look carefully. Photos at the Samin site could be enlarged as I recall, that helped you see what you're getting a little better. His LP Supreme had a solid back with no cavity covers, an ebony board, a type of height adjustment for the bridge that I had never seen, screws instead of a thumbwheel ~ I don't know if that's how a Supreme is made or not. He told me his guitar arrived rather quickly, about a week or so. It was also as I remember considerably less $ for shipping than what Zxc wants. Zxc wants $90 shipping and $10 ins, and I remember my friend saying his was 30 something
    You have to wonder why on Zxc and I think on Samin also, that when they do the Fender copies they don't all say Made in the USA, instead some of them say Made in Mexico ~~~ LOL

16. whitehall

whitehall Member

Always go with Musoland. That's where the payless guy gets his guitars from. The payless guy almost ripped off a friend of mine on a special order but my friend cancelled the charge on his CC and got refunded. These are not the most horrible guitars I have ever seen. If you know how to do a full setup and have a good parts box they can be fun guitars to screw around with. Plus they will make you ANYTHING you want. Remember kids, these are not high quality guitars even though you desperately want to believe that.

17. halorealm7

halorealm7 Member

I remember quite a few years back when the Ibanez lawsuits came around. I purchased one of those LP copies for pennies really. There was all the same talk about them--how crappy they were--Japanese made pos and all that stuff. Sold mine based on all the crap everybody said about them. Now they are expensive and rare as hell. Its the same old deal. Back then the Japanese couldn't build a guitar--then the Koreans--now the Chinese. I don't agree with what they're doing with the head stock but if they are made in the same place as the Epi's and others, why are they being dogged? Whats different besides the head stock and a cheaper price? Same deal with Fender, you can buy a MIM guitar built by Mexican folks or you can buy a US model built by Mexican folks. All the US made guitars by big companies claim US made parts and stuff but how do you really know where each little part come from?

18. JamesT

JamesT Senior Member

Did you ever seel those "Keebler elves" knock offs? Several years ago they sold for $6.5K. No one would admit to makeing them so the myth was they were made by elves. and thus the became known as Keebler Les Pauls. They used real old wood.

19. robochimp

robochimp Gold Supporting Member

A couple of observations: On the counterfeit Gibsons, the serial # is imbedded deeper and is easier to read than on real Gibsons.

A friend of mine got a Jem knockoff from ebay. I saw and played it. It's not bad, actually. Funny, they made a few obvious ways to tell it's not a real Ibanez. First, the vol. and tone knobs on the knockoff are gold speed knobs. On the real thing, they use more traditional Strat-like knobs.
    The funnisest thing, though, is the bridge. It's some sort of Floyd copy, but it says "Ibanez" on the bridge, where, oddly enough, real Ibanez' do not.

20. halorealm7

halorealm7 Member

:rollBought one of those from some stubby guy with a pointy hat. Had Rev. Billy beard so I figured he was ok. BTW its for sale....I'll let it go for say............oh IDK......$5k?