• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Fake Head

tim boehlert

See it all the time in the biz.... Styx, and others routinely place dummy cabs/heads on stage and even go to the extent to place a 9v battery to power up the Standby/Power lights!

Shark Diver

I tried to get a couple of these made when I was using the Axe Fx for the amp sims. Thought it would be cool to have people tell me how great my Marshall sounded. Might actually bid on this. :cool:

chinstrap

There used to be a company 80's era from Michigan that made ultra light 4x12 Marshall cabs empty, all for looks, name escapes me.

scriptphase

Love it!

From George Lynch's website:

At one point George actually had 10 loaded Randall 4X12 cabs and 10 Randall RG-100 heads on stage but what was miked was a Randall RG-80 combo amp on a chair behind his wall-0-amps. When George showed up for taping of Dick Clark's "American Bandstand" TV show in '85 he had Randall make him folding dummy cabs that actually had pictures of speakers to simulate actual speaker cabinets. "I could fit ten stacks in my trunk" bragged George.

Luke

Touring acts have been doing this forever. The amps are stage props, no need to make them any heavier than need be. Extra weight = extra cost to transport.

shadowbox

Gold Supporting Member
I read a Brad Paisley interview a while back and he said a number of the Dr Z cabs in his backline are empty. Pretty common practice for the big headliners...

StompBoxBlues

NO only that they are "US" nazis...won't ship outside the US.

"NO FAKE HEADS FOR YOU!!!..."

And it's a MARSHALL for gods sake...Shouldn't the US stick to fake Fender heads? (you never see those...)

UMT

I knew a big time act who's lead guitar player had 2 full Marshall stacks on stage but he was actually plugged into a hotrodded Fender Twin that was hidden behind the stacks and miked.

That's why they call it SHOWbusiness, baby!

GuiltySpark

Almost every major rock band has done this at one time or another. Especially when there was a video (or live footage) shoot...

Brooks

back in the 80's when they were still in the TX clubs (before "cowboys from hell"),
pantera had a whole wall of randalls, most of them fake. 3 full stacks on each side of the drums,
w/ 2 heads each stack. one head on each side was real, and the 2 upper/outer 4x12's on darrells side were real, as was the middle bottom cab on rex's side (1x18).
if you got close you could see that the fake cabs were 2 dimensional compared to the real cabs (you could see the 12" cut outs and the speakers on the real cabs).
i heard the cabs had hinged backs for storage.

BTW, darrell won his 1st two randall 1/2 stacks & his 1st 2 deans in a dallas area guitar contest when he was 15 & 16, beating guys in their 20's & 30's. after winning the 2nd year, they told him he had to be a judge in the future.

ps- they have those fake cab fronts for decoration on the walls of guitar center.

Lance

Gold Supporting Member
I read a Brad Paisley interview a while back and he said a number of the Dr Z cabs in his backline are empty. Pretty common practice for the big headliners...
Actually, he had most of those fitted with LCD screens. He then, projects all of the flash videos that he himself, created. Lots cheaper than a videographer.

So, with these available cheaply, why do you think Rush decided to go with large laundry machines? I guess I'll have to buy the latest studio release, and read all of the lyrics. Just for that one obscure laundry reference.

Somniferous

Actually, he had most of those fitted with LCD screens. He then, projects all of the flash videos that he himself, created. Lots cheaper than a videographer.

So, with these available cheaply, why do you think Rush decided to go with large laundry machines? I guess I'll have to buy the latest studio release, and read all of the lyrics. Just for that one obscure laundry reference.
Geddy Lee did the washing machine thing to make fun of Alex for having a ton of cabs on stage, where as he runs direct thru a Sans Amp these days. On other tours Geddy had rotisseries.

Trending Topics