Fake guitars... how they play and feel.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by natevi, Dec 26, 2009.

1. natevi

natevi Member

I'm really curious as to this MyeGlobal.com, they sell fake guitar copies at about $300 bucks a piece. How do they play an feel? Its tempting to by a PRS Hollowbody II and swap out the pickups and get it plek'd. Also the Ibanez Jem Steve Vai model and the rest of them for that matter. Anyone know anything about these fakes and how they are?

2. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

You get what you pay for.

3. David Collins

David Collins Member

That about says it. If you're lucky, you might get the same quality as you could find in a legally purchased import like Epiphone, Samick, Cort, and other cheapies. I've seen a few that came in to my shop, and went right back out when I quoted them $300+ to pull the frets and plane the board before it would even be worth touching the frets, much less considering upgrading the hardware and electronics. Some can be okay, but it's the luck of the draw.

Having instruments like this shipped in to the US is completely illegal by the way, not to mention dishonorable and irresponsible. The only thing you would be buying here that separates it from comparable instruments at Guitar Center is the forged name on the headstock and trademarked styles.

You're not going to find much support here if you're looking to intentionally buy a forgery, and likely to get a good deal of cheers and jeers if you receive it and possibly discover it's a total piece of crap. :dunno

I wouldn't do it.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's policy to shut these threads down out of legal or liability concerns either. Maybe it's perfectly legal, I don't know, but it seems like it would be in the same boat as asking where to get the best meth, or if dealer A has a better formula than dealer B.

4. DonW

DonW Velocity Town Angel Silver Supporting Member

Fake meat isn't near as good as the real thing and that's how I'd sum up any imposter, guitars etc.. Nowhere near as fulfilling & lacking taste.

Of course, cheap fakes is the subject here. It goes without saying that there are reproductions of classic designs that some may call fake but have all the elements of a fine instrument in their materials & craftsmanship. I found it best just to save up even if it takes longer to get the real deal rather than spend a little now and have a poor quility knock off.

5. PixMix

PixMix Member

What Davis said... I'd stay away from fakes and look into SE series if I wanted an inexpensive PRS.

6. edwardsforest

edwardsforest Member

I have had one. It worked great, sounded ground, and looked great.

MY 2 CENTS!

7. mspizziri

mspizziri Member

It feels like playing with lies

8. David Collins

David Collins Member

How timely....

On another guitar forum, someone just posted that they got a fake Les Paul for Christmas, and the intonation is a full half step off in the upper frets.

No saddle adjustment is going to fix that. Maybe the father who bought it didn't know any better in how to judge quality, but if he knew he was buying a fake I can't say I feel sorry for him. I just feel bad for the kid, for having a dad that would give him an illegal piece of crap like this for a gift.

Just stay away from the illegal forgeries.

9. edwardsforest

edwardsforest Member

Sure, its not the real thing. In my own personal experience, the real thing was not the tonal bliss everyone made it out to be. More power to me I guess? Or should I say, more money to me?

10. Joe_Steeler

Joe_Steeler Member

The best way I can explained is when I pickup a Dean guitar I feel like I've been cheated and someone, somewhere is laughing his ass off because I even picked it up.

They have managed to price a few way...... over $300, which is truly unbelievable.
    A company that is still riding the coat tails of a middle of the pack guitar player, now deceased, is a sad story.

11. David Collins

David Collins Member

If you don't need the "real thing" why get something that is illegally pretending to be the real thing. There are plenty of guitars out there for that same price range, which are imported legally, and with their own name on the headstock. Buy one of those. If you want the name "Gibson" on the headstock, buy a Gibson.

If you're conscience doesn't bother you when buying illegal forgeries like this, hopefully someday you will learn to let it.

My 2 cents....

12. chucke99

chucke99 Member

[​IMG]

13. Joe_Steeler

Joe_Steeler Member

Why bring Ed Roman into the conversation?!

LOL

14. deluxemeat

deluxemeat Member

exactly. and why are they a troll for having an opinion?

15. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

I don't see why these fakes are treated with any more contempt than the Edwards or Tokai copies. Just because they are of lesser quality?

16. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

I wrote an article in the December issue of Premier Guitar magazine on this subject. The guitars are basically on par with Epiphones and the like, only as mentioned, they are illegal in this country. You might get a good one, you might not, and the Chinese guy you bought it from will not take it back. You're stuck with what you get. While it's not illegal for you to buy a Chinese fake, you will be supporting criminal activity. If you can live with that and sleep at night, more power to you. I couldn't do it. I actually considered buying one of these fakes, just as a point of reference in doing the article, but I had second thoughts.

17. BrentB6

BrentB6 Member

My buddy bought a Boneyard LP from Samin. Fit and finish was good...I was surprised. Electronics were typical crap for a chinese. My big concern is the wood. If it has not been properly dried....well only time will tell. He paid around 350 with shipping...maybe 400. for another couple hundred and a bit of patience he could have scored a Gibbly LP studio....but to each his own.

18. chucke99

chucke99 Member

They are treated with more contempt because they are forgeries, created to deceive. Plus, once one gets into the States, the owner can resell it as an authentic brand, and once that happens a couple times, everyone who buys or sells it is a victim.

That doesn't happen with a Tokai or Burny. They are clearly labeled as to what they are.

19. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

Fair enough--I just looked at that ridiculous site so I know what you guys are talking about. The only reason I brought up the others is because I was under the impression that they were also 'illegal' to sell here in the US (I believe?).

20. OrangeAD30TC

OrangeAD30TC The venerable H.W.

You guys sure through around the word "illegal" pretty loosely. I would challenge you guys to delve a little deeper and discover what part of this is illegal. I am not saying it's not legal or illeagal, Im not sure either way. But what is part of this is illegal and under what law. Is the manufacturing illegal under chinese law? Is the use of the name illegal under chinese law? Is the import illegal under US law? Does selling to an indivisual in the US from china qualify to be legislated by import laws in the US? I am no laywer but I am business major and I have learned one thing in all my law classes....The simple is never so!