• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Fake shredders? Did you know this is a thing?

CanserDYI

Its nothing personal man, not an attack on you, and I've said nothing about whether I like the music or not. You said over and over that these guys don't use tracks, they are 100% live, they play everything, etc... I just showed you video of them using guitar tracks live. That's it, no need to get all sarcastic, just admit you were wrong.
I admit they use backing tracks to boost their live performances. I think they are incredible guitarists. I saw them live, they put on an awesome performance. I think the pageantry of the music is part of it I guess. I don't see it as faking if the end result sounds interesting and different than the crowd. They still wrote the music. They still played the music. They're not speeding anything up, theyre adding ambiance to their sound in my opinion. Call it faking, I like how it sounds. And I can't create that sound.

I guess I'm not that far off, my band often times has to use a backing track drum track due to sound restrictions. A lot of our sound comes from that in my opinion and i find it really unique in my eyes. I guess yes they could be more transparent about how they make their sound, and that a lot of the insaneness is from the studio and help on stage. I admit all that, and I'm sorry for fighting so hard against it. I just really think the guys put on an incredible show, and even programming all that background stuff has got to be a difficult task to mix in with shredding dicks off live. I'm impressed fake, I'm impressed real.

Last edited:

Dasein

I admit they use backing tracks to boost their live performances. I think they are incredible guitarists. I saw them live, they put on an awesome performance. I think the pageantry of the music is part of it I guess. I don't see it as faking if the end result sounds interesting and different than the crowd. They still wrote the music. They still played the music. They're not speeding anything up, theyre adding ambiance to their sound in my opinion. Call it faking, I like how it sounds. And I can't create that sound.

I guess I'm not that far off, my band often times has to use a backing track drum track due to sound restrictions. A lot of our sound comes from that in my opinion and i find it really unique in my eyes. I guess yes they could be more transparent about how they make their sound, and that a lot of the insaneness is from the studio and help on stage. I admit all that, and I'm sorry for fighting so hard against it. I just really think the guys put on an incredible show, and even programming all that background stuff has got to be a difficult task to mix in with shredding dicks off live. I'm impressed fake, I'm impressed real.
Ya -- but WHY DID YOU FIGHT SO HARD? because everything you just said was pointed out to you by posters (in kind and respectful ways) and you denied and resisted it all.... like what's going on with that? Do you realize it took 10 pages for you to get there? We could have developed this conversation and gone to some cool new places with it but we had to spend 10 pages repeating the obvious just to get us here -- now we're exhausted and I doubt much more will be posted or said about them.

MikeFM

Here's a live video from the same guy:

Notice the difference sonically and in the video itself?
I do. I just don’t understand why anyone would bother? It sounds like it would’ve sounded equally impressive at regular speed.

CanserDYI

Ya -- but WHY DID YOU FIGHT SO HARD? because everything you just said was pointed out to you by posters (in kind and respectful ways) and you denied and resisted it all.... like what's going on with that? Do you realize it took 10 pages for you to get there? We could have developed this conversation and gone to some cool new places with it but we had to spend 10 pages repeating the obvious just to get us here -- now we're exhausted and I doubt much more will be posted or said about them.
Yeah not really caring. I still stand by most of my statements. I still think 90% of whats being played on stage is live in front of me. Again I saw it. I felt it. I still don't believe that 6 year old article from the one estranged band member, and I don't believe any reputable people would work with them if it wasn't at least mostly legit.

I will admit there is more behind the scenes than I wanted to admit.

Dasein

I do. I just don’t understand why anyone would bother? It sounds like it would’ve sounded equally impressive at regular speed.
I agree -- I've considered posting YouTube clips of myself playing but thought the air guitar to my own studio tracks was still a cheat in my mind.... I can't imagine ever wanting to do what some of these guys are doing unless I wanted to achieve that glassy polished effect - I don't want to achieve that but if I did I wouldn't be claiming it was something it was not.

BCy2k

Wow. I knew that "higher - louder - faster" was a thing for musicians in general ... but fake shredding is for those pushing the boundaries of lameness. It's uber-posing. It does have some awkward tangents, such as autotune, live backing tracks, lip syncing, even overdubbing ... but we all get to draw our own lines. Back to Leon Todd's points from the OP, all of which I concur with generally. There is something to the notion that one well placed note, with the appropriate vibrato, can be just as fun as all your best 'look at me' licks strung together ... YMMV

JosephZdyrski

Well one thing’s for sure this thread has certainly made me feel better about my own imperfect “shredding” which I put in quotes due to the fact that I’m not really going for a metal sound at all so it’s only Shred in the sense that it’s fast and technical ish lol. And always played through an amp, without a noise gate even and with 11 gauge strings so I’m almost taking all advantages away from myself lol. And honestly almost always make a mistake or two and include some sloppiness here and there but it’s mine and I can always play at this level. And although not perfect and not mind numbingly fast really it’s all played live on the first take and definitely not manipulated in any way.

Last edited:

flyonthewall150

Silver Supporting Member
Cool video by Leon, it makes sense given the type of thing that some modern players go for. I mean it is cool and all that some guys can make a guitar sound like video game music, but to me it has a limited shelf life.
Agree. It’s soulless and basically just mindlessly running scales. Not to say people that can do that sort of thing aren’t talented, but not my bag.

JosephZdyrski

In Iran they don't even need electricity to shred

Totally fake!!!

If you look closely just after the 2:00 min mark ... you see a reflection of a person on the black piano and then that reflection passes in back of the clock and disappears behind it completely. That reflection as it passes over the clock should cause some form of light displacement but it doesn’t. Not at all, cuz the clock wasn’t there it was photoshopped into the video at a later time.

V-Picks

Vendor
Bill Decker is the fastest player I have ever seen or heard. We took this video of him at NAMM one year. Honest! This is not sped up or manipulated in any way. We have been accused of that but listen to the background noise. It is all legit and was recorded with our cell phone.

FuzzyAce

Gold Supporting Member
Bill Decker is the fastest player I have ever seen or heard. We took this video of him at NAMM one year. Honest! This is not sped up or manipulated in any way. We have been accused of that but listen to the background noise. It is all legit and was recorded with our cell phone.

You should check out Roy Marchbank some time. The guy is a machine, and has some really nice compositions too. He had been accused of speeding things up on vids years ago but he's the real deal. He uses very thick picks and attacks the strings near the bridge saddles which gives it an unusual tone when blazing through with alternate picking.

Last edited:

Trending Topics