Fake Les Pauls (China)

Ren5150

Ok, so I know these are bad news and all that good stuff but has anyone actually plugged one in and gave it a run? Looking for a beater and have my eyes on a Ace Frehley custom from China. Are these playable in way shape or form or are they just paper weights? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
Those lying, thieving, scamming scum don't need encouragement or support.

Ren5150

Those lying, thieving, scamming scum don't need encouragement or support.
Ok, but for those who dont wish to drop a few grand on a beater that may end up being turned into a "Ace" smoker, how about some reviews.

SW33THAND5

i have seen one first hand

it was a plywood non-gigable wall art that should be hanging on the wall of a TGI Friday as a chachki

Ren5150

Thanks. So I would be better off grabbing a Greco beater or a Tokai rather than the Chinese garbage.......sounds good. Thanks

SW33THAND5

Thanks. So I would be better off grabbing a Greco beater or a Tokai rather than the Chinese garbage.......sounds good. Thanks
totally

if you plan on actually "playing" this guitar, even as a beater, its no good for a musician. a local mom and pop guitar shop here in dallas has 3-4 of them. they are SO obvious when you hold one in your hands.

Ren5150

totally

if you plan on actually "playing" this guitar, even as a beater, its no good for a musician. a local mom and pop guitar shop here in dallas has 3-4 of them. they are SO obvious when you hold one in your hands.
Are they literally just garbage or are they salvageable? Is the action off the charts, necks bad etc? This is definitely a guitar for playing, for the Ace vibe.

Colourful

Are they literally just garbage or are they salvageable? Is the action off the charts, necks bad etc? This is definitely a guitar for playing, for the Ace vibe.
It's functional, it makes the sound; it just doesn't sound remotely as good as other alternatives like.. an Epiphone.

Deadwood

I know a guy who bought one off flea bay. I played it. They are cheap, cheap garbage! Do not support these people that pedal this junk! What a rip-off.

paulscape

I live in china and have played many fakes inc the ace. Morals and ethics aside some of them are amazing guitars particularly after setup. They reverse engineer the hardware so pups actually sound like a paf. There are a few factories that make them and to different standards. A grade A fake gibson will cost me 150 us new from shop. I havent bought a fake gibson but i bought a fake fender the other day and its unreal. I posted a demo of it here on tgp a week ago. IMO the good grade A fakes are better than the Epi's and budget legitimate copies.

I had one, it was not ply wood. I got it set up and hardware/pickups replaced and it was pretty alright. Nothing great at all but it was not nearly as bad as the low end epiphones I have played. I did sell it though.

Samba

Even when shopping for a beater- life's too short to play a shite guitar. My advice would be to find something plain with a few dings that intonates! :AOK

There's nothing like the tone of an ebony fretboard that's really black painted pine!

paulscape

You think they actually had a real PAF for reverse engineering?:crazyguy
...with Gibson now in china there's plenty for them to copy. Supply and demand...

If they can fake a BMW X5, a Breitling watch and apple IPhone I dont think a PAF's too much problem :D

If you really want to support legitimate business - make a guitar yourself and decentralise the wealth of corporations and piracy!

Trending Topics