Fake shredders? Did you know this is a thing?

Jim85IROC

I suppose it depends why you're doing it. If you're doing it to deceive, then you suck. If you're doing it to achieve a certain recorded tone, then hey, why not. As he demonstrated in the video, he's able to play that riff full speed, but it has a very different sound. On a recording, I can definitely see the sped up version being a tone that many would prefer.

Jabby92

Its definitely a common thing and I think a lot is driven by the fact that non-guitarists or non-musicians often get impressed by fast playing, but musically it often sounds terrible. Some people do it better than others, thats for sure.

I used to dig it a lot but it gets boring after a while. To me your melodic chops are way more valuable than your speed chops in the long run. Guitar solos should come with an emotional impact and be memorable, not mindless and going by in a blink (IMO).

CanserDYI

This is clearly sped up like an extra 25% or so. This is rubbish.
LOL Nope its not. Check out his and lucas manns videos of them doing these live. Same with Joel Olman. We saw them the other night in Cleveland and watching these guys play live looks like a person sped up in real life.

EDIT: The Video might be slightly slowed down and sped up to speed for tracking and cleanliness, but they can 100% do this live. Its absolutely mind melting.

Metallica also did this for master of puppets, BTW.

Last edited:

ieso

In the 80s I took some lessons from a local gunslinger who was in a band that had been on its way to 'making it' (of course, they didn't 'make it' at all) ;) Anyways, a few years after the window for 'making it' came and went, I happened to find a copy of their debut LP in the local used record shop (it was autographed for a female fan) and I took it home and gave it a spin.

One of the songs had a guitar solo that was 'fast' and obviously sped up (taped at half speed). It was so obvious it was painful. At our next lesson I brought up the record I found (Oh, cool!) and I asked him about that solo (Uh...) He averted his eyes and grew became equivocal. Uh, yeah, uh.... :rolleyes: To make things worse I played the solo for him at the recorded speed and, to take the awkwardness to the next level, I played it about twice that fast. :D Boldly going where no-one has awkwardness before, I asked him about the autograph: did he remember who "K____" was?

His ex-wife :eek:

He was a good guitarist who taught me a lot and I have no doubt that old trick was not his idea. But it is obvious that there is a lot of insecurity about speed and flash which makes no sense, really, since fame and wealth seem usually to be inversely proportional to speed and flash. There seems to be a point of 'fast enough' that most players can get to.

For me, the guys who make speed interesting turn it into an aesthetic component, e.g., Shawn Lane, Arthur Rhames, Vernon Reid, etc. It's not about fast notes but a structural or illusional aspect kinda like when you see a wheel spin at a certain speed and it suddenly appears to rotate in reverse. :cool:

Since I play along with MP3 files in Audacity - as opposed to a real band - I've noticed a number of songs that have been sped up in the studio. While I've not seen 2x, I have seen a few % for whatever reasons. Maybe the powers that be were trying to fit more songs onto a 45 LP? I'm not really sure, but that's an educated guess.

CanserDYI

Watch the video on musical Fractals and john coltrone's Giant steps played at hyper speed over and over again, 200,000 notes becomes...well...john coltrane's giant steps just higher a few registers. Its kinda crazy what speeding up notes can do. But yeah, anyone doing this to fool anyone is lame. To use it as a musical tool to maybe play like a sample to play over, thats fine with me.

explorer76

I recall reading an article years ago where the writer of the article swore that Black Sabbath sped up the solos to "Snowblind". The writer thought that there was no way that Iommi could possibly play those trills at that speed given Tony's finger issues.

Angus Page

Gold Supporting Member
I guess people speed up their video performances to make it appear superhuman on Instagram. I guess I had no idea this was a thing.
But if they ever did live gigs it would give them away immediately.
Manipulation in the recording process has been going on forever - so this particular rant doesn't carry weight IMO. The most famous one I've heard about involves Mutt Lange and most of his productions.
I heard that Def Leppard guitarist were recording single notes over a track and then overdubbing more single notes to form chords. I can only guess as to why. Langes work with AC/DC involved recording
multiple rythme parts with just a little bit of distortion on each till it builds into this impossible to sound like giant guitar - like on Back In Black. I don't think in either case it was done to fool anyone or because the musicians couldn't play the parts.

So is this not the same thing?

Dasein

LOL Nope its not. Check out his and lucas manns videos of them doing these live. Same with Joel Olman. We saw them the other night in Cleveland and watching these guys play live looks like a person sped up in real life.

EDIT: The Video might be slightly slowed down and sped up to speed for tracking and cleanliness, but they can 100% do this live. Its absolutely mind melting.

Metallica also did this for master of puppets, BTW.
They can play it live but not that clean with those dynamics..... I think that's the argument.... I have no idea but that video is not natural speed.

CanserDYI

They can play it live but not that clean with those dynamics..... I think that's the argument.... I have no idea but that video is not natural speed.
Well yeah, but how many tech metal bands have the exact same sound out of the studio? its ****ing hard lol this is a post production video with video of him playing the parts. Its impressive either way, from a musician and composers stand point.

EDIT: And if you've ever seen these guys live, you'd know that that's his hands at normal speed. Charles, Lucas, and Joel are freaks of nature. Like i said, we JUST saw them in concert last week, literally inches from our faces watching Lucas shred his dick off. Its almost stomach wrenching. There are videos playing with 30 clocks in the background showing there is no speed up.

Reactions: jcj