Fake shredders? Did you know this is a thing?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by aliensporebomb, Nov 7, 2019.

1. McShred

McShred Supporting Member

Your argument about the music, what is music, hip hop uses samples, etc... doesn't really hold up here. Hip hop isn't pretending that they are actually playing the music. They are transparent in their practices. They make electronic beats and then rappers with great lyrical and rhythmic skill rap over them...live. MC's actually take great pride in their ability to improvise and spit over random topics and beats, if it ever came out that an MC was using electronic trickery to make it appear that he better flow than another MC... there would be uproar, that MC would get called out by his peers and they'd be over & done.

This Berry clown's videos don't showcase the music.....The music isn't the focal point. They showcase the playing, the almost supernatural technical precision in the execution of the parts. That supernatural precision is faked.

Go read the hundreds and hundreds of comments on any one of his videos. NOBODY is talking about the music...all they talk about is "OMG, you're an alien, how could possibly play those lines?" and the truth is....he didn't play them. At least not as you heard them.

Regarding the line for cheating.... Reverb & delay obviously aren't cheating, but moving notes, quantizing and using midi to trigger lines you can't play. Thats definitely cheating.

2. Miroslav L

Miroslav L Member

Yeah, I agree.
    It seems to driven by hormones, and the guitar pants-dropping and measuring, than it is by a deep feeling for the music. It's all about precision and speed...which I can appreciate to degree, and more so in athletic endeavors, though occasionally in some music passages where it's needed...but not as a total style, from start to finish, and always, no matter what the song.

Now I'm sure some will say "you don't understand Metal"...well, I really thought classic Metal was great, and played my share of it...but somewhere it all became too much about the gymnastics.
    I listen to modern Metal drumming, and there's no musicality there, either...it's just an onslaught of speed-driven beats, so many and so fast, that the drums don't even have a chance to breathe.

Yes...that's maybe it in a nutshell...music has to breathe along the way, it's about the point and counterpoint...the high/low dynamics, etc...not to mention some melody and a harmonic bed.
    When it's just a flat out speed race to the end...it really has no listening appeal to me, and frankly, it all kinda sounds the same. I have a hard time distinguishing one song from another....or what the point is of the songs.

Johnny Ninefingers likes this.
  3. CanserDYI

CanserDYI Member

J
    Good thing we're allowed to disagree, because I do. Good debate.

4. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

fake shredders? who knew this was a thing?
    [​IMG]

Ed DeGenaro, Doode and aliensporebomb like this.
  5. The_Bell

The_Bell Member

The guy is a signature artist for a guitar line - I had never heard of him before this thread so looked him up. I think that comes with at least some hope of transparency given you are seen as part of a group of virtuosos with that status.

6. ieso

ieso Member

A company unwilling to take the unsuspecting for a ride would be exceptional :D

Porfirio likes this.
  7. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    This is exactly what I thought of as soon as I saw the video showing the guitar playing sped up.
    Great call! :)

8. CanserDYI

CanserDYI Member

Gonna be honest, he's my least favorite of all of them. i just know the guy has mad compositional/audio skills. My favorite is Rings of Saturn, and I've seen them live, while there is stuff playing in the background, ambient music, etc. The leads and rhythms are all real guitars shredding dicks off. I heard mistakes, pick scratches, hum from the lights etc. Regardless of whatever you think of the music, the guys are insane.

9. Yngtchie Blacksteen

Yngtchie Blacksteen Member

It's strange how he'd go through the process of doctoring these videos, and still not be able to figure out how to make his vibrato sound less like strangling a cat.

stonem likes this.
  10. iamdavea

iamdavea Silver Supporting Member

Musicality is for the slow guys!

11. Yngtchie Blacksteen

Yngtchie Blacksteen Member

Ironic that one of his idols is Shawn Lane, and one of my favourite aspects of Shawn's playing is his vibrato and slower phrasing. Some people's ears just don't pick up on that, it would seem.

aliensporebomb and iamdavea like this.
  12. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

Dude, that is so specific.

IAO and xzacx like this.
  13. McShred

McShred Supporting Member

Speaking of Rings of Saturn..... their former drummer admitted he/they tracked everything at 1/2 speed for recording, and then live....played along supporting tracks(not just harmony guitars, but lead lines) and that the live guitars were always lower in the mix than the pre-recorded counterparts.

https://www.metalsucks.net/2012/11/...-brent-silletto-shares-his-side-of-the-story/

Toby Krebs, egregion and Blix like this.
  14. CanserDYI

CanserDYI Member

Again. Watched them live. I heard their warmups I felt their mistakes and the hands brushing on a set of strings that were being picked up. He played through kemper into a mesa cab 5 feet from me and i could feel that 4x12 kicking me. There was no faking what they showed me. An Estranged band member talks crap about a band that has a lot of rumors around it, on a website known for its terribly researched articles. Not really shaking what I like about them.

its okay. People can make music you're not into. I'm not rushing buying your album am I?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  15. iamdavea

iamdavea Silver Supporting Member

I believe the estranged band member, and his extremely detailed 1,000 word essay.

Blix likes this.
  16. CanserDYI

CanserDYI Member

Thats fine. Go to a show and see that they don't need to use those crutches. I don't need convincing, and obviously you don't either. Why is anyone even giving a ****? I'm still rocking their CD because they make wild music no one else is doing.

Theyre also using very high names, effing Mark Lewis, on the production of their newest album. You really think he would work on something that ridiculously put together? half speed and faked? Nah man. It was a band member that lasted barely one tour. Believe what you want, its not changing anything about the music they produce.

EDIT: And you do realize that article is 6 years old? The band has come out with 3 full length albums since then touring with many high profile bands. You think if they were fake by now they'd have how many "mess ups" at the thousands of shows theyve put on? There would be at least one "LOOK LUCAS MANN IS GUITAR SYNCING AND MIMING" video, there would be tons of articles about it. No. every article you read is someones speculation, or some estranged band members testimony. And the count for the latter is 1. 1 band member out of the 10+ people that have come through the band, and the one they have beef with puts that article out. This sounds like a conspiracy theory and that you guys WANT these bands to be fake.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  17. GenericUserName

GenericUserName Member

That's not what I mean when I talk about stealing bits of others music. I'm talking about stuff like kid rock stealing the Sweet Home Alabama riff directly off of the record and making "his" own song with it. I'm not talking about the old saying "a good musician creates his own song but a great musician takes others music and makes it thier own". That's called inspiration IMO. I'm talking about straight up theft...even if they're paying royalties. Just lame.

18. telecopter

telecopter Supporting Member

Not only that, it's boring as he!!

CJReaper, egregion and Noah like this.
  19. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Member

My first reaction is who actually cares about that shite, yet my idea of engaging things to hear played on a guitar are likely to be wildly different than whatever crowd likes that stuff.

My second reaction is that I wouldn't be broadcasting the fact that I have no girlfriend, but again, that's just me...:D

20. XTC Blue

XTC Blue Silver Supporting Member

Ever hear Lane's Kaiser Nancarrow?

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Toby Krebs and FuzzyAce like this.