Fake shredders? Did you know this is a thing?

The_Bell

My problem with this guy is the deceit. I asked him politely on FB if he could play those songs through in single pass without editing and if he was really claiming he tracked those guitars live, or if he used midi to trigger notes...

I got banned from his FB page, comments deleted. Another guy I know, prominent player, went in and asked the same thing...comments deleted, banned from page. If he had nothing to hide, he would be forthcoming and say, yeah...I use midi and triggered guitar lines and autotune as compositional tools. But he doesn't, he hides that ****, and bans anyone that questions whether he actually can play those parts.
Your argument about the music, what is music, hip hop uses samples, etc... doesn't really hold up here. Hip hop isn't pretending that they are actually playing the music. They are transparent in their practices. They make electronic beats and then rappers with great lyrical and rhythmic skill rap over them...live. MC's actually take great pride in their ability to improvise and spit over random topics and beats, if it ever came out that an MC was using electronic trickery to make it appear that he better flow than another MC... there would be uproar, that MC would get called out by his peers and they'd be over & done.

This Berry clown's videos don't showcase the music.....The music isn't the focal point. They showcase the playing, the almost supernatural technical precision in the execution of the parts. That supernatural precision is faked.

Go read the hundreds and hundreds of comments on any one of his videos. NOBODY is talking about the music...all they talk about is "OMG, you're an alien, how could possibly play those lines?" and the truth is....he didn't play them. At least not as you heard them.

Regarding the line for cheating.... Reverb & delay obviously aren't cheating, but moving notes, quantizing and using midi to trigger lines you can't play. Thats definitely cheating.
The guy is a signature artist for a guitar line - I had never heard of him before this thread so looked him up. I think that comes with at least some hope of transparency given you are seen as part of a group of virtuosos with that status.

ieso

The guy is a signature artist for a guitar line - I had never heard of him before this thread so looked him up. I think that comes with at least some hope of transparency given you are seen as part of a group of virtuosos with that status.
A company unwilling to take the unsuspecting for a ride would be exceptional :D

CanserDYI

Gonna be honest, he's my least favorite of all of them. i just know the guy has mad compositional/audio skills. My favorite is Rings of Saturn, and I've seen them live, while there is stuff playing in the background, ambient music, etc. The leads and rhythms are all real guitars shredding dicks off. I heard mistakes, pick scratches, hum from the lights etc. Regardless of whatever you think of the music, the guys are insane.

I disagree. Clearly fake. Hands simply don't move that fast. And compare that video with videos of his current playing, now that he actually has a somewhat legit reputation--the playing is markedly slower.
It's strange how he'd go through the process of doctoring these videos, and still not be able to figure out how to make his vibrato sound less like strangling a cat.

Killcrop

It's my hypothesis based on my smell test.... it "looks and feels" sped up..... Kind of like a stripper's fake boobies..... I know what real boobies look like -- I know how they sit, how they move, I know the shape as it relates to things like weight to hang ratios... I just know..... If I had a dollar for every time some punter in a strip bar tried to argue with that the stripper in front of us had "real" boobies when I said they were fake, then I'd have given that dollar to the dancer and they would have been able to finish nursing school instead of developing a meth habits and hooking up with some part-time drywaller and moving to Akron....
Dude, that is so specific.

McShred

Gonna be honest, he's my least favorite of all of them. i just know the guy has mad compositional/audio skills. My favorite is Rings of Saturn, and I've seen them live, while there is stuff playing in the background, ambient music, etc. The leads and rhythms are all real guitars shredding dicks off. I heard mistakes, pick scratches, hum from the lights etc. Regardless of whatever you think of the music, the guys are insane.
Speaking of Rings of Saturn..... their former drummer admitted he/they tracked everything at 1/2 speed for recording, and then live....played along supporting tracks(not just harmony guitars, but lead lines) and that the live guitars were always lower in the mix than the pre-recorded counterparts.

https://www.metalsucks.net/2012/11/...-brent-silletto-shares-his-side-of-the-story/

CanserDYI

Speaking of Rings of Saturn..... their former drummer admitted he/they tracked everything at 1/2 speed for recording, and then live....played along supporting tracks(not just harmony guitars, but lead lines) and that the live guitars were always lower in the mix than the pre-recorded counterparts.

https://www.metalsucks.net/2012/11/...-brent-silletto-shares-his-side-of-the-story/
Again. Watched them live. I heard their warmups I felt their mistakes and the hands brushing on a set of strings that were being picked up. He played through kemper into a mesa cab 5 feet from me and i could feel that 4x12 kicking me. There was no faking what they showed me. An Estranged band member talks crap about a band that has a lot of rumors around it, on a website known for its terribly researched articles. Not really shaking what I like about them.

its okay. People can make music you're not into. I'm not rushing buying your album am I?

Last edited:

iamdavea

Silver Supporting Member
Again. Watched them live. I heard their warmups I felt their mistakes and the hands brushing on a set of strings that were being picked up. He played through kemper into a mesa cab 5 feet from me and i could feel that 4x12 kicking me. There was no faking what they showed me. An Estranged band member talks crap about a band that has a lot of rumors around it, on a website known for its terribly researched articles. Not really shaking what I like about them.

its okay. People can make music you're not into. I'm not rushing buying your album am I?
I believe the estranged band member, and his extremely detailed 1,000 word essay.

CanserDYI

I believe the estranged band member, and his extremely detailed 1,000 word essay.
Thats fine. Go to a show and see that they don't need to use those crutches. I don't need convincing, and obviously you don't either. Why is anyone even giving a ****? I'm still rocking their CD because they make wild music no one else is doing.

Theyre also using very high names, effing Mark Lewis, on the production of their newest album. You really think he would work on something that ridiculously put together? half speed and faked? Nah man. It was a band member that lasted barely one tour. Believe what you want, its not changing anything about the music they produce.

EDIT: And you do realize that article is 6 years old? The band has come out with 3 full length albums since then touring with many high profile bands. You think if they were fake by now they'd have how many "mess ups" at the thousands of shows theyve put on? There would be at least one "LOOK LUCAS MANN IS GUITAR SYNCING AND MIMING" video, there would be tons of articles about it. No. every article you read is someones speculation, or some estranged band members testimony. And the count for the latter is 1. 1 band member out of the 10+ people that have come through the band, and the one they have beef with puts that article out. This sounds like a conspiracy theory and that you guys WANT these bands to be fake.

Last edited:
People have been stealing bits of songs forever. Beethoven made several variations based on themes by Mozart (it was a common practice at the time to write variations on well known melodies). George Harrison based "If I Needed Someone" on the riff from The Byrds "The Bells of Rhymney" which was their version of a Pete Seeger song.

These are just a few examples off the top of my head. There's nothing new under the sun.

That's not what I mean when I talk about stealing bits of others music. I'm talking about stuff like kid rock stealing the Sweet Home Alabama riff directly off of the record and making "his" own song with it. I'm not talking about the old saying "a good musician creates his own song but a great musician takes others music and makes it thier own". That's called inspiration IMO. I'm talking about straight up theft...even if they're paying royalties. Just lame.

Chris Scott

My first reaction is who actually cares about that shite, yet my idea of engaging things to hear played on a guitar are likely to be wildly different than whatever crowd likes that stuff.

My second reaction is that I wouldn't be broadcasting the fact that I have no girlfriend, but again, that's just me...:D

Ever hear Lane's Kaiser Nancarrow?

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">
Shawn Lane was a very musically astute player; and seems to have been exposed to some interesting material.

Conlon Nancarrow’s piano studies are a good reference point for shredders.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conlon_Nancarrow

In some respects Nancarrow started all of this impossible-to-play live stuff with his player-piano studies. Pianists can’t play many of his pieces, though they are on a piano. Shawn Lane may have been making a point here.

Last edited:

Trending Topics