• Supporting Membership Changes

The Supporting Memberships are currently being updated moving forward.

In order to coordinate giveaway drawings to the Supporting Members there will be a new alignment in the naming of the tiers. (Note: Non-Supporting (Basic) and Monthly Supporting Members can get into the drawings by mailing a postcard. Details on that will follow with a giveaway starting soon).

The pricing for each Supporting Membership level remains the same though the naming of them will change. The privileges remain the same as current but with the new name. If you are a current Supporting Member, you will be upgraded automatically for the existing term of your Supporting Membership. We are introducing a new tier with new perks.

Table here

Supporting Membership Guide

• Monthly Supporting Members will remain Supporting Members
    • Current annual Supporting Members will now be Silver Supporting Members. Perks and permissions remain the same
    • Current Silver Supporting Members will now be Gold Supporting Members
    • Current Gold Supporting Members will now be Platinum Supporting Members
    • A new level will be created - Double Platinum Supporting Members

All memberships will now have the option to remain as non-recurring memberships or choose reccuring memberships moving forward. *Note: current memberships will NOT be changed to recurring memberships.

Fake shredders? Did you know this is a thing?

80tiger

Gold Supporting Member
I guess people speed up their video performances to make it appear superhuman on Instagram.

I guess I had no idea this was a thing.

But if they ever did live gigs it would give them away immediately.

Didn’t know. Nope. To each his own, though.

Surfreak

As somebody who has invested over 40 years and counting in learning their instrument, improving on technique and musicianship etc, I have a different view on this: it’s all about the music.

if you want to use technology to make music that is too fast or too complicated for human hands do it, by all means, if that is your vision for your music.

Jason Becker cannot play anymore, yet he is making amazing music, for machines and other musicians to play.
Beethoven went deaf before making some immortal music he would not ever get to hear, let alone play.

Dexterity does not mean musicianship.

In the big and wonderful world of music there is room for the purists who squeeze that one note imbued with the sorrows of the universe, and the laptop whiz who patches up dozens of snippets and speeds them up 10X,

Be open minded, create and be daring.

The_Bell

As somebody who has invested over 40 years and counting in learning their instrument, improving on technique and musicianship etc, I have a different view on this: it’s all about the music.

if you want to use technology to make music that is too fast or too complicated for human hands do it, by all means, if that is your vision for your music.

Jason Becker cannot play anymore, yet he is making amazing music, for machines and other musicians to play.
Beethoven went deaf before making some immortal music he would not ever get to hear, let alone play.

Dexterity does not mean musicianship.

In the big and wonderful world of music there is room for the purists who squeeze that one note imbued with the sorrows of the universe, and the laptop whiz who patches up dozens of snippets and speeds them up 10X,

Be open minded, create and be daring.
Thoughtful post.

Where I think flame comes from is when there is inherent deceit in what is being done to achieve a result.

I think there are parallels in social media in general, the beauty industry, athletics, etc. And people can get a false sense of what is normal or extraordinary.

leftcoast

Extreme comping techniques in a DAW can make an average player sound like a speed demon. However, one bad side-effect, is that extreme comping can make the guitar sound like a synth soundtrack from an old 8-bit video game.

Mickey_C

The Original Racketeer
Gold Supporting Member
As far as I know his playing is 100% real. I enjoy his interviews and get the impression he practices a lot. His fretting hand is noticeably longer than his picking hand, from playing so much.
Is that a thing? I never noticed before... my left hand is over 1/2" longer than my right hand. LOL.

Been playing seriously since I was 12.. in 1972.

The_Bell

Is that a thing? I never noticed before... my left hand is over 1/2" longer than my right hand. LOL.

Been playing seriously since I was 12.. in 1972.
I am no expert but I think so. Quote from glidemagazine below, i have seen him put his hands together in videos and they are different lengths.

Do you remember your first guitar and how you got it?

I do. I remember we had a Sears a few miles down the road and I went and got an acoustic guitar from Sears. Oh my God, it was so hard to play cause my hands were so little but I loved it. I played it so much that today one hand is bigger than the other hand from like stretching so much when I was little. It was a very hard guitar to play but then I got an electric and just played it and played it and played it. So yeah, my first guitar was like this Sears acoustic guitar but I never really put the guitar down.

JosephZdyrski

I don’t get this either....

I personally think if I cannot play something even better in a live situation, than it’s basically worthless to me and don’t count that as a skill I have yet.

Hell i even go as far as to believe can’t nail it on first take... your not really ready to play it yet. Much less perform it live.

But then again I have extremely high standards for myself and thus everyone else as well.

yfeefy

My piano playing friend has said that a lot of Lennie Tristano stuff is sped up, and that it was common knowledge. He played some for me that did sound sped up, but old recording do have that quality anyway. Amazing solos over changes though.

Toffo

I'll take the contrarian view here I suppose. This isn't the sort of music I listen to and I'd never heard of these guys. But if they have a musical idea in their heads and they want it realised ultra-clean on record because that's the sound they're going for, then all power to them for recording it at 50% and speeding it up. I often write riffs, licks or solos that would sound better 50% faster but unfortunately I don't have the chops to pull it off. If I wanted that stuff recorded, then sure speeding up the recording is one way to do it.

Think of a song like Scarified by Racer X. That song really depends on its tempo to be what it is. Tempo is around 140bpm, if it were played at 90bpm it would lose a lot of it's appeal.

Now if the intent is to deceive, then the root issue is dishonesty rather than (or in addition to) any musical objections.

Finally, I love Leon's videos, he's got a great way of being a clear communicator and a straight shooter, while still coming across as a really nice guy. The point he makes about music being about emotion and its ok to play a bit sloppy is I think generally true. But there are some people out there who do genuinely enjoy the virtuosity side of it and playing ever faster and harder songs is the point of music for them. If music is about emotion, making someone's jaw drop to the floor after seeing someone play a solo at blistering speed is an emotion too - amazement!

Some artists like to paint abstract works and others go for ultra-realistic. Other still use Photoshop to augment their art. Each option is fine. Music is really about what you want it to be and while I'm not really into this ultra-clean speed contest that a lot of shreddy and heavier music is these days, I am glad there are people out there who are pushing the technical limits and making music that others enjoy.

To each their own.

So much PC in the world today.

I say, it's BS to make "music" by stealing bits of other peoples songs, using samples produced by other ppl, or cheating by speeding up the tape (LP included).

Yeah, it might be perceived as music, but the effort involved is nill compared to what it takes to adequately learn a real instrument and make good songs (though LP was a great musician). It's a real slap in the face to folks that've worked countless hours practicing and have developed the ability to pour thier soul out through thier instrument.

THAT is what pis$e$....really bugs me about this poo poo

spencer096

I'll take the contrarian view here I suppose. This isn't the sort of music I listen to and I'd never heard of these guys. But if they have a musical idea in their heads and they want it realised ultra-clean on record because that's the sound they're going for, then all power to them for recording it at 50% and speeding it up. I often write riffs, licks or solos that would sound better 50% faster but unfortunately I don't have the chops to pull it off. If I wanted that stuff recorded, then sure speeding up the recording is one way to do it.

Think of a song like Scarified by Racer X. That song really depends on its tempo to be what it is. Tempo is around 140bpm, if it were played at 90bpm it would lose a lot of it's appeal.

Now if the intent is to deceive, then the root issue is dishonesty rather than (or in addition to) any musical objections.

Finally, I love Leon's videos, he's got a great way of being a clear communicator and a straight shooter, while still coming across as a really nice guy. The point he makes about music being about emotion and its ok to play a bit sloppy is I think generally true. But there are some people out there who do genuinely enjoy the virtuosity side of it and playing ever faster and harder songs is the point of music for them. If music is about emotion, making someone's jaw drop to the floor after seeing someone play a solo at blistering speed is an emotion too - amazement!

Some artists like to paint abstract works and others go for ultra-realistic. Other still use Photoshop to augment their art. Each option is fine. Music is really about what you want it to be and while I'm not really into this ultra-clean speed contest that a lot of shreddy and heavier music is these days, I am glad there are people out there who are pushing the technical limits and making music that others enjoy.

To each their own.
counterpoint: all these shred cats are just musical virgins talking about banging chicks before they’ve touched a t1tty.

you put a chord change in front of 95% of em and it’d be like putting a speed bump on a nascar track.

...i know this from personal experience. /long reformed shredder

Tootone

Leon is right, but wasting his time and emotion.

Nobheads will always be Nobheads. Its a fact of life. You can't convince them otherwise.

Trending Topics